What type of weapons do you own, and what do you hunt ??

Heh, cant even cut down a tree without going through a byrocracy of having it confirmed around here. Its sad... I find myself wondering more and more every day whether it wouldnt be just better to save up a decent size of money, and follow the example of Dick Proenneke, build myself a cabin somewhere in Alaska, out of the reach of civilization and live a quite, content life homesteading. Not that anyone would let me since I am not a US citizen. :/

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, cekivi said:

There's always vacations ;) 

Yea, not yet. As a student, I am happy to be able to pay my things now (even though I work full-time, well, "worked" - got fired 5 days ago, currently on a job hunt), once I am satisfied with studies and am only working and make sufficient money, I will be happy to do some traveling.

I do have a plan, something for next summer. Still in planning stages, but it looks realizable. 

Me and boyfriend of my best friend have came to agree on a 7 day experiment in survival. He is from Germany which is even worse then CZ in terms of regulations and over-population... so he wanted a partner to go out with him on a 7 day long trip to some unchanged wilderness, with very limited equipment (basically just things that can be stripped to a belt, so a knife, maybe a water canteen, but not much else.) He wants to do it because he believes it will help him reflect on his life a bit, and tell him what he wants to do in the future. I feel the same way.

So that will be my next vacation, maybe a bit hardcore one, but I really want to do it. Will probably also bring a special "backpack" of camera gear to document this little trip of ours... one which we will agree not to use for anything else then camera storage, and emergency rations like beacon etc.

Now its just a matter of figuring out where to go - I think our best bet is bulgarian Karpats - that is the last true european wilderness as far as I know.

Maybe this will illuminate me whether or not to actually just give up on civilized life altogether, and move somewhere far away into the sweet solitude of nature, Dick Proenneke style. Build myself a cabin, and live day to day, worry-free of the civilization and its horrible sicknesses of gluttony, jelousy, depression and hatred.

Now, for the reason I came here...

I may or may not have "obtained" piece of log which I tommorow plan to transform into a primitive bow. I have made plenty survival bows in my time, always using saplings... but this time, I will be making an actual bow out of a log, by carving and filing it down to the perfection, having it cured and by the end, hopefully done properly enough so it doesnt snap and fires accuratedly. Since this will by my first time, I am not putting up much hope...

But if it goes on properly, I will have a ranged weapon of my own. Always prefered bowhunting in TLD to guns anyways... might as well get better at archery in real life, too :D

(also found some quartz-like stones too, will see if I can flake them and create flint arrowheads, probably not but will try)

• Upvote 1

Well, your vacation sounds really fun but there is one essential thing you two must do first: practice. Whatever you plan to bring practice with it first. You should have a fun time then without any unexpected surprises :) 

The downside with limited equipment is that you a) really need to know what you're doing and b) have a much smaller margin of error. For instance, I probably have the skills to go with limited equipment but I never have because I like having lots of options. For instance, at least three ways to light a fire that I'm comfortable using. Multiple light sources. Cooking equipment that can be used on both an open fire and stove. Etc. etc. What this means is that I always pack way too much on my excursions but I also have redundancies. Most importantly, I can use, field service, and am experienced with everything I bring. Not to dissuade you but if you are planning to go based on just what you can fit on a belt I would highly recommend taking survival courses so you know how to start a fire without matches. Also, bring a hatchet (an axe and saw are way better) to make your lives easier, leave detailed plans with friends/relatives in case you get lost, know how to navigate in the wild, and bring an orange garbage bag. Those things are great! Waterproof for shelters, you can wear them as a poncho, and highly visible for attracting attention :) 

Edited by cekivi

Yea, I know. Dont have enough experience to be comfortable with but have plenty of knowledge, and some experience as well. I know I complain a lot about not having the chance to hone my survival skills, but I am not completedly without experience for sure. For example, I did make fire through friction before. I have even made flint tools, which I believe is a thing many people never even tried.

