not comfy with some peoples opinions. :(

Crimson Foxx

I am not sure i wish to add my ideas or thoughts on possible wishes for this games content when it seems people take it way too seriously and forget this is a game and not real life.

I created a topic ( wish i have now deleted) suggesting a nice idea of a pet wolf or dog that could be a player companion. What i got was replies suggesting that it was cruelty to a wolf to try to beat it into submission because in 'real life' you would need to beat or hurt or aggressively make a wild wolf into being tame. Maybe in the real world this is true. But this is a game and if my idea is going to be treated like it was then i see no point in suggesting ideas. I do not condone animal cruelty or even expect Hinterland to create any gameplay that would cause the player to be cruel and beat an animal. For people to even suggest the idea would lead to that is sad.

So i deleted it and will likely from now on remain a silent observer of your ideas. I have lost any desire to make suggestions or give ideas. sorry.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Crimson Foxx said:

I am not sure i wish to add my ideas or thoughts on possible wishes for this games content when it seems people take it way too seriously and forget this is a game and not real life.

I created a topic ( wish i have now deleted) suggesting a nice idea of a pet wolf or dog that could be a player companion. What i got was replies suggesting that it was cruelty to a wolf to try to beat it into submission because in 'real life' you would need to beat or hurt or aggressively make a wild wolf into being tame. Maybe in the real world this is true. But this is a game and if my idea is going to be treated like it was then i see no point in suggesting ideas. I do not condone animal cruelty or even expect Hinterland to create any gameplay that would cause the player to be cruel and beat an animal. For people to even suggest the idea would lead to that is sad.

So i deleted it and will likely from now on remain a silent observer of your ideas. I have lost any desire to make suggestions or give ideas. sorry.

Hello Crimson Foxx, thanks for your message. I'm sorry after just a few days here you've been left with this impression. We ask that all opinions, respectfully shared, receive respect in return. I regret you didn't feel that with your post. Even if you take a break, I hope you don't stay away too long. And if you should need to ask about the tone or language being used in one of your threads in the future, please send me or one of the moderators a message and we will take a look. 

--Patrick

I know I'm not in any position to be posting here, considering the fact that I'm not a moderator, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Apologies in advance in case of misunderstandings: I am not a native English speaker, and if things sound mean, I didn't mean them that way.

Sad, really. I haven't seen all your posts, but the ones I saw were well thought-out, thought-provoking and constructive. So, while our 'acquintance' has been short, I know we're losing a valuable forum member, which is sad. It's even sadder because a very vocal, very small minority seems to have caused this. This is not the way I want this community to go, and I am sure most will agree with me on this.

I may sound needy here, but I do implore you to give the forums another chance. Granted, there's a minority of mean people here - you're gonna find those anywhere. However, the majority are, probably, on your side and want you to stay - judging from what I have read from your posts, I really do want you here.

So, please prove me wrong and don't make us lose a valuable member. Discussions to get heated here, yes. Sometimes people say things they shouldn't, yes. However, these forums have tremendously committed moderators who strive for one thing: To make these forums a place for everyone do discuss. Please don't be discouraged.

Just a disclaimer: I am not blaming you, in case it sounded like that. I just wanted to encourage you to stay with us and work together with us, the mods and the devs to make this an even more awesome community and a petri dish for good ideas.

1 hour ago, Crimson Foxx said:I am not sure i wish to add my ideas or thoughts on possible wishes for this games content when it seems people take it way too seriously and forget this is a game and not real life.

That was my thought, I'm sorry I irked you in that way, that was not my intention, I'm so sorry, I meant to simply educate, not disgust, I truly apologize for my conduct, I'll make sure to cut the "realistic" aspects of such ideas, please don't stop posting! ^_^

@Crimson Foxx  i answer to your post on wolf pet and english is not my native language so i m sorry if it seems "aggressive" or too straight.

it s not against you or your idea. 

feel free to post :) i saw your other posts and you have a lot of good idea 

we all love this game and all point of view are good enough to be discuss.

