Nature vs you

SteveP

On March 22, 2016 at 2:13 PM, cekivi said:

If they're fleeing wouldn't they be avoiding you? The animal AI is so jumpy that it is sometimes hard to avoid animals since they can change directions very quickly.

I wouldn't mind thin ice as a risk on some of the rivers, near the dam and the coast. Fast moving water doesn't have a chance to freeze very thick and presents a risk throughout the entire winter. The river behind my house always froze over in the winter but there was one spot where it was very shallow but fast moving over bedrock. You could go there in January with -15C days and still have open flowing water :)

To make it not be arbitrary, there should be a character comment about the ice conditions (e.g. this doesn't look safe), there should be a visual clue (damp patches on the snow from water forcing its way up and auditory clues (cracks in the ice). If you fall in you should have the chance to pull yourself back out (struggle animation) and try to get somewhere warm before you freeze to death. You'd need a new condition ("wet") that affects all of your clothes (including any in your pack) limiting their insulating potential and instantly drops your warmth to the 25% mark and prevents it from going higher. There should also be a new crafting item "ice picks" to help you get back out onto safe ice. While falling through would be terrible, this way would provide enough warning to know that you're risking a fall and, while very, very, bad, it is still survivable if you can get to shelter quickly to dry out and warm up.

The upside would be is if you can safely approach thin ice or open water (e.g. the open hole on the river behind my house for instance) you can have access to water without needing to melt it, it would likely be drinkable (bacteria can seldom survive in fast moving water especially in winter) and you'd be able to grab stones from the river (possible as sling shot ammo?).

Anyways, that's my idea for an acceptable additional risk.

Ice picks are an excellent idea, it'd be awesome if you could climb up things with them as well! Like frozen iceflows, etc, like the beginning of modern warfare 2! 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Docterrok said:

Ice picks are an excellent idea, it'd be awesome if you could climb up things with them as well! Like frozen iceflows, etc, like the beginning of modern warfare 2! 

*mentions CoD, instant credibility loss 200%* 8)

• 6 months later...
On 3/24/2016 at 7:58 PM, cekivi said:

Yeah but the problem with cougars is they're either going to have the same mechanics (as you described above) as wolves (in which case why add them?) or they're going to be unstoppable killing machines that pounce from nowhere. If you can see cougars and track cougars and scare away cougars... then they're just wolves in brown coats.

You don't crouch near a cougar; this will trigger an attack. OTOH crouching near a bear indicates you are not a threat. Currently in the game we can hide from wolves by the simple expedient of crouching. This is after it has already noticed you. Animal behaviours are rich ground for game improvement. I'm very happy to see some of  the behaviour enhancements in the latest updates.

On 5/5/2016 at 7:05 AM, Aelaera said:

I also have been a long time advocate of thin ice being a bigger danger.

On 6/24/2016 at 5:33 PM, CarolinaSantAngelo said:

Weak Ice in some places: We have it on the edge of a map because of design, but it would be cool if some areas like in the waterfalls or fast waters/rivers would have it. We shouldn't get the "weak ice" notice, we should hear the ice and it should probably have a characteristic look. 

You got your wish on Forlorn Muskeg! Lots of thin ice. Environmental risks were great enhancements in the latest updates. Frost bite is one! Wet clothing and freezing are other examples. I love how Hinterland integrates our ideas or at least it seems that way!

Malnutrition, widow-makers and avalanches.... I guess we may have to wait longer for this. Next season maybe? Story mode coming soon!!! Yay!

Archived