It's all about....Fallout ;)

It is good. I've been tempted to replay Fallout 1 for a while myself. Hopefully I'll have some time once I dig my way out from under my mountain of work... :frown:

Ever try the 15 min speed-run? 90's games: back before tech allowed you to restrict access to areas :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, cekivi said:

It is good. I've been tempted to replay Fallout 1 for a while myself. Hopefully I'll have some time once I dig my way out from under my mountain of work... :frown:

Ever try the 15 min speed-run? 90's games: back before tech allowed you to restrict access to areas :)

Ah, The speed run! No, but I have seen it on YouTube once or twice. 

I'm on lunch break now and I am torn whether to continue day 280 of my current sandbox or whether to quickly reinstall and start a Fallout 1 game:big_smile:@cekivi

man, yall are making me want to go back and play it! though, i sadly cant. only reason i never finished it was because i spilled water all over my laptop and never got a new one.

i didnt get too far. i got to the desert town, did a couple side quests, got the companion from there, bought the rope, went into the vault you get sent to retrieve the water purifier from and explored it, then JUST got into the main city. i wanted to finish that game SO bad. :(

maybe i should start saving up for a computer... :P

2 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

man, yall are making me want to go back and play it! though, i sadly cant. only reason i never finished it was because i spilled water all over my laptop and never got a new one.

i didnt get too far. i got to the desert town, did a couple side quests, got the companion from there, bought the rope, went into the vault you get sent to retrieve the water purifier from and explored it, then JUST got into the main city. i wanted to finish that game SO bad. :(

maybe i should start saving up for a computer... :P

If it was me, I'd definitely save up for one. Some reviews of good but cheap gaming systems:

http://heavy.com/games/2016/04/good-top-best-cheap-gaming-computers-under-500-desktops-pc/

If you like building, PC Gamer's website always has good guides on recent equipment with pricing as well.

Gaming is actually what got me into building systems, which eventually lead to me getting into the IT industry.

Well, time for some good ol' original Fallout! :)

On June 17, 2016 at 10:56 AM, cekivi said:

Well, if you've got at least 15 min left of your break and a fast install time you can do both :big_smile:

I did end up playing some. I forgot how much longer it takes to level up in the original!

i guess that's part of the reason they give you all those easy to kill rats at start^_^

As usual Science & Lockpick got tagged, supplemented by a weapon skill. 

I always went speech, small guns and science :)

Who needs to fight when you can talk your way into and then out of most problems! Remember when Fallout used to let you do that? :D

Disclaimer: this jibe at Fallout 4 is, again, based solely on the reviews I've read to date and some let's plays.

13 minutes ago, cekivi said:

I always went speech, small guns and science :)

Who needs to fight when you can talk your way into and then out of most problems! Remember when Fallout used to let you do that? :D

Disclaimer: this jibe at Fallout 4 is, again, based solely on the reviews I've read to date and some let's plays.

I *do* remember when you could do that! Even as recently as FO3/NV! 

Though I don't tag Speech, I always tend to pick the Good Natured trait which adds 15% to Speech ;) 

In FO4 even though there isn't any Speech skill, despite that I did build a high CHA character. I noticed that "speech" only comes in handy for negotiating a better reward (almost always just asking for more caps). Pretty useless because caps are easy to come by. 

In the 100+ hrs I played (doing my best to give it the 'benefit of the doubt') I really can't recall how having a high charisma helped me "talk my way out of a situation."  FO4 was actually pretty....boring. 

At least Fallout and modded FO3 are still great fun :)

On 15-6-2016 at 7:56 AM, Wasteland Watcher said:

@cekivismart move! I was a victim of the hype train. But I learned my lesson.

@Tbone555 though I'd really rather not discuss F4 because it tends to turn into a rant, here goes.

I'll start with the pros and then move on from there:

+graphics/ atmosphere /sound effects 

+ Power armor mechanics 

+  weather effects

- voiced player character 

- lack of/redundant dialogue choices 

- no weapon/armor degradation (only power armor degrades)

- removal of skills 

-few to none non-violent quest solutions; quests are weapon oriented (over 90% of quests have only a violent resolution which reinforces this being by design to make F4 "much more action oriented" as stated by T.Howard in interview)

-non lore abilities added to power armor

-non lore abilities added to ghouls

-dime a dozen "legendary" enemies which seem blatantly copied from Borderlands.

