It's all about....Fallout ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

I liked FO3 but I liked New Vegas more. I'm finished FO4 but currently replaying it, heavily modded, and spending way too much time settlement building than anything else :D

I tried giving fo4 a fair chance after Survival Mode released and a year's worth of mods were out but long story short, Fallout 4 is just a very disappointing, mediocre game. Running about 10 mods, all are for adding realism to it, but it still isn't enough to make it a really enjoyable game:/
FO4 is 'okay' for a shooter and it's decent for a base-building game, but when I play something from the Fallout series I'm expecting an open-world, first-person role-playing sandbox with interesting stories attached. FO3 did a decent job of that on its own, and mods gave it survival mode.

New Vegas was overall great for all the 'gameplay elements' it added: disguises, reputation, Hardcore Mode.
The atmosphere didn't appeal to me in most places (not a Vegas or desert fan) and I didn't really enjoy the storyline's main plot. That being said, FNV is far superior to FO4 and I liked the Honest Heart's DLC :)

11 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Running about 10 mods, all are for adding realism to it, but it still isn't enough to make it a really enjoyable game:/

Have you tried the 'Frost Survival Simulator mod? It's fairly tough.

For myself though, I'm not a FO purist. I haven't been playing video games long enough and haven't played FO since the beginning. What I can say is that there are not many games that can hold my attention for long. I can't say what it is or what it isn't that keeps me interested in some games. I'm late to the show.  I've tried to go back to play the older games that started all the new games that are out (not just FO) but they're too old now and are kind of clunky to try to play on PC. I have so many games that I can't finish. Eg. Everyone loves 'The Dark Descent' and the 'Bioshock's, but I can't finish them. I loved 'Soma' though. FO3, NV and 4 aren't in that category. I've had fun playing all three of those. For FO4 I did get some mods which made the game more realistic like 'true storms and darker nights, louder rain and footsteps, rain of brass, etc. But only after I finished the vanilla game first. I'm just having fun building stuff now. I really enjoy that too. So all I know is that, I liked the FO's that I've played, and I didn't chuck them to the wayside and I'm still playing FO4. That's not normal for me. In my vanilla play through, I had a gun that could take out a Deathclaw with one shot to the head. I mean, that's what I call fun! :)

PS. I've never played 'Honest Hearts'. Is it really good??

Honest Heart's has a nice story (background on Caesar's Legion) and a very nice wilderness setting. If I were to rank the four DLC's for Fallout: New Vegas I'd put it as tied for second. I preferred Old World Blues (big Sci-Fi fan) and Dead Money is also a very well contained story with neat characters and gameplay elements. 

Lonesome Road you can give a pass to. It didn't really add anything to the plot and the gameplay and locations were mediocre at best.

@SnowWalker I've seen Frost's nexuspage. I may try it out if I somehow get an itch for fo4.  Challenge is fine but I'm more hoping for adding realism to the few games I play these days.

Not many can hold my attention for long. Games like Battlefield & its ilk generally hold my attention for only an hour or so before I can't stand having it on my pc. That being said, according to Steam I've put 836 hours into The Long Dark so far, 954 into New Vegas, and 987 into Fallout 3, unmodded. Modded FO3 I've put literally thousands of hours into, as crazy as that may sound.

The Steam version of original Fallout runs fine on a modern PC and the story is good. Not clunky at all :)

Your one-shot deathclaw killer is probably a fully upgraded gauss rifle, right? I was using that to one shot Coursers in my last playthru. An modded rocket launcher will work just as well though ...most of the time;)

Like @cekivisaid, Honest Hearts has a nice setting. I personally didn't like any other of FNV's DLCs because imho Dead Money was akin to a Quake level that somehow got stuck in Fallout, and Old World Blues was way too over-the-top corny for a post-apocalyptic game so it is really out of place, the same way Mothership Zeta for FO3 is. But again, just my take on it. 

