not comfy with some peoples opinions. :(

Crimson Foxx

i am starting to wish i never had the silly wolf pet idea now. I honestly didnt expect it to cause this much chaos. I really was not seeking a expert real life explanation of how a wolf thinks acts or copes with humans. I only thought that maybe a pet wolf or dog would make a good companion and create another living being to support and feed and take care of. 

Maybe i should have suggested a frog or mouse.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Crimson Foxx said:

i am starting to wish i never had the silly wolf pet idea now. I honestly didnt expect it to cause this much chaos. I really was not seeking a expert real life explanation of how a wolf thinks acts or copes with humans. I only thought that maybe a pet wolf or dog would make a good companion and create another living being to support and feed and take care of. 

Never ever should you not discuss an idea. Really, that's all I'll say about this.

Wolves are out of the question to tame. an actual dog, however, might make an interesting addition.

My only concern is,

what would happen to the dog when the aurora is in effect?

Geomagnetic anomalies can cause aggressive/maladaptive behavior in animals. 

And sadly, everything is mortal, and I'm afraid the dog would have needs too, taking care of a dog might be more trouble than it is worth? 

Either way, a domesticated animal is up to the devs to decide, they have concerns of their own when implementing things, like if it fits into their game "vision" or not. 

@Crimson Foxx Please don't be discouraged by any opposing views in this forum, we all are very passionate about this game and sometimes that passion can make us salty XD. This same debate has popped up before, in my opinion it should up to the devs to decide. And if/when they put it on the roadmap, then we discuss it. 

5 hours ago, Crimson Foxx said:

You think taming is bad, try suggesting a compass... i dare you(battlefield on this topic has probably more broken spears than all others combined). 8)

And dog, imo, would make quite a lot of sense. Plus, its would be actually realistic, and fit gameplay.

12 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

You think taming is bad, try suggesting a compass... i dare you(battlefield on this topic has probably more broken spears than all others combined). 8)

And dog, imo, would make quite a lot of sense. Plus, its would be actually realistic, and fit gameplay.

But would the dog survive? That's the real question, I mean, there are wild dogs in Chernobyl and things, but the weather? What would weed out the possible dog breeds? Not an argument! Just a question. :D

question

what acting force would weed out dogs not suited to the environment? 

My research shows these dogs would not only survive, but thrive in this environment 

http://www.outsideonline.com/1859446/20-best-cold-weather-dog-breeds#slide-3

These dogs are not only cute, but even in a apocalyptic environment, they wouldn't look savage, like this for example

Now comes the fun part...

the dog would fight with surrounding wolves.

You'd need to feed it (dog food, meat, obviously)

if it gets injured in scuffles, you'd need to patch it up

And even  possibly raise it as a puppy!

2 hours ago, Docterrok said:

But would the dog survive?

Dont really see why not. Dogs in the area are most likely accustomed to surrounding conditions, even be4 Event. And unless devs will decide to make a cruel joke and add something along the lines of dog-and-rat-cross-called-chihuahua that would only fit for dinner, dogs should be just fine.

Its not some suburbs in major metropolitan area where half the dogs dont even deserve to be called dogs, this is as good as it gets for having(and training) strong smart animals by your side and im sure that one or two of those still wander surrounding hills, staying close to their former homes.

And since Event havent happened that long ago they wont have a chance to become wild. They may not have an extreme survival skills and senses as wolves do ,but it doesnt mean that they all would just drop dead all of the sudden.

The thing about the whole "taming a wolf" suggestion is that:

1) It gets suggested every other week. I am being only slightly hyperbolic, here.

2) It is so unrealistic as to be laughable. HUmanity didn't "domesticate" wolves by petting them and scratching them behind the ears a couple of times. Domestication is literally genetic modification through artificial selection, and by definition it takes place over many generations. It took hundreds, if not thousands, of generations to domesticate the wolf into the dog.

You, almost by definition, cannot domesticate wolves. You can tame an individual, but that requires breaking its spirit and supplanting its normal pack structure. Plus, you are going to have to almost-literally fight the creature for dominance every once in a while.

Plus, you know, the standard "use the search bar" shpiel.

What about in the movie White Fang (based on a true story I believe), that kid didn't have to beat the wolf into submission.

On 6/28/2016 at 7:23 PM, Crimson Foxx said:

I am not sure i wish to add my ideas or thoughts on possible wishes for this games content when it seems people take it way too seriously and forget this is a game and not real life.

