dead animals disappearing

Jolan

How long are dead animals currently supposed to last?  As an example, a wolf took down a deer near the fishing hut I'm at.  I have too much meat so I just fished an hour to let the wolf clear out.  When I looked it was walking away and the deer was still there.  I grabbed some wood out of a cupboard and left the hut... no deer. The two wolves were still there though :)

Was this on Crystal Lake? I also had a deer carcass disappear very quickly just off the lake. They do decay quickly though but I do not know the exact rate post-update. I remember before the latest update that you usually had a few hours.

10 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

Did you harvest all the meat. hide and gut from the carcass? 

I've stripped a few carcasses of everything but the odd bit of meat (keeping my meat kg's even) and they hang around a long time. Three days in fact for a rabbit. This is with the current v. 338 update.

I didn't touch it.  Basically it disappeared in the time it took for the cut scene to open a drawer.

13 hours ago, cekivi said:

Was this on Crystal Lake? I also had a deer carcass disappear very quickly just off the lake. They do decay quickly though but I do not know the exact rate post-update. I remember before the latest update that you usually had a few hours.

It was on the ice on coastal highway.  I've gotten used to the fact that once I strip a carcass if I go into a building and come out it disapears, but this seemed awfully fast for something that I didn't touch.  

3 hours ago, Zambudjo said:

Yeah same happened to me. I shot a deer, slept an hour to let him bleed out and it was gone.

I know it because the arrow which was stuck in its but was standing in the middle of nowhere

:) I've had that happen too, I was just glad to get the arrow back

arrow.png

3 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

If you waited for the wolf to clear out (without chasing it away) he probably ate it skin and all.

That's the thing. Usually there's a hide and 1-2 kg of meat left even after a wolf ravages the carcass. However, that was before the new, faster decay times were implemented with the latest update.

I'm finding these carcasses with between 1-3 kg of meat (deer) and less than 1 kg (rabbit) after the wolf has finished. They usually hang around a bit as long as there is meat left on the bones. I'm leaving the <1kg bits on the carcasses just to see how long they last, and they are holding up in the world for three days already. I will have to start monitoring them and tracking how long they take to disappear.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

That's the thing. Usually there's a hide and 1-2 kg of meat left even after a wolf ravages the carcass. However, that was before the new, faster decay times were implemented with the latest update.

41 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

I'm finding these carcasses with between 1-3 kg of meat (deer) and less than 1 kg (rabbit) after the wolf has finished. 

So odd.  The wolf never leaves me anything if I let him eat his fill.   The carcass is there for a bit but says something like "nothing to harvest" if I try to open it.  

6 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

If you waited for the wolf to clear out (without chasing it away) he probably ate it skin and all.

It used to be the deer would still be there for a few days, not disapear in the space of a few minutes

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

I just didn't think it would be this fast - before, you'd find a deer with nothing to be salvaged on it, but it would still be there a couple of days.  Even if I hadn't opened a drawer, I'm not certain I would have been able to walk over there in the time it took for it to disapear.  Unless load screens for drawers work like load screens for different spaces?  Hm... now I'm going to have to sneak up on wolves and see if I can duplicate this else where

29 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

So odd.  The wolf never leaves me anything if I let him eat his fill.   The carcass is there for a bit but says something like "nothing to harvest" if I try to open it.  

previously I've gotten that message too, and sometimes a few lbs of meat and the hide, which is what I really wanted.  I supposed I could have driven off the two wolves and started a fire, maybe next time. :)

5 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I can confirm this, wolves never leave me anything, either... not even hide or guts. Rabbit and deer carcasses usually keep lying around until the end of the day, but I can't interact with them (and only get the "nothing to harvest" message if I click on them).

Maybe it's depending on the difficulty mode one plays?  o.O

Archived