-randomized weapons, also copied from Borderlands.

-  action-game oriented, player controlled "critical hit" system (old crit system more RPG-esque and random)

I think that sums it up 

I agree on the following;
- Removal of skills or traits
- No degradation (this really bothers me)
- Legendary enemies (this turns me inside out)
- Random weapons and gear (after 33 days played (yeah im an addict) i finally found a sharp synth arm piece, then the game froze whilst saving and corrupted 5 saves, if i had a license to kill Todd Howard his head would be on a spike, because i already had lost 13 days because all my saves went corrupt at one time, didn't play for 2 months)
- Critical hit system, it's just -.-
Edit: - Minimal dialogue, probably one of their worst decision and guess what! Lots of developers are already copying it, i wonder if i should shoot myself or them!
Edit: - No karma system! Even though you didn't say it you must have forgot it? Or did it not bother you? :P

But still an awesome game for me, pretty much because of the added ability to build stuff yet without mods it really stinked, i only came to this conclusion after running Fallout 4 with 50 mods activated.
But still, an awesome game :D
Nothing will ever beat F3 though.

@Hatchetvery well put!  And yes, you're correct: I did forget to mention karma even though it is **very** important to me. how could I have forgotten to mention that?!:S

I still have 4 installed, with mods that remove the voice for player character, get rid of the legendary enemies, add full dialogue trees (still don't help much but better than the default minimalist text), darker nights, and the (unfinished) FO4 "RPG" mod.

Of course I play on survival mode difficulty. Still, with all that even, is still just isn't fun for me, sadly.  Perhaps you can mention some mods that are helpful? 

The weapon and armor modifying does not do a single thing for me. I find it is just a tedious mini-game (kind of like the settlement management). I wish that the Dev team had been directed to focus more on adding RPG elements than (my opinion) stupid mini-games. 

Actually, I had not played *any* Fallout since December when I started playing The Long Dark. 

But yesterday I played some of my Modded FO3 and it was spectacularly enjoyable :)  And all I was doing was looting the Vault-Tec building and carrying all the loot back to sell at Megaton.  Robots inside were not attacking since I started the game as the "Wasteland engineer" which makes robots friendly towards you like the Mechanist (via the Custom Beginnings Deluxe mod that has 15 different kinds of character starts) and avoiding combat with raiders by wearing their armor while passing through their territory ( thanks to the Yet Another Disguise mod). And since I took the Animal Friend perk obviously animals won't attack me and I don't attack them either so I can concentrate on completing quests instead of wasting time fighting everything. That being said, I do carry a dart gun with 40 darts and a fat man with five mini-nukes just in case for the things out in the wasteland that just want to kill, steal, and destroy regardless of your peaceful intentions  ;) 

Last night and this morning I spent some time in a new Fallout A Post Apocalyptic Role Playing Game playthru and (despite the graphics)  I'm having a blast.  

I wish they had the original Fallout on iPhone instead of that stupid Fallout Shelter game. :P I can't stand that game...

Well... Now it's time for me to stop writing and head over to The Glow!

On June 14, 2016 at 0:05 PM, Tbone555 said:

well aliens have always been a part of the fallout lore, since fallout 1 if i remember correctly. but the DLC was pretty lame, yeah.

my personal favorite DLC for fallout 3 (i never played the new vegas DLCs and i can't be bothered to waste money for Fallout 4's DLCs) was operation anchorage. it was SO cool.

my clumsy breaks-everything-he-touches big brother broke my Fallout 3 game of the year edition. fortunately, i got to play through all the DLCs before that happened, but i still miss it dearly. just itching to play anchorage again, i swear.

Found the aliens in the original Fallout :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

On June 21, 2016 at 11:36 PM, Hatchet said:

I would list them @Wasteland Watcher but i can't log in on my account on the site (for some reason -.-), i can only log in on my Xbox and if i do that i run the risk of corrupting my files, i really have to send it in for repairs soon but i keep postponing it. So no can do :(

~Hatchet

Wow it's too bad about your Xbox!  That's a real bummer, man. 