I created a topic ( wish i have now deleted) suggesting a nice idea of a pet wolf or dog that could be a player companion. What i got was replies suggesting that it was cruelty to a wolf to try to beat it into submission because in 'real life' you would need to beat or hurt or aggressively make a wild wolf into being tame. Maybe in the real world this is true. But this is a game and if my idea is going to be treated like it was then i see no point in suggesting ideas. I do not condone animal cruelty or even expect Hinterland to create any gameplay that would cause the player to be cruel and beat an animal. For people to even suggest the idea would lead to that is sad.

So i deleted it and will likely from now on remain a silent observer of your ideas. I have lost any desire to make suggestions or give ideas. sorry.

Hopefully you reconsider.  

I am fairly new here as well and some of my ideas have been responded to with contempt for what i'm saying or just ignored.  For the time I have been here, most of the people commenting seem to want to truly help the game become the best it can be or just want more of an explanation to or an in game example of what you mean.

For the most part, this really is a great forum for good ideas and mostly well meaning people.  You are correct that some need to remember this IS a game, but it is based on a possible real world scenario.  That is what I like most about the game.  

• 2 weeks later...

I personally think the Wolf Taming is a great idea, would make a fantastic addition to the Sandbox. Who cares if its realistic? you wanna throw out the realism card? Well, how realistic is it for the wolves to be attacking on sight? how real is starving to death after burning 2500 calories? or getting 8 kg of meat from a huge deer and having to eat 3 full Kg of it to fill your stomach?  how realistic is dying of exhaustion after being awake for only a few hours?  Hinterland has specifically stated that the geo magnetic disaster has altered wildlife behavior, so on that basis, it is not a stretch to believe that a wolf may become non-aggressive after being fed a couple times. My idea is for the wolves which are already hanging out in or near human influence, such as the coastal townsite, or dam, if a player can manage to successfully "decoy" one 3 times, without ever harming it, it would approach without aggression, and you could feed it. Afterwards, it would accompany the player, perhaps giving a chance of deterring other wolves and bears from attacking, hunting with and for the player, of course, anything it kills on its own, the player would get only half the meat and guts, and a hide from. It would not hunt or kill other wolves or bears, only rabbits and deer. It could also help the player track and run down wounded game. And most importantly, it would add 5 to 8 degrees of warmth on nights spent outside, in caves or snowshelters. 

And lastly, for all those of you who demonize someone for starting a new topic on this, when there are many others, if a person feels they have new ideas, or something to add, commenting on someone elses old topic, probably isnt going to get your ideas any attention...

I understand @Crimson Foxx hesitance to post ideas. I am a new member and I feel the same way.

I read many, many posts on this forum and also think some people are a bit harsh in their comments.

I posted a bug yesterday, but was VERY hesitant to do so because of bad reactions.  I made sure I read all the fixed bugs and already reported bugs, so I didn't report an old bug, then crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. No bad comments at all but a nice comment from Hinterland that they will fiix it.

Yes! My first bug post went ok, but still hesitant to express my ideas here though.....

Bug posts are fine, it's kinda my fault, I was trying to educate. I only irked the hell out of people, realism with wolf taming would involve abuse sadly...

35 minutes ago, Baukster77 said:

I understand @Crimson Foxx hesitance to post ideas. I am a new member and I feel the same way.

I read many, many posts on this forum and also think some people are a bit harsh in their comments.

I posted a bug yesterday, but was VERY hesitant to do so because of bad reactions.  I made sure I read all the fixed bugs and already reported bugs, so I didn't report an old bug, then crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. No bad comments at all but a nice comment from Hinterland that they will fiix it.

Yes! My first bug post went ok, but still hesitant to express my ideas here though.....

30 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Bug posts are fine, it's kinda my fault, I was trying to educate. I only irked the hell out of people, realism with wolf taming would involve abuse sadly...

Doctoerrok, I have been on this forum long enough to know that you mean well in your responses.  This is the issues with emails, texts and yes even forums; the meaning gets lost in translation because you cannot express feelings or intent through these means without a long explanation.

Just now, Mikeyd0577 said:

Doctoerrok, I have been on this forum long enough to know that you mean well in your responses.  This is the issues with emails, texts and yes even forums; the meaning gets lost in translation because you cannot express feelings or intent through these means without a long explanation.

Thanks man. I also got mauled by a coyote last summer, got a wicked infection, coyotes are like wolves, but smaller, I hunt them because they killed all of my chickens and rabbits. I don't hate coyotes, but they are a pest that needs to be controlled, and the plus side is they do an excellent job feeding my garden! 

48 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

Don't take all the blame, maybe on the wolf topic..  but there are more people who express themselves a bit bluntly ;)

Archived