Animal textures and their behaviour.

Crimson Foxx

I have a wish and its something i posted in a different topic but felt it needed to be here as well and hopefully humbly have some of your time and attentions and thoughts..

I dont like that the animals are so easy to see. They are almost black and stand out so so easily on the snow. If the wolves had more camouflage , maybe instead of almost black, they could be light grey or various grey patches of fur or even white snow wolves then i would fear them more. Also the Bears could be a bit lighter, maybe with some fallen snow on their slow walking bodies, just to help them be less visible and more of a nasty surprise. All of course still in the painted theme of the game but just harder to see and more likely to surprise you. Right now i can see them so easily and therefore easily avoid them. The deer too. give them lighter fur. Maybe the rabbits can be light grey or tan or even white snow wabbits!. 

Now obviously i am not gonna claim to know in accurate detail the fur patterns of specific north american/Canadian wildlife, if you can suggest ideas on this please go ahead. But all i think is that the less likely i am to see or hear them , the more likely they will worry me and i will find myself more cautious.

I also would like to see them quieter. i have learn quickly to hear their footprints and avoid them. The bear i hear breathing from far off so he never ever surprises me at all. I dont mind if right as he is close and in a very dangerous range, even maybe when he has detected me he makes bear groans and bear grunts or even snaps twigs with his heavy paws as he moves in on me. Maybe then the heavier snow tread can be heard and thats what makes you bolt and run. The wolves too i hear a lot. i do adore that they howl and bark and growl. and this should be in the game. But maybe give them silent stalking/hunting . Make their snow steps silent as if they are cautiously creeping up on me. i want to panic and either have to duck down and stay still and hidden until they pass or run for it or have to fight. I think cougars when introduced will also need stealth visually and audibly.

With the animals i would also like to see better AI. I dont like that animals zig zag. And i mean run away and then right back at you and even through you!. If a deer or wabbit bolts they go and STAY GONE unless you chase or TRACK! This is where footprints and tracking will come into its own and a joy. The only way you will find prey either injured or not is by skillful tracking. Following their footprints, checking for broken twigs or blood drops or if a predator, a kill pattern. Having them run right back at you and through you kills any tracking option and immersion, its annoying. and almost in moments they act like nothing happened and go all calm and forget what happened.

I would like to see bears get mad. When you dive into a car or cabin the bears stand up and with fore-paws rock the car or hit it and do they spine chilling bear roar. They cant get in and your maybe safe but at least when they move off your gonna be needing new pants! hehe maybe when they are outside cabins you hear them snuffling at the door or heavy steps until its quiet, then have they gone??!! Do you dare step outside to check? :)

Wolves too i wish would patrol in closer formation. I dont like that even in packs one wolf can attack you and the others seem oblivious if not close as well. I wanna always fear a whole pack knowing the whole pack is hunting me not just one wolf. There should be lone-wolves. Thats importamnt too but they should be seperate. All packs should be closer together and support each other.  And less deer and rabbits!. I swear they are populating way too fast! so many and too easy to just keep shooting them and having carcasses everywhere. They should be harder to see and find. especially as more species and variants get added to this game over time. I dont wish to see this game become a large hunting reservation full of prey everywhere.

I love this game so so much. Its why i am passionate about improvements. Nothing i have written is i any way suggesting the game is broken or intending to negatively knock the game or belittle it. I am just suggesting it needs even more greatness. :)

yes. i do hope it is made a bit harder. maybe the wolfpack difficulty would be on stalker mode games. so the harder the game mode, the more the packs work together and closer. and the camoflage can simply be just grey furs that are just a bit harder to notice than black wolves on white snow. but not too hard to see :)

Agreed,

A singular wolf is now almost a welcome opportunity to fight in melee for its meat without having to use an arrow or bullet.

The most that happens is a bandage and a few painkillers...... if the wolf was in a pack I would avoid or seriously need to consider using a flare. The only use for flares is early game before i get a gun or bow. 

with a pack of wolves i would feel the use of the flare even if I had a gun as the gun cannot reload as fast as they might attack. Unless I had protection or a place to conceal myself safely. 

Again, I agree on the deer, I have had many instances where I have shot at a deer only to miss and have the deer run away about 100 yards, stop and then go back to feeding. Deer should be a bit rarer and then if hit traceable via blood or trackable via tracks but it should be more of a pain if you spook them. Having to crouch and get a good vantage point remember to be downwind etc

Hopefully they will also change the animal corpse when you harvest them too. Every corpse looks the same whether it has had all or none of its meat, pelt and guts taken ! It may look gruesome i agree, but surely we can have some change to the animal once it has been harvested. 

yes  harvested corpses would look good if they changed after having skin and guts removed and meat. Maybe more into a skeletal bloody mess. I like how the dead deer you come across look rotten. Hinterland have done a super job so far. All these ideas are just possible enhancements.

• 2 months later...

hello, I think it's important to add a little bit more Ai to the wolves. The wolves usually hunt, travel, live, etc. in packs of 6 up to 15 individuals, it's rare to see a lone wolf, even more rare to see one attack a large prey alone, which mean it's either desperate or an omega. Also the wolves or the bears don't run in zigzag to the prey when aimed at. A desperate wolf would try to run away and strike back a few moments later from the back or the sides when the pray it's unaware. Finally, the wolves are fast really fast, it's about 60km/h in a rush, wich it's 16.5m/s; this mean when the character rises his rifle the wolf has already run 16.5 meters

Wolves do travel, live and hunt in packs, but they do not scout in packs, as wolves that we see in game. It simply makes no sense for them to move around in pack without any clear purpose - its a waste of energy and makes them easier detectable. Also, while wolves can dash, they cant maintain such speed for very long and they prefer ambushes to direct chase since prey can often outrun them.

So lone wolves moving around actually makes sense.

Archived