Pros and Cons of Running

Finnish Canuck

Seems you move twice as fast and burn twice the calories

But does you fatigue also increase twice as much? If so then running should only be used to get to a rock wall to avoid windchill, animals and to get out of the cold into a cabin quicker.

Also does having low hunger and thirst levels decrease your gains on fatigue/cold? Is it worth keeping your hunger/thirst low? Does it increase your condition recovery after sleeping?

I was trying to work out if running warms me up... I know it would in real life. But then again I suppose once I stopped the sweat from running would also cool me if I wasn't somewhere dry and warm so maybe this is a fair trade off.

It won't warm you up currently. There is a very severe risk of sweat which is not calculated into the game yet, but it's been suggested. (By me) :-)

• 3 weeks later...

I have many years of experience from the norwegian outdoors both as a civilian and from the army.

What we always learn and practice is the following:

• Clothing should be in layers. Each layer holds air and keeps you warm.
  • Wool is better then cotton (already implemented)
  • Always wear windproof layer as the outmost layer when windy
  • When stationary put on extra layer inside outmost layer, like JIB (jacket in a bag), thick wool sweater, and maybe another layer on your lower parts.
  • In the winter and sometimes autumn/spring wear fotposer (can't find a suiting name in english) outside your boots
  • When moving take of maybe all layers except a sweat transport inner layer and outer wind layer. Adjust the layers based on the effort. This way you will keep your cloths dry while you still is warm. Dress up as soon as you get stationary
  • If your clothing get wet you can get around in different ways. A) Dry them up with body heat. Takes long time and might go to slow so you will get cold. B) Use heat to dry your cloths. Will only work inside or in a tent. C) Dry your cloths by completely freeze them down. Then you can break of the ice and you will have dry cloths again. Works best with outermost clothing where moist will not freeze up inside the material but more on the outside.

To summarize (real life): Move with less clothing, just enough to keep you warm. When stationary put on more layers. Also prefer wool before cotton as wool keeps you warm even when wet.

Archived