If I do ever play FO these days, it's 3 with the mod called Custom Begining (found at the No Mutants Allowed webpage) where you don't have to start the game as the "vault dweller." There are around 15 different beginning choices ranging from average wastelander to raider to Brotherhood Outcast to even beginning the game as a rogue Enclave agent. It makes the game play totally different, and maybe more interesting in some ways than the original.  Also using "more complex needs" and a slew of other reality-adding mods and .... my words just can't do it justice!:D

Well now...off topic but I've just discovered a mysterious climbing rope near a lone trailer high up on a mountain in Coastal Highway. 91% of the world explored so far so time for me to go climb it and see what is to be found ^_^

12 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Your one-shot deathclaw killer is probably a fully upgraded gauss rifle, right?

Yes, it is! I loved that gun, lol.

12 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Well now...off topic but I've just discovered a mysterious climbing rope near a lone trailer high up on a mountain in Coastal Highway. 91% of the world explored so far so time for me to go climb it and see what is to be found ^_^

I think I know which trailer you're talking about. I can't remember a rope there either. Maybe it's new with the update too....if I can say that here. I know there's one just past the lone trailer just above the town-site near the bear cave, to the right of the trailer. A lot of people don't know about that one either or they just don't like to take that way I guess. I always like to go up that way the first time I go to the abandoned lookout and take that rope with me afterward to use for the first climb-down at the lookout. I like going up and down at the lookout best. A quick jog when coming back from PV. I always keep home at CH.

Anyway, thanks for the info both you and cekivi. Something to look forward to too when I'm done with FO4 for good. I've got 830 hrs logged on it so far :D You should see my Outpost Zimonja, I've built way up into the sky, lol.

Hum... I know of a few ropes in the Coastal Highway. If it's the one I'm thinking of there should be some saplings at the top. It provides a "shortcut" when moving from the Quonset to Pleasant Valley by allowing you to bypass the bear cave that's on the most direct route between the two. 

Also, one of these days I have to play with mods to FO. I've only ever played vanilla and the Sawyer mod for New Vegas :) 

11 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

Yes, it is! I loved that gun, lol.

I think I know which trailer you're talking about. I can't remember a rope there either. Maybe it's new with the update too....if I can say that here. I know there's one just past the lone trailer just above the town-site near the bear cave, to the right of the trailer. A lot of people don't know about that one either or they just don't like to take that way I guess. I always like to go up that way the first time I go to the abandoned lookout and take that rope with me afterward to use for the first climb-down at the lookout. I like going up and down at the lookout best. A quick jog when coming back from PV. I always keep home at CH.

Anyway, thanks for the info both you and cekivi. Something to look forward to too when I'm done with FO4 for good. I've got 830 hrs logged on it so far :D You should see my Outpost Zimonja, I've built way up into the sky, lol.

Yea that's the one. I took it to the top and almost immediately saw a bunch of sticks I'd left on the snow six in-game months prior. What a disappointment :D
I've moved on to Mystery Lake and heading to Forlorn Muskeg soon :) 

BTW I'll list a few recommended mods at the end of the post that really make FO3 all it can be.

4 hours ago, cekivi said:

Hum... I know of a few ropes in the Coastal Highway. If it's the one I'm thinking of there should be some saplings at the top. It provides a "shortcut" when moving from the Quonset to Pleasant Valley by allowing you to bypass the bear cave that's on the most direct route between the two. 

Also, one of these days I have to play with mods to FO. I've only ever played vanilla and the Sawyer mod for New Vegas :) 

I saw that rock for fastening a rope near the Abandoned Lookout and just kind of slide/climbed down without a rope to a ledge with a bunch of saplings and then took the rope down to the road and went home (Rabbit Grove) instead of the Quonset Coastal Village.

BTW, for any who are interested in adding some realism and really great role-playing game-play to their Fallout 3, the following mods are listed (from my load order but with all graphics enhancing stuff removed--mods lower in the order have higher priority):