I dont neccesary want to go so stripped of all the things, that is my friends idea. I am actually trying to dissuade his outlook on things, because I realize how crazy that general idea is. I think he doesnt really realize the survival that much as he is romantized by the shows and youtube vids he saw on internet. I am fairly confident I would handle it, but I am more concerned about him. He even refuses to take a water canteen with him, claiming he can hollow out a piece of log and fill it with water, and boil the water by putting stones into it... me, on the other hand, have a bit of actual experience, I know how bad it is without a metal container. I have been holding "somewhat amateur survival courses" since I was 13 years old, starting on my highschool and going from there :D

I would definitely want to bring more things. If anything, I would like to bring those items, have them as an option, and then chose not to use them. He even wants to refuse to take things like beacons, which I stand firmly behind - I am not going anywhere without having some sort of emergency line for a potentional disaster. Not leaving without having a well equipped first aid kit as well, or things like bear sprays.

What I think we will eventually agree upon is that we will come by an equipped car, have access to those things if we need them, but instead choosing not to use them unless we have to. 

And I am definitely dragging his ass through a one or two day training where we test out if we are really ready to do it. And get used to each other and cooperation, doing some tasks we will be doing during the actual holiday.

Also going to study local fauna and flora beforehand.

Edited by Mroz4k

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎24 at 2:05 PM, Mroz4k said:

What I think we will eventually agree upon is that we will come by an equipped car, have access to those things if we need them, but instead choosing not to use them unless we have to. 

Now that is a recipe for success ;) 

27 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Now that is a recipe for success ;) 

Yea, part of the reason why I have never found myself in a particularly horrible situation on a hike (and also partly why I seem to be doing pretty well in TLD) is because I plan ahead for the worst case scenarios. Before mobiles were a thing, my classmates would make fun of me for bringing flashlight to the cave with me on an elementary school trip, nothing could go wrong, guess who was laughing last and suddenly had lots of friends when the lights went out... :D

Planning is such an underrated thing in survival, yet it ultimatedly is one of the most important aspects of the preparation. TLD becomes relatively easy game to deal with if one learns to plan ahead for multiple scenarios and prep for them in advance.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2014 at 9:04 PM, ernestww said:

....a Lee Enfield 303 #5 (Jungle Carbine) vintage 1945, kicks like a mule :), the game depicts a #4 SMLE -- a much more commonly issued Lee Enfield.

The 303 is good cartridge for most anything we have in BC, not too much gun to spoil the meat. As an interesting aside, it is very appropriate that such a rifle be found in TLD world (northern Canada somewhere), many thousands made their way from military issue into civilian use as hunting rifles after WWII, although they are fading from use now.

I suggested to Hinterland that the trapper cabin should spawn the #5, although it is less common, it had a rep as a good scout rifle, shorter and a kilo lighter than the #4. The British made it for the Burma conflict in WWII I believe, where a light, shorter infantry rifle was considered desirable, hence the moniker 'Jungle Carbine' . Features that would make it a natural choice for a trapper :)...

The old .303 was successful again this last week putting venison in the freezer. 

image of dressed out deer in cold room:

59eb6c9d42949_100organicmeat.thumb.jpg.172045c010fe67c105baad766ea39477.jpg [spoiler/]

I get razzed a lot from my hunting buddies about my antique military rifle, this last trip being no exception.   I couldn't help but notice though, who had a deer in the bag! LOL.  I also noticed, as we checked our sights for accuracy, who had a nice tight grouping at 100 yards, three rounds within an 2 inches at 100 yards. This was relaxed shooting in a snow storm I might add.  I then  had a Bud while they blasted away trying to get on paper with their premium priced hardware, feeling slightly smug.

Edited by ernestww
added spoiler tag to pic
  • Upvote 1

You can't fault the classics @ernestww ;)

My dad's been hunting with a .30-06 for over thirty years now. That rifle has put more than a few animals in the freezer. 

