Fishing. More lucrative at night?

SurvivorMan

It seems to me that fishing through the night gives me a much higher yield than fishing in the day. I seem to catch the most between 3am to sunrise. Has any body else noticed this or know if it is true? I am trying to get the fishing achievement. Has anybody got this one? Catch a 5kg fish.

That's quite interesting, I'm going to try it out as soon as I get to the game to test your theory! :)

On the fishing achievement, I got it after many many tries on the CH fishing huts (but RNG Gods usually hate me so it could be easier).

19 minutes ago, Ohbal said:

That's quite interesting, I'm going to try it out as soon as I get to the game to test your theory! :)

On the fishing achievement, I got it after many many tries on the CH fishing huts (but RNG Gods usually hate me so it could be easier).

I was naturally drawn to doing it as I am a fisherman my self but this could also lead me to just have the feeling I catch more at night. With the achievement I will keep trying at mystery lake for now and then move on to bigger waters in CH if I have no luck.

27 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Unless the Devs have changed the mechanics (without mentioning anything in the patchnotes) during the last months, I'm pretty sure it's plain luck whether you catch more during the day or the night.:winky:

Thank you that is a good post. :) 

I've been discouraged from fishing as of late even though I really like to do it. I'm still having problems with my fishing lines breaking all the time. I thought that this was tweaked so that it occurred less in a recent update but for me it seems to be happening more. I recently tried a brand new line that I crafted, it snapped in the first hour about a quarter of the way, in no fish. Immediately before that I had another line snap after only 1 hour use and catching 1 fish and before that the same thing. When I first started playing the game before the new roadmap and updates, I could catch several fish over several hours before having a line break. Now it happens so much it's a real nusiance and makes fishing more trouble than it is worth for me. I get better returns on hunting deer with my arrows. 

Is it bad luck or has anybody else had this problem?

49 minutes ago, Pasquinel said:

I've been discouraged from fishing as of late even though I really like to do it. I'm still having problems with my fishing lines breaking all the time. I thought that this was tweaked so that it occurred less in a recent update but for me it seems to be happening more. I recently tried a brand new line that I crafted, it snapped in the first hour about a quarter of the way, in no fish. Immediately before that I had another line snap after only 1 hour use and catching 1 fish and before that the same thing. When I first started playing the game before the new roadmap and updates, I could catch several fish over several hours before having a line break. Now it happens so much it's a real nusiance and makes fishing more trouble than it is worth for me. I get better returns on hunting deer with my arrows. 

I didn't fish much in the past because of the line snapping but, since the change, I've been fishing a few hours a day for a week with the same line.  (This is on a playthrough I started after the change.)

Very odd.  Are you sure your game is up to date?  Does it happen on all of your sandboxes?

1 hour ago, Pasquinel said:

Before the change I was having real trouble. I would take maybe 8 sets of tackle and lose every one. Now after the change I still take 8 with me but only ever really lose 1 maybe 2 lines and I am fishing for maybe two days in a row sleeping in the hut. I always fish for 2 hour periods. Dare I say it, I'm getting so many fish it seems a little too easy :) 

5 hours ago, Pasquinel said:

Either you're rolling really bad on the RNG or this is a bug... If it's the same in all your saves you should probably log it as one.

23 hours ago, SurvivorMan said:

With the achievement I will keep trying at mystery lake for now and then move on to bigger waters in CH if I have no luck.

I don't think you can catch 5+kg fish in ML or PV. You have to go to CH, and preferably the cabins deeper/farther into the ice. Unless it's been changed. I used to fish a lot in PV, the max i caught was ironically 4.99kg lol. I got achievement in CH, can't recall how long it took, but i do recall that when i caught my achievement fish, the second one was also 5kg+... so two fish in a row of 5+kg :)

Whether luck or good fortunate or game mechanics, I think that it would be a good idea to incorporate at some point in the development - fishing at certain times known to be better times to catch fish would improve your chances - evenings, mornings, raining, or whatever (raining would apply, obviously, when full seasons are included in the game).

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2016 at 8:05 AM, Pasquinel said:

In my experience, the lines break much more often when I am tired, especially below 50%. I would rest up before attempting to fish and see if it helps.

On 6/9/2016 at 3:16 PM, SurvivorMan said:

I was naturally drawn to doing it as I am a fisherman my self but this could also lead me to just have the feeling I catch more at night. With the achievement I will keep trying at mystery lake for now and then move on to bigger waters in CH if I have no luck.

You can get a big bass in Mystery Lake.  I had my best luck at the hut close to the bear cave.  However, the Salmon on CH are more frequest and tend to be big too.

On 6/10/2016 at 2:37 PM, thinair said:

I don't think you can catch 5+kg fish in ML or PV. You have to go to CH, and preferably the cabins deeper/farther into the ice. Unless it's been changed. I used to fish a lot in PV, the max i caught was ironically 4.99kg lol. I got achievement in CH, can't recall how long it took, but i do recall that when i caught my achievement fish, the second one was also 5kg+... so two fish in a row of 5+kg :)

You can get on in Mystery Lake, that's where I got mine, but they seem to be very very rare.  CH is more reliable.

I don't think there's any rhyme or reason to fishing lines breaking. I've fished on one line for days and days, then for no reason, I'll break 3 or 4 within a few hours.

Most games have some form of "random event calculator" embedded in the game programming so that anytime you start fishing, or try starting a fire, or walk on the side slope of a hill, the "calculator kicks in" like "rolling a pair of dice". If the "trigger" number comes up, you break your line, or your fire doesn't start, or you get an ankle sprain. If the "trigger" number doesn't come up.... nothing happens! Something along those lines!

• 4 months later...

I'm in the midst of a personal challenge to get level 5 fishing and 5 cooking.

I brought a bed roll to the hut near the fishing cabins on coastal highway. spent a couple days chopping wood and gathering sticks. loaded up the hut with wood. have a crowbar to break ice, 6 hooks and lines....spent nearly a week in game and am level 3 in each lol  takes a long time I guess but I have a ton of fish stored. I light a fire (with the help of lamp oil from fish) when it gets too cold and I fry some up to eat and generate more oil. I have every achievement but the 200 day so I would have gotten them again for big fish and starry night.

anyhow, tis a bit boring but I am trying to test out what happens when I get that far along. few, if any wolves come there and the bear near there...well he won't respawn for a long time....he went nighty night....

I can't post my screen cap of the pile of fish because it is in the test branch but it has been a challenge... newer players can try that to get some achievements. with all the oil you get, you can pretty much always make fire so you do not need to keep it going over and over. light new ones so you can gain experience with that too.

On 9-6-2016 at 9:42 PM, Scyzara said:

Unless the Devs have changed the mechanics (without mentioning anything in the patchnotes) during the last months, I'm pretty sure it's plain luck whether you catch more during the day or the night.:winky:

I'm almost certain that there was an update in the last 6 months or so where fishing was changed so you catch more around dawn and dusk. But I can't find anything in the update changelogs so I'm probably mistaken.

having just gotten to level 5 in a game, I cannot say if it worked any different day/night wind/blizzard, fire, no fire. however there were times around dawn/dusk that I recall getting 3/hour and many times during the day where an hour would yield nothing. I did one hour at a time....

Archived