Shooting a bear safely

shan_b

Hello guys/gals

I want to shoot the bear that patrols the unnamed pond in mystery lake.

My question is - is it safe to do so from the blind? Or will the bear enter the blind and rip me to shreds?

I've also noticed that across the unnamed pond is a large fallen tree which you can get on top of and is high enough that deer run directly below you, is it maybe safe to shot Yogi from there?

Not sure if it makes a difference but I'm playing in pilgrim (yes I'm a pussy, and I find the idea that wolves are out to get you unrealistic)

Cheers, Shan

1 hour ago, shan_b said:

My question is - is it safe to do so from the blind? Or will the bear enter the blind and rip me to shreds?

Hi Shan, it's safe to shoot the bear from the blind, at least it definitely always was in previous versions and I doubt the Devs changed anything about it. :winky:

You might need to use a decoy to lure the bear next to the blind in the first place, though. Don't forget to crouch while the bear is approaching, otherwise it will likely run away in Pilgrim mode before it is in a proper shooting range. Crouching is especially important if you're using a bow. In order to try to hit the bear's head (for the shortest bleeding out times and the chance of an instant kill) you really want him to get pretty close to you before you shoot your bow.

I'm not sure about the fallen tree, for some reason I very much doubt the bear AI can climb it but I've never tried it so I can't guarantee anything. The only thing I know for sure about this tree is that one of the splinted stem fragments lacks collision atm, so be careful not to fall through the tree like silly me did a while ago. I've marked the immaterial part of the tree in red, the rest is safe for climbing.

Good luck with your bear hunt! :normal:

57338ab60679e_screen_(20823750)_bc4020b1

I can confirm that the bear hunt from the fallen trees does work like a charm. I haven't tested them all, of course, but the one in the TWM lake, and the one in the unnamed pond, I can confirm the bear cannot reach you. I've also used the top of the bear cave in Coastal Highway. When the bear approaches, you'll have a clear shot. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys.

Went down to the lake, from a reasonable distance but a round in him, then ran like hell to the blind.

Once I got there he still took 2 more, 1 is swear was in the back of the head as he was walking around the blind. Then he stood up on his rear legs and got another right between the eyes. Dropped on the spot!

I was a little disapointed to find out that I need to kill another one to make the bedroll.

6 hours ago, shan_b said:

Thanks for the help guys.

Went down to the lake, from a reasonable distance but a round in him, then ran like hell to the blind.

Once I got there he still took 2 more, 1 is swear was in the back of the head as he was walking around the blind. Then he stood up on his rear legs and got another right between the eyes. Dropped on the spot!

I was a little disapointed to find out that I need to kill another one to make the bedroll.

Shan, it only takes one hit to kill a bear (or wolf or deer) -- bullet or arrow.  He'll bleed out eventually, guaranteed.  The closer you hit to the head or chest, the faster he'll die  Something to consider if you want to conserve your ammo.

But congrats on your successful hunt and bear meat bonanza!  Since you are playing Pilgrim you can eat bear meat with no fear of contracting parasites.

@shan_b. Yep, @Ruruwawa's right: one shot will kill the bear eventually. The length of time depends on the weapon and the location the bear was hit. The leg is something like 6 in game hours if memory serves. If the bear drops that's a result of a critical hit. So, when hunting, you can either shoot once and wait for the bear to expire or keep shooting to try and roll the critical hit. ^_^

Thanks guys, probably didn't need the last shot, but adrenaline got the better of me and I wanted him on the deck. I figure even at 3 rounds the bullet/meat ratio is still pretty good compared to deer

On to the next adventure

Shooting from fallen trees has become my favourite bear hunting method. I tried it first on the bear near Trapper's Cabin a while back. The fallen trees work as blinds but allow you to crouch and still be able to see your target. Lets you get a good clear shot at the head for that critical hit.

Starting a fire was the safest way but no longer bears care it once they start to charge.

Just pick a high ground and shoot it from back, to its head. It just runs away. If you shoot from its side from wherever you're, be sure it'll charge. Shooting from farmstead's terrace in PV is also a safe way. Just shoot and close the door. I haven't tried so I don't know whether it charges or not if you don't close the door. You can also fire a few arrows after it turns back and moves away a little. And this is better since you won't have to carry things from miles away. This tactic also work in TM mountaineers hut, but you have to lure bear to there.

Entering a car after shooting is also a way but you might not track the situation unless you step out of car, risky.

6 hours ago, Nicholai said:

Shooting from farmstead's terrace in PV is also a safe way. Just shoot and close the door. I haven't tried so I don't know whether it charges or not if you don't close the door

I just did this last night. I shot through the window, but couldn't tell if the bear responded to being hit or just the sound. After it stood up looking around confused I opened the door and put two in him and he dropped. It never charged or turned around, just seemed confused and couldn't tell where I was. It may have been a glitch because I was originally firing through the broken-looking window, not sure. I always hated that bear that hangs around the farmhouse anyway.

1 hour ago, garrettkteo said:

I just did this last night. I shot through the window, but couldn't tell if the bear responded to being hit or just the sound. After it stood up looking around confused I opened the door and put two in him and he dropped. It never charged or turned around, just seemed confused and couldn't tell where I was. It may have been a glitch because I was originally firing through the broken-looking window, not sure. I always hated that bear that hangs around the farmhouse anyway.

It may not charge into indoors, as you experienced. Once I shot from a long distance in TM and run immediately to mountainer's hut. It pursued me till I pass the stone wall like thing around the house, then it turned back and went.

Archived