Just a future note though: you should hide your deer carcass picture behind a spoiler tag. That way if someone is reading the forums they'll only see it if they click on it. 

• 2 months later...

For the time being I only hunt paper targets. :P For a long time now I have been meaning to get certifed and begin the road to become a hunter. Everyday life has a tendency to get in the way. (I say this, but in reality I am a bit of a lazy sod.)

Privately I own a 9mm handgun made by the good people at Heckler & Koch. P30 L. V1. (LEM trigger system.) I bought this while attending school to became a law enforcment officer to improve my marksmanship. Now I mostly use it for target practice while not on the job and for IPSC shooting. 

I wouldn't stretch the truth and even claim that I am a skilled marksman, but I am familiar with both rifles and handguns. Due to my occupation and a stint served in the armed forces.

Here in Norway, same as the rest of Europe, gun control is pretty strict. But due to traditions and a culture of hunting and trapping there are abundance of legally owned weapons around. Judging by the other replies in this thread there seems to be quite a variation from each reply. Could someone educate me on the gun laws in your respective home countries? 

Edited by Alyosha

In Canada possession of everything except military rifles (fully automatic) is legal provided you have the right licenses and permits. Handguns require extra red tape but it is fairly easy to get licensed for hunting rifles and shot guns. They are also fairly common in rural Canada due to a long tradition of hunting and trapping. 

• Upvote 1

My family hunts geese in the spring, We use shotguns, they can go from the weak child of the .410 single shot to the complete shoulder dislocator 9000 of the 16 gauge single shot. I use a 20 gauge shotgun. We also bring out 22. rifles for target practice, hunting and just for partridge hunting. 

• 4 months later...

Yugoslavian M24/47 Mauser rifle.  I don't shoot it as much, since ammo can get pricey.  I really need to get into reloading my own ammo.

Chinese SKS rifle.  My go-to boomstick for hunting those sedentary sheets of paper with rings on their faces.  I hope to one day get the CBRPS bullpup kit for it.

Marlin 989M2 rifle.  My little .22 plinker.

Radom P64 pistol.  Sure, it has a heavy Double-action trigger pull, but I've gotten used to it.  I'm slowly working on making some walnut grips for it.

Pietta .44 Colt Navy Revolver.  Black powder.  Slow to load, but still fun to shoot.

• Like 1

Yeah Privi Partisan is my go-to commercially made round for that rifle.  As I recall, they're in Serbia ( Formerly Yugoslavia), so they're probably the best tooled for the 8mm round right now, and particularly for the M24/47.

I refinished it a few years ago.  The worst was getting the cosmoline out of the wood.  I also had to stain the upper handguard to match the walnut stock.  After that, smoothed and polished it with some really fine grade sandpaper, and finished it with Lin-Speed.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I mostly like hunting whit my self-forged and self-build crossbow. Also I have some experience whit the sling. I mostly hunt small birds or deer, but it is a real struggle hunting deers whit a crossbow because you have to get really close to take a good shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont hunt, but i like target shooting so i own bolt action .308 for long range target shooting, but i shoot more with Glock cuz i am too lazy to travel to rifle shooting range. But i would like to get some pistol calibre carbine for pistol shooting range. 

My friend owns MP5* and vz61* Skorpion and both are extremely fun guns to shoot. I would preffer MP5 due to cost of ammo, cuz 7.65 mm for Skorpion is more expensive than 9 mm for MP5.

Both semiautomatic, cuz Europe Union gun laws.

Edited by Moll

Guest kristaok

In real life I don't hunt, I run a mini farm and I won't even kill anything I raise here lol... but I do like to shoot at cans with my bb gun if that counts hahaha.

