Rabbit traps empty for several weeks while surrounded by rabbits

Eames

Rabbits can sometimes be seen running in a large area but the snares only work in a smaller zone. If you have 3 snares, I suggest spreading them out more widely and changing their position every 2-3 days until you find the right place.

Maybe someone can give you a hint where to put them - I recognize the location but never tried to catch rabbits there.

You need to spend some time standing back and watching the rabbits' pathing. If you don't place the snares right on their travel routes, then you'll never catch anything.

My personal preference is to find where they go near a tree or rock and stack two or three snares across right there, as it means their path is limited in deviation and you'll often be able to catch multiple rabbits.

I found a sweet spot on PV map near the main road of the house. Basically i just placed them where I seen the rabbits running prior.

Seems odd your not catching them if you placed them in spot where you seen them running around. also sometime you can see their foot prints so place over them? after placing them you best to leave them over night and check them first thing in the morning light. If nothing caught move them to another location.

I second the comments about observing them for a while to work out their regular paths. If you then check the snow in those spots, you'll see faint marks of rabbit tracks. Placing the snares directly over the tracks seems to work best for me.

Although I don't know the inner workings of the game with certainty, I suspect you are overthinking things a bit. Remember, this is a game and someone had to code it. Someone who didn't have the time to think about complex rules that would add little to the gameplay. It's probably simple.

The rabbits you see running around don't have much to do with those you catch with a snare - I've seen them get caught and they just pop out of nowhere. In other cases, a rabbit will run through a dense field of my snares without getting caught. On one occasion I tried to map a snaring area by placing dozens of snares at once for about 10 days in a row. There is an area - most likely rectangular in shape, defined by coordinates, where snares work. Outside of the area, the snares don't work. Rabbits run both inside and outside of the area, often quite far off. The trick is in finding the area and then putting your snares inside - it doesn't matter if they are over tracks, if they are placed tightly one over another, or if they are spread out.

Just take all snares you have, spread them out widely, change their positions frequently until one gets a rabbit. Then just keep putting snares around that place.

Archived