Whetstone degradation

RaZ0R

4 hours ago, ElvisHunter said:

I'm not sure I'm clear on your use of the word logical. Do you mean realistic? Like closer to real life values? Or do you mean logical as "with sound reason"? The way the mechanic works now seems to encourage exploration and investigation - which are all fun aspects of this game. A whetstone that lasted a lifetime would discourage further exploration which doesn't seem to fit the spirit (as I perceive it) of this game and thus would be an illogical choice. 

yes more realistic. Hunting for whetstones because they only last a few days of use is kind of dumb. If you want to encourage exploration there are other ways to do it.  

2 hours ago, dbldrew said:

yes more realistic. Hunting for whetstones because they only last a few days of use is kind of dumb. If you want to encourage exploration there are other ways to do it.  

I agree more mechanics should be included to encourage exploration. I don't feel like the game needs to be hyper realistic as loss of gameplay though. Changing the stones to degrade at a realistic rate would indeed discourage exploration - and i feel like discouraging "camping" or "hibernating" should be paramount to realism. 

4 hours ago, ElvisHunter said:

I agree more mechanics should be included to encourage exploration. I don't feel like the game needs to be hyper realistic as loss of gameplay though. Changing the stones to degrade at a realistic rate would indeed discourage exploration - and i feel like discouraging "camping" or "hibernating" should be paramount to realism. 

No it doesnt need to be hyper realistic but somewhat realistic in a good thing. And there is more then 1 way to play. No reason why players that want to play around a “homestead” style should be forced to play like a nomad.

3 hours ago, dbldrew said:

No it doesnt need to be hyper realistic but somewhat realistic in a good thing. And there is more then 1 way to play. No reason why players that want to play around a “homestead” style should be forced to play like a nomad.

And vice versa of course. Fewer tools with longer lasting whetstones or a more in depth condition system for tools (I think @Dirmagnos started a thread on sharpness ages ago) would both also alleviate this problem.

back to original post do you think the whetstone lasts longer enough? hah

Maybe spawn less of them 1 per map but make them degrade a lot less when used?

also if the above was the case I expect to find it in a place that is fairly easy to find.

just an idea

11 hours ago, cekivi said:

And vice versa of course. Fewer tools with longer lasting whetstones or a more in depth condition system for tools (I think @Dirmagnos started a thread on sharpness ages ago) would both also alleviate this problem.

this is why interloper should never of been made and a custom difficulty was made in its place. Want to search around for glass tools? just change the slider on tool durability all the way down..  want your tools to be more realistic? move the slider the other way.. everyone wins 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 9:05 AM, nicko said:

back to original post do you think the whetstone lasts longer enough? hah

Maybe spawn less of them 1 per map but make them degrade a lot less when used?

also if the above was the case I expect to find it in a place that is fairly easy to find.

just an idea

Really well said. It would be much better. There's already too much loot items.

I know I will likely get the, "eye-roll of shame" for saying this, but another potential way to alleviate this issue would be to include a mechanic to allow for the crafting of replacement whetstone from materials found near water sources (smooth flat stone worn down by water flow etc.).

Personally, I think the mines, caves, and water source areas are an under utilized areas of the game.  If there were the addition of items like:

1) Water Sources = smooth stones for whetstone replacements or club heads

2) Mines = flint for fire starting, crude blades, crude arrowheads, and spear heads

3) Caves = bone for crude knife handles (based on the existing bear cave bone piles for example)

Another potential resource, deer antler...many possibilities.

Granted, all of the above are best utilized if one is playing the game with a mindset of survival being the #1 motivation.  To me, I'm more inclined to do more exploration if I have an adequate base of operations that provides me with a 'fallback' location if things go wrong.

Just my 2¢

Archived