And a lot of time i post an idea and it has already been post a lot a time so for a lot of members the discussion is "closed"  ( and the pet wolf is a great exemple :P )

see you later i hope ;) 

and i want a dog in the game !!!!!!!! please please hinterland :D 

I was not expecting so much support and kind words since my upset and decision to back off from interacting here. I do appreciate it and i will reconsider. The Long Dark is by far one of the very best games i have ever played on my PC. It sums up everything i enjoy and feel passionate about in an immersive survival game. I adore the artistic ' painted' style of the graphics and there are times in game where i stop what i am doing and just simply stare at the world around me in complete awe. 

I know you all feel the same or you would not be here inputting your ideas and passion as well. Maybe our passion just overflows a little too much at times and we almost forget the line between in-game world and the real world :). We strive to make the experience as real as possible and therefore notice the tiny details and querks and flaws that need fixing. I think every idea has merit and every idea has potential for tweaking and improving. 

I dont know if a pet wolf or dog idea is a good one or even possible. But i do know if it is and its something Hinterland was ever to consider they would do it right and appreciate help in making it work. I do not and i am certain Hinterland do not condone or support any animal cruelty. If i felt the ONLY way to have a pet wolf or dog in this game was to harm it first then i would not have even posted that idea. 

But i also fell short of being open minded and mature about it and maybe should have just overlooked an comment i disagreed with. We are not always going to agree with an idea or comment. We just have to overlook those moments or respond maturely and carefully.

Discussion and responses and constructive criticism is healthy and needed for a game to develop. Your all incredibly imaginative and artistic people who all ache to see this game grow. I wish to be a part of your community and share my own passions with you. 

Thank you for still being there. :) 

Crimson Foxx.

5 hours ago, Crimson Foxx said:

I was not expecting so much support and kind words since my upset and decision to back off from interacting here. I do appreciate it and i will reconsider. The Long Dark is by far one of the very best games i have ever played on my PC. It sums up everything i enjoy and feel passionate about in an immersive survival game. I adore the artistic ' painted' style of the graphics and there are times in game where i stop what i am doing and just simply stare at the world around me in complete awe. 

I know you all feel the same or you would not be here inputting your ideas and passion as well. Maybe our passion just overflows a little too much at times and we almost forget the line between in-game world and the real world :). We strive to make the experience as real as possible and therefore notice the tiny details and querks and flaws that need fixing. I think every idea has merit and every idea has potential for tweaking and improving. 

I dont know if a pet wolf or dog idea is a good one or even possible. But i do know if it is and its something Hinterland was ever to consider they would do it right and appreciate help in making it work. I do not and i am certain Hinterland do not condone or support any animal cruelty. If i felt the ONLY way to have a pet wolf or dog in this game was to harm it first then i would not have even posted that idea. 

But i also fell short of being open minded and mature about it and maybe should have just overlooked an comment i disagreed with. We are not always going to agree with an idea or comment. We just have to overlook those moments or respond maturely and carefully.

Discussion and responses and constructive criticism is healthy and needed for a game to develop. Your all incredibly imaginative and artistic people who all ache to see this game grow. I wish to be a part of your community and share my own passions with you. 

Thank you for still being there. :) 

Crimson Foxx.

glad to hear it! :D

20 hours ago, Crimson Foxx said:

Never be sorry about your ideas.

And those replies are from moron(s) who know absolutely nothing on that subject. Taming animal do NOT make it submissive and controllable by human, it merely makes it tad less wild. It will remain a dangerous wild animal, no matter how much effort and time you will put into it.

And beating it into submission ? Thats the stupidest thing ever. You cant break a wolf(as it may work with humans), at "best" youl render animal into catatonic state this way. Simplicity of their consciousness prevents from such things to work. It may appear tame, but if it will see a chance it will go for your throat without hesitation.

So, shrug it off and keep on going. There will always be some1 who will think that they know best, thats the nature of the internet.

3 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Never be sorry about your ideas.

