Cutting a Rug & Horses?

Heart

So maybe being able to cut up all those rugs on the floors of cabins? I mean they could be used as clothing and there just SO MANY OF THEM! Please let us walk into a cabin and cut them up for cloth.

Also I think having a horse, might be interesting, the need to catch  it and while it allows you to move faster and 'carry more', it also attracts wolves and bears. Not to mention trying to feed such an animal. Be an interesting challenge mode.

• 6 months later...

I think that the horse will be reserved for the spring sandbox,  because what will you feed it in winter wolf meat?!?, or maybe some peanut butter and tomato soup :) . The only grass type plant is cat tail stalk which you'll need lots of since it restores only 150 cal. to feed the horse you'll probably need 50 of them.

16 hours ago, vancopower said:

I think that the horse will be reserved for the spring sandbox,  because what will you feed it in winter wolf meat?!?, or maybe some peanut butter and tomato soup :) . The only grass type plant is cat tail stalk which you'll need lots of since it restores only 150 cal. to feed the horse you'll probably need 50 of them.

There is all kinds of hay in Pleasant Valley

Edit:

Horses are in the road map

With the horses (if there added) make sure there a breed like Clydesdales, because they can handle the cold.

and  also add so fruit and vegetables and at pleasant valley you can get hay?

Lovehandel please contact the developers because they'll listen to you.

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2017 at 9:46 AM, Bjern said:

According to the roadmap plan...

LONG TERM (12+ Month Window // R&D)

New travel options: Canoe, Horse

Yep, we are getting horses! Will likely be a bit of a wait however, but I'm sure well worth the wait!

REALLY ARE YOU SURE??!?

I think there is already enough stuff to cut up but being able to use the blankets/ bedrolls / rugs and move them makes sense. like move the extra bedrolls in a trailer or in the fishing cabins out into the fishing huts, put a rug on the floor there, or on the walls to add insulation, ... maybe move some of that stuff into the caves so you don't have to carry them all the time.

move a fire barrel around or better use the mountaineering ropes for additional tasks. like use it to lift heavy stuff in Hibernia or up a cliff?  I would likely cut up a rope into smaller segments and get some reclaimed wood and build a sled of sorts with some plastic crates on it to drag my moose kill....

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2017 at 10:22 PM, vancopower said:

I think that horses will be easy to leave alone to eat if you get the shovel in there, grass is always there even in winter, but its under snow and ice, so if you can just clear a spot, they can eat the grass that is dormant under the snow. So there is a use for a shovel! This should be a good thing to have.

On 4.3.2017 at 9:51 PM, WillDakenzie2000 said:

I think that horses will be easy to leave alone to eat if you get the shovel in there, grass is always there even in winter, but its under snow and ice, so if you can just clear a spot, they can eat the grass that is dormant under the snow. So there is a use for a shovel! This should be a good thing to have.

Hmm, to feed a horse you'll be doing a lot of shoveling.  :)  It is better to cut some pine trees and give the green leaves to the horse.  Recently I've fed a donkey with some dried up pine leaves not the spiky ones but the softer kind. 

In the absence of wind and moisture, horses tolerate temperatures at or slightly below 0°F. If horses have access to a shelter, they can tolerate temperatures as low as -40°F. However, horses are most comfortable at temperatures between 18 and 59°F, depending on their hair coat.

Equine winter care : Horse : University of Minnesota Extension

I think horses would seriously detract from the game, personally.... unless they were already dead and I could eat them. 

On 1/23/2017 at 7:22 PM, vancopower said:

There is lots of hay at the Pleasant Valley farm for horse feed. If you had a horse, you could have a wagon to haul feed for trips of up to a week or more especially if you had oats or chopped barley or wheat. Obviously, the horse will require other changes. Horses also find graze by pawing under the snow and can even browse small trees and shrubs.

The horses in Alberta tolerated -40C temps in winter by spending most of the time in the barn and by working hard hauling firewood or ice during winter. They could also have thick blankets to wear during cold weather but spent most of their time indoors when not traveling. Horses were very much a part of our heritage only a hundred years ago. My grandfathers used them. Actually, if I recall, those animals lived outdoors and sheltered in the thick spruce pastures for wind shelter. They had heavy (hair) coats and were well fed. If the temperatures dropped below -30, I would think it wise to bring them indoors to a barn. A barn makes its own heat from the animals and from the composting manure and such. Some barns had stoves, but not all. Milking has to be done inside a barn.

I thought about harvesting carpet for cloth when I started playing the game but, thinking through it, it doesn't make a lot of sense. I've never actually tried to repair a pair of socks, or windbreaker, with a piece of carpet, but I can't imagine it being a trivial task. It might be useful against wolf attack (I'm thinking those heavy padded suits they use to train attack dogs with), but it would be seriously hard to move around in. Unless all the cabins have thin woven rugs on the floor, I think it's a non-starter.

Using a rug as a groundsheet to add extra warmth to a sleeping bag might have merit, but they'd be really heavy to lug around - there's a good reason that these are usually closed-cell foam or inflatable in nature. 

Archived