Are arrows that are shot on ice supposed to disappear ?

ZlatanHazard

It was the first time i ever got a bow (the one in desolation point at katie's secluded corner , also i'm kind of a noob in TLD >,<), and i decided to try it out , thinking it couldn't be that hard, and oh boy i was wrong . Tried to shoot a deer , ended up missing it completely , and by completely i mean COMPLETELY , and so the arrow hit the ice and when i went to retrieve it it was no where to be found. So is this a feature or a bug ? I mean , is there really any reason why would an arrow disappear if it hit the ice ?

It won't have disappeared, they bounce/ricochet off the ice.

which is why I usually avoid using my bow on ice sheets. Or at least make sure you're looking inland if DP/CH or toward snow bank in ML. That way when they bounce /you miss theres a good chance of finding it stuck in the snow.

also not really tested this but I think I does less damage to your arrow if hitting snow rather than ice.

hope this helps.

good luck.

13 hours ago, ZlatanHazard said:

Well , if the arrow had bounced off the ice it wouldn't have gone that far off right ? I mean i kept looking and looking around the area where i shot the deer but i couldn't find it :S 

Actually I prefer to hunt on the ice - after losing an arrow inside a ridge! I like the flat spaces on the ice. Most of my hunting has been in ML and CH, and I know that the arrow bounces a loooooong way from its impact. 

So when I shoot, I watch the ice (not the target) for the spray from the arrow if I miss. Then I keep my eyes on that spot, walk up to it, and drop a chunk of scrap metal (I try to keep one or two in my pocket for that purpose). It's too easy to pick up sticks for fire . . . 

Then I search in widening arcs from that point of impact until I find the arrow. Once I find it, I come back, pick up the scrap metal, and pick up the hunt once again.

Sometimes I drop the scrap on the impact point, then go after the deer and harvest it, then return to the scrap and search from there.

Twice I wouldn't find the arrow until the next day. The scrap metal stays put until I find it. 

3 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

Actually I prefer to hunt on the ice - after losing an arrow inside a ridge! I like the flat spaces on the ice. Most of my hunting has been in ML and CH, and I know that the arrow bounces a loooooong way from its impact. 

So when I shoot, I watch the ice (not the target) for the spray from the arrow if I miss. Then I keep my eyes on that spot, walk up to it, and drop a chunk of scrap metal (I try to keep one or two in my pocket for that purpose). It's too easy to pick up sticks for fire . . . 

Then I search in widening arcs from that point of impact until I find the arrow. Once I find it, I come back, pick up the scrap metal, and pick up the hunt once again.

Sometimes I drop the scrap on the impact point, then go after the deer and harvest it, then return to the scrap and search from there.

Twice I wouldn't find the arrow until the next day. The scrap metal stays put until I find it. 

I tried shooting the ice and yeeeah arrows don't disappear , but you're right they do bounce a bloody long way that's why i couldn't find the arrow >,< Thanks for the advice btw , it's gonna help me a lot ^,^

11 hours ago, cekivi said:

Two other things to note:

Arrows lose more condition when shot at the ice

There are practice archery targets on the Pleasant Valley map behind the barn if you'd like to get the hang of how the bow works.

I've been practicing at the barn and I was like Robin Hood: amazing results. Then I go back to try to hit deers and wolves... and I freaking suck again :)

Since the arrows will lose condition while practicing on the archery targets and... most likely you'll get the wrong idea, I'd personally advice to practice on the real deal. You'll eventually learn to trust your instint, angle wise. I've been making long shots lately that I considered impossible before. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/29/2016 at 1:13 AM, Nasdaq401 said:

I've had arrows completely dissapear before on a consistent basis, it definitely does happen sometimes 

Sticks dropped will almost disappear on some surfaces because the rendered texture of the snow/surface is above the actual level of the physical location of where the stick is resting. I lost 3 arrows yesterday at the edge of Mystery Lake and couldn't find them in 4 hours of game time. This is partly why the game looks so good, but altering the way you play because the geometry of how the level is constructed badly breaks immersion in the game.

On 6/29/2016 at 4:13 AM, Nasdaq401 said:

I've had arrows completely dissapear before on a consistent basis, it definitely does happen sometimes 

I have not lost one single arrow since the last update, and I want to say, even the one before that. They don't disappear, they are simply very hard/impossible to see sometimes. They are there though, and often if you go back a day later, they will have popped up on top of the snow. I've also hit rocks and trees before and had the arrow not be visible to pick up, but when i went back a day or two later, there it was. This can also happen if you hit an animal and it falls over dead onto the side the arrow is in. You have to go back after its corpse goes away, and there the arrow will be, laying on the snow. They are visually glitchy, no doubt about it, but I have found that persistence pays off in getting them back.   As for the skittering they do on ice, Ive had one go completely across Crystal lake before. Shot at a wolf, facing the lake on the Western side, missed, saw the arrow hit the ice just a couple meters out from shore, and found it in the snowbank on the eastern side of the lake.  

Archived