On 21. 9. 2017 at 12:44 PM, Mroz4k said:

Dont have no firearms - european laws on guns are very strict and are getting much worse due to all the terrorist attacks in the past two years.
I would like to obtain a handgun licence (cant do much more than that here) and get myself a glock 17 for personal protection, but both the licence and handgun are pretty expensive, I have very little in a way of income and a ton of other things I need to buy first before even thinking about this. Czech Republic law separates guns into 4 cathegories, going from automatic weapons in a cathegory A which are strictly banned all the way to D class which is dedicated for airsoft guns and air guns (and only of rather weak FPS), which can be purchased for 18+ without a licence. Handguns are cathegory B and can be purchased after obtaining licence. Shotguns, rifles and several other guns are class C and can only be purchased by professional hunter (which is not a hobby, but a profession, hunter club here means you are a forest custodian for your profession, and hunting is only allowed during organized events. Hobby hunting is strictly prohibited.)

A lot more people are recently interested in obtaining guns in here because people are afraid of the immigration and the fact that a lot of radicals come by with the immigrants. But the increased gun laws make it more difficult - which is a joke, since all the guns used in terrorist attacks were obtained illegally.

When I was in a States, I wanted to buy and  bring a cool air gun home with me for target shooting - but couldnt. No rifles I was interested in had an FPS low enough to pass through a Czech airport control. So I just got myself a nice bowie knife. Its funny how a thing considered a "toy" in the US is considered a "firearm" in the Czech Republic.

I suppose the only "firearms" (according to my country´s riddiculous laws) I own would be a cheap and weak SVD Dragunov airsoft rifle without a scope, unpainted, and an old air gun I inherited from my grandfather - sadly that one is damaged and bent for it so it is not exactly a precise gun to use. Its a damn shame because that air gun is vintage by now.

Gun ranges in here dont have automatic weapons to shoot out of here, either. At least not to my knowledge. The only way to get a chance here to fire an automatic weapon is to join a czech SWAT team in police forces, or the army.

Sorry, you wrong. Weapons (means guns) falls into 4 categories, but:

Category A (prohibited weapons) are available with narrow exception from Police of Czech republic, mostly for collecting and reenacment reasons. That includes fully automatic weapons and weapons not permitted for civilian use (every firearm without civilian proofmark).

Category B (special authorisation)  handguns, majority of semiautomatic rifles and short barrelled shotguns, require reason to own (like sport shooting, collecting) to get buy authorisation.

Category C (registered only) Repeating rifles in general, long shotguns, certain semiautomatic weapon with limited capacity and some muzzle loaded firearms. You dont need to reason to own one, you need just any gun licence to a buy one.

Category D (free to sell)  BB guns, airsoft, singleshot muzzle loaders etc... Age over 18 years and you need to be sane person. 

So statement that long guns are restricted for hunters only is wrong. Many hobby shooters own boltaction rifles for sport shooting and they are not hunters nor members of gun clubs. Gun club membership is not required for ANY category. Special authorisation for category B is shall issue in CZ, you there is no problem to get handgun or AR-15, and if you want bolt action hunting rifle its even easier. Sure, you have to get a gun licence, thats not a easy thing, but certainly not super difficult, if you are really interested in fireamrs.

Category C in general is relativelly easy to get in whole EU, except UK, where shall issue is valid only for certain shotguns (rifles are may isse under gun club membership and semi automatic center fire rifles and handguns are banned or restricted under section 5) and Cyprus where are shotguns allowed only.

So as Czech citizen you can anything you want, you just need to get a gun licence, money for a gun and some paperwork with police.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I have several firearms, but my go-to for hunting is my Ruger American.  6.5 Creedmoor, Nikon glass, Precision Armament muzzle break, and a simple Kryptek camo wrap until I can get my hands on a dip kit.  I've also used smaller calibers like 220 Swift or my 5.56 NATO (not recommended unless you are confident you can put metal in the gearbox), and even a 12 gauge slug or buckshot, but my bolt action is my preference.  Not a fan of hunting with bows unless I have to, simply because I'm not as confident with them yet, and I hate tracking a hit deer.  I like the quick clean work that comes with rifles.  That said, I can respect the skill that goes into bow hunting, and the fact that they're excellent survival tools.

IMG_3051.JPG