Homebrew Community Challenges

cullam

So after having a ton of fun with the new Challenge modes (thanks devs!), I've been hungry for more. One of the beautiful things about how open ended this game is it's possible to set out challenges for the community, and people can simply play the game in a way to meet them. I've seen at least one on here before (the craft everything as fast as possible challenge), so I thought I'd start a thread to come up with more. If you've done something fun that you think other people could try, let us know!

Community Challenge: The Homely Homestead

Start up the Hopeless Rescue Challenge, but completely ignore the real objective. Get a fire going in the stove in the Trapper's Cabin, and keep it burning for the entire week, without ever going out. 

OK, let's hear some suggestions for interesting things to attempt in game! 

• Survive the first 30 days without eating anything that requires a can opener (easy)
  • No weapons (medium)
  • No predator meat (medium)
  • Place an item (matches are fine) on the highest accessible point of any map (don't know about difficulty, but it seems fun)
  • No antibiotics (hard, I guess)

Just now, cullam said:

I like the placing an item at the highest point idea. For thematic reasons, I'd go with either a flare, or a campfire though! 

Flare would be better, I'm still unsure if campfires disappear or not. Although, well, a screenshot of a campfire might suffice. If you do this, post about it here!

There are a few community challenges out there. 

-Hardmode (by Kraelman i think): Basicly it means outdoor only + not sleeping in fishing huts and the backside of a cave (warmth bonus)

-Naked and Afraid: Drop everything you have right after you spawned, except 2 items of your choice except clothes.

-Speedcraft: In this challenge you have to craft everything as fast as possible (variation - with or without items requiring  a forge)

-Undertaker (by me): You are only allowed to take the loot from corpses and what is directly beside it. Plants, wood ... are allowed to collect/harvest too.

-Family Survival (by Kraelman i think): You are not alone! Everytime you eat, you have to put three times the amount of calories (and water) somewhere (you are not allowed to touch this food/water anymore)

You can combine them. A nice combination for example is hardmode+naked and afraid+speedcraft. Also challenging is Undertaker (starting in ML) + fire the flare at day 30 at the summit. Normally played in Stalker difficulty, but ofc can be used in the others too.

In addition, i have the idea for a challenge that i have to test first, but looks promising: In that challenge you have to survive by staying in the transition area between CH and the mine to DP (Not allowed to enter the mine).

Something I just came up with: Artificial injuries. For example, I deliberately use broken headphones to simulate hearing damage from the plane crash - basically, the right side of the headphone is completely mute and the left side is pretty silent. You could also turn down the brightness to simulate eye damage.

• 2 weeks later...

Anymore out there? 

Currently doing a game where I'm keeping my indoor hours to 0. Might try this again without fishing huts like the hard mode challenge above but I'm looking for more challenge ideas for my next game.

I sort of do this already:

Hoarder Challenge - get every possible non-respawning item from an entire map, port it to a designated location. Includes all natural items (rosehips, reishi, etc.) and non-cut wood and water bottles, and at least all sources of harvest-able cloth as well. Actually harder to do in Voyager since there's so much stuff. I've spent the better part of a week in game just hauling stuff from all over ML back up the Carter Dam. I got 3 full lockers and still have a few more trips back to various cache locations to go. Then I have to go back and check since I'm pretty sure I left several chairs and pillows I think I forgot to harvest so far as well. And I just remembered, metal is not renewable and there's a hacksaw, so that will mean more trips to go get all that metal.

World Hoarder - My ultimate goal, so far never achieved, is to completely scrounge every item from all maps and bring it ALL back to a "permanent home" probably the farmhouse in PV in part just to count it up. That's a ton of long hauling trips, even with supply caches set up. Going back to get all that harvest-able cloth and metal alone is daunting. Some long treks in my future, but we need every scrap if we're going to start a new world! 

Both of these are pretty much what I set out to do every game. Even relaxing the cloth and metal harvesting part, I've only come close to getting all of three maps worth of stuff over to PV when the new regions came out. I remember I had 10 or 12 lanterns at one point. I was going to light them all and make a long trail outside - then my save file got too old for the update :( 

SANTA'S LITTLE NIGHTMARE!

evil-santa.jpeg

Here's my challenge. It's damn hard, ready?

drop everything, including clothes. And the only thing you can have in your inventory  when you start is matches and tinder.

Rules for fire, 

you are only allowed to use sticks, nothing else.

rules for food- you are only allowed to eat what you immediately get. No saving food.

rules for meds- only two types of meds allowed, beard dressing and antibiotics (for food poisoning) 

rules for shelter- you are only allowed to live in snow shelter and buildings can only be entered during daytime.

rules for weapons- after one shot, you are not allowed to use found weapon... Again

rules for snares. You are allowed to use one snare, however, when using it, you are not allowed to leave snow shelter after placing it until a rabbit is ensnared.

rules for clothes- You may only wear a scarf, nothing else.

i name this challenge

SANTA'S LITTLE NIGHTMARE

mwahahahaha

good luck.

Archived