Impervious Power Armour.esm
IMCN.esm (Imp's More Complex Needs)
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
StreetLights.esm
MinuteMinder.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Master Menu Module.esp
Retarded Leveling 20x Slower.esp
fessentialdeathtime900.esp
Explosive Entry.esp
Gunfire Sound Range Increased.esp
DelaySteel.esp
delaypl.esp
delayzeta.esp
AutoGates.esp
GNR Enhanced.esp
Less suspicious NPCs.esp
royphilipsevil.esp
UpgradedCaravanMerchants.esp
Rude Awakening.esp
Purposeful Walking.esp
DarkNight.esp
CustomBeginning.esp
CustomBeginningGOTY.esp
OasisSafeWater.esp
krzymar-MoonSize_040%.esp
Enclave Faction Overhaul.esp
FO3 Better Followers.esp
FO3 Better Followers - Ignore Traps.esp
FollowersHireContinued-KarmaCheck-NoCharismaCheck-NoCountCheck.esp
AmplifiedCrippledEffectsV1-3.esp
CleanerSettlements.esp
KarmaRevampExtreme1010.esp
yaDisguisesMod.esp
yaDisguisesMod-DLC-ThePitt.esp
yaDisguisesMod-DLC-Anchorage.esp
yaDisguisesMod-DLC-BrokenSteel.esp
Destructibles.esp
Imp's More Complex Needs.esp
Triage.esp
Rock It Launcher Extended Ammo.esp
midlifecrisis.esp

Midlife crisis? That sounds like an interesting story :D

Are there any essential mods to add? A lot look like AI fixes and like stuff that was in New Vegas by default. 

Fun fact: some of the "survival" elements in the new games were present all the way back in Fallout 1 and 2. You didn't need to eat but stimpacks weren't instant (action point system restricted number you could use so you could be left with the choice to either  heal or shoot... although there is an exploit around that) and dehydration was a random event when travelling :) 

@SnowWalker: I do recommend Fallout 1 and 2. The games are very simple compared to modern games but they are classics. You can usually get them very cheap too (I frequently see them for $5). My one caution is be very careful with Fallout 2. The game was not playable on launch due to a major bug they missed in testing. You need to run a patched or modded version or else the game hard crashes on the final mission! O.o

@cekivi  if I had to limit it to 10, it would be:

- custom beginning deluxe ( start the game as alternate people instead of just Vault Dweller, but vault dweller is one of the optional choices)

- Imps more complex needs which makes fo3 a  survival game

- amplified cripple effects  for realism/survival 

- triage for realism/survival 

- YetAnother Disguises mod (just amazing! Wearing raider garb makes the Raiders think you are one too, same goes for Talon Mercs, etc.  You may also need to make a charisma or luck check for it to work. Be careful because if you are wearing raider garb etc. some people who are normally friendly might take you for the wrong kind of person and be hostile! )

- Darknight ( realistically dark) 

- Karma revamp (better balanced karma) 

-  all the "delay DLC."  Delays the DLCs from  starting until you listen to its radio transmission or speak to associated NPCs

-midlifecrisis which makes your own character more believable ;)

- cleaner settlements which adds realism,  and not nearly as clean as you would think.

Many of the others are "quality of life improvements"  or in the case of marts mutant mod, adds a huge amount of variety to the "stock creatures" of the wasteland  such as different types of scorpions, bears, dogs, etc. 

Fo3 was pretty awesome on its own but in my personal opinion, this is the way it should've been released 

10 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Fo3 was pretty awesome on its own but in my personal opinion, this is the way it should've been released 

Here's my personal opinion on that. Bethesda does a lot of awesome work on the FO games, and Skyrim. The worlds are vast, beautiful and even breathtaking. The enemies are awesome too, and dangerous and fun. What I think is this.....they're busy enough as it is putting down a base game and they know that modders will come along and better the games even more. Modders are imho, free labor for them. Thank god for the modders though. They're fantastic in what they do.

That's my main beef with Bethesda. Your game should be a game on launch. It shouldn't need modders to fix or finish it. Mods should serve to expand the options and styles of play available. Mods should never be required to play a game! :S

On 6/11/2017 at 5:35 AM, SnowWalker said:

Off topic but I just bought Hitman Season one. It's supposed to be amazing. 10/10 across the board.

I never played any of the Hitman series though I've read pretty much every review for it. It normally gets high marks :)
I've been kinda feeling the modded Fallout 3 itch a bit lately. My Fallout 3 install been modded into a survival game and one of my favorite weapons is the duct-taped hunting rifle.
Funny thing...it kind of resembles the hunting rifle in The Long Dark ^_^

Archived