And those replies are from moron(s) who know absolutely nothing on that subject. Taming animal do NOT make it submissive and controllable by human, it merely makes it tad less wild. It will remain a dangerous wild animal, no matter how much effort and time you will put into it.

And beating it into submission ? Thats the stupidest thing ever. You cant break a wolf(as it may work with humans), at "best" youl render animal into catatonic state this way. Simplicity of their consciousness prevents from such things to work. It may appear tame, but if it will see a chance it will go for your throat without hesitation.

So, shrug it off and keep on going. There will always be some1 who will think that they know best, thats the nature of the internet.

Just now, Docterrok said:

uhhh, im a moron? ;)

i mean, dont alpha males fight with wolves who challenge there authority?

Guys, we just settled the matter so let's not break out into another discussion. As for the question of animal taming, we have an actual certified veterinarian on the board so maybe we should just wait until she shows up, aight?

1 minute ago, Wastelander said:

Guys, we just settled the matter so let's not break out into another discussion. As for the question of animal taming, we have an actual certified veterinarian on the board so maybe we should just wait until she shows up, aight?

someones gotta get her! vet,, we need your help! calling vet lady!

someones gotta get her! vet,, we need your help! calling vet lady!

I'm just gonna PM her. Wait for results.

Just a side note for the mods: I am NOT backseat-moderating here, at least this wasn't my intention. Instead my intention was to prevent a situation that made moderating necessary in the first place. Thank you in advance.

7 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Just a side note for the mods: I am NOT backseat-moderating here, at least this wasn't my intention. Instead my intention was to prevent a situation that made moderating necessary in the first place. Thank you in advance.

Nothing bad about your reaction from my point of view. I'm the last person on planet earth who's going to declare it a bad decision to ask someone with a greater knowledge than yours for advice. Infact, the world would probably be a much better place if more people did that.:winky:

@hauteecolerider: I hereby summon thee, please heed my call and enlighten the poor townfolk asking for your advice!

18 minutes ago, Docterrok said:

i mean, dont alpha males fight with wolves who challenge there authority?

From my admittedly-limited understanding of how wolves function in real life, the positions known as "alpha, beta, omega", etc don't actually exist in the wild. That distinction occurred in captive populations of wolves, where we basically just threw a bunch of unrelated wolves together in a habitat.

In real life, and in the wilderness, wolves are family units. The "alphas" of the pack are the breeding pair, basically the parents of the rest of the pack.

10 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Nothing bad about your reaction from my point of view. I'm the last person on planet earth who's going to declare it a bad decision to ask someone with a greater knowledge than yours for advice. Infact, the world would probably be a much better place if more people did that.:winky:

@hauteecolerider: I hereby summon thee, please heed my call and enlighten the poor townfolk asking for your advice!

Thanks!
I already PMed her, just waiting for results so we can get this cleared up once and for all. On a side note, can we get a sticky with frequently requested items and, if necessary, why they won't be included? Not necessarily related to this topic, but I keep spotting people asking about cannibalism and so on, so maybe a sticky could solve some problems here.

22 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Thanks!
I already PMed her, just waiting for results so we can get this cleared up once and for all. On a side note, can we get a sticky with frequently requested items and, if necessary, why they won't be included? Not necessarily related to this topic, but I keep spotting people asking about cannibalism and so on, so maybe a sticky could solve some problems here.

I doubt that she can tell you something more on the subject than world renown scholar who studies wolves for a living.

1 minute ago, Dirmagnos said:

I doubt that she can tell you something more on the subject than world renown scholar who studies wolves for a living.

Well, she has been a consistent source of knowledge, a good person to discuss with and fun to be around, at least in my admittedly short time around here. If you do, however, possess such knowledge, you're also very well invited to clear this up for us

12 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Well, she has been a consistent source of knowledge, a good person to discuss with and fun to be around, at least in my admittedly short time around here. If you do, however, possess such knowledge, you're also very well invited to clear this up for us

Im not an expert, thats why i turned to one who is when this question arose last time. Kathryn Lord

Archived