Instead of spending money on repairs, a better idea might be to just buy a medium spec gaming PC ;)

Been playing the first Fallout for a week now and man is it fun!  Just about done completely looting The Glow.  At level six it was a challenge:big_smile:

I figure after I get power armor it'll just be a matter of days before I complete the game and then head back to Timberwolf Mountain. ;)

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Ah, @Wasteland Watcher, you're really tempting me to reinstall Fallout now.

And isn't the Alien Blaster the best?!? I've only found it once but that was a very fun game. Lots of super mutants, ghouls, rad scorpions, everything really reduced to goo :big_smile:

I believe the Alien Blaster is the most powerful weapon in the game right after the rocket launcher :) And it only uses 4 action points!

I recommend you reinstall and give it a go!

Because....

War never changes :geek:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The rights holder probably doesn't think it will be popular enough. In a world where the two most popular games are Candy Crush (sigh) and Angry Birds I don't know if a turn based isometric RPG would find a wide audience. Although I would definitely buy a copy! ^_^

The other problem is probably technological. How much work would it take to completely design the menus and UI to be usable with only a touch screen? It can be done but that's a lot of extra work.

I agree with @cekivi. I play games on both iPad/iPhone and Mac. I prefer to play the longer-duration games such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Rainbow Six and (natch) TLD on the Mac. It's more comfortable long-term. I like the casual games for the iOS devices because those are easy to put down - play a couple of rounds while waiting for the doctor or killing time on a 15 minute break. While I don't have CC or AB, I have similar games that I do play a lot (Clockmaker and Two Dots are my current favs, though I like the Logic puzzles on my iPhone too). 

I think it boils down to RSD and fatigue - it comes on slower on the computer than it does on the iPad/iPhone. You're not slouched over a screen in your lap when you're playing on the Mac/PC (or even a console). So it makes sense that games that demand longer play times such as FPS's and RPG's are better on the big screen.

22 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

I agree with @cekivi. I play games on both iPad/iPhone and Mac. I prefer to play the longer-duration games such as Skyrim, Oblivion, Rainbow Six and (natch) TLD on the Mac. It's more comfortable long-term. I like the casual games for the iOS devices because those are easy to put down - play a couple of rounds while waiting for the doctor or killing time on a 15 minute break. While I don't have CC or AB, I have similar games that I do play a lot (Clockmaker and Two Dots are my current favs, though I like the Logic puzzles on my iPhone too). 

I think it boils down to RSD and fatigue - it comes on slower on the computer than it does on the iPad/iPhone. You're not slouched over a screen in your lap when you're playing on the Mac/PC (or even a console). So it makes sense that games that demand longer play times such as FPS's and RPG's are better on the big screen.

cant say i disagree with that. i'm much more inclined to play console and pc games, when i did have my ipod the only reason i played on there was because i was stuck at work with nothing to do most of the time :P
still. i think it'd be neat. i'd play it!

Well, this is annoying. I was browsing the web and stumbled across the Fallout 4 intro sequence. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't Ron Perlman! :crying:

Have him voice the trailer but not the game. Sigh. Another reason to put off buying Fallout 4...

33 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Well, this is annoying. I was browsing the web and stumbled across the Fallout 4 intro sequence. Imagine my surprise when it wasn't Ron Perlman! :crying:

Have him voice the trailer but not the game. Sigh. Another reason to put off buying Fallout 4...

want my advice?
just go buy Doom instead xD

On 7/4/2016 at 8:38 AM, cekivi said:

Sigh... "Fallout" 4 really did not feel like a Fallout game at all.
I haven't played since May when I was helping with the Survival Mode beta test. The survival mode is also half-baked. Yea... the only thing it really gets right are graphics and the power-armor system. 
But it just doesn't feel like Fallout. 

I'm still scratching my Fallout itch. As soon as I finished Fallout I reinstalled and have been playing Fallout 2. I'm enjoying it considerably too :)

Archived