i need a hobby. :-)

Axtos

4 hours ago, oplli said:

Well This shows that we are still interested in the hobby idea. I love the game dont starve, you always have something to do until you die. i Think that the mental side of the game is one of the biggest reasons for that. I dont say that The long dark should have a mental health system but sometimes we should have to take care of our character more than drinking water eating and heating up.  

I see. But this game is a sandbox.

It is not about "needing a hobby", it is about you, creating that hobby for yourself within the game.

The game nowadays has so much content you can basically always figure out something to do for yourself. But we, players, limit ourselves to either trying to optimilize everything, or just simply doing the same things in a routine.

If you want to keep enjoying the game after reaching 4000 days survived, you need to always make little challenges or tasks for yourself and fullfill them to "make the hobby" for yourself.

On 7/23/2016 at 7:05 AM, miah999 said:

What about an actual book or books? Project Gutenberg has tons of real book that are public domain, that could be included as a was to pass time. Read a page or two of a classic while you wait for that blizzard to pass. 

For some reason, it seems to me that I read somewhere the idea of adding fan creativity in the form of books read.  But I may be wrong.

I also like the idea of a Board game and the idea of drawing. But there is one requirement, you need to do it so that it does not take a lot of time. For example, I find it difficult to keep track of my time. And the main thing is that the process can be stopped and resumed from the point where it stopped.

And to all those who are against it. How often do you miss time?

I hate these moments. This breaks the flow of gameplay time. This means that there is nothing else to do but wait.  Unfortunately, I often have such moments.

My style of play involves the accumulation of resources and I really do not like long trips. In my oldest survival, I still haven't visited the Bay and quiet river. Just because every trip I make is a crazy adventure. And sometimes I just want to be in my cabin.

Seriously. So as not to waste time once again. I look into the fire. I'm counting resources. I move everything from place to place. I write all sorts of stupid things in my diary.

And if I have the opportunity to draw or add a 1000-piece puzzle with the image of the sea. I'll be damn happy.

I apologize. I use a translator. Also, I don't want to insult or annoy anyone. This is my opinion.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, k0s0ff said:

I also like the idea of a Board game and the idea of drawing. But there is one requirement, you need to do it so that it does not take a lot of time. For example, I find it difficult to keep track of my time. And the main thing is that the process can be stopped and resumed from the point where it stopped.

I like the idea of board games but I am not shure I understand what you mean by stopping the process and resume where it stopped. do you mean like if i have a scrabble in front of me and my letters are: A B Y T G P O then I stop. if I restart I will still have A B Y T G P O etc ? It is fine I use google translate often too :)  What language do you speak?

1 hour ago, oplli said:

I like the idea of board games but I am not shure I understand what you mean by stopping the process and resume where it stopped. do you mean like if i have a scrabble in front of me and my letters are: A B Y T G P O then I stop. if I restart I will still have A B Y T G P O etc ? It is fine I use google translate often too :)  What language do you speak?

Yes. You understand me correctly.)

Russian.

What is your native language?

• 1 month later...

umm my hobby is to sleep for svrl hours lol and i love to play my fav game ie fortnite, fifa, and mainly warframe because it have characters or we can say enemies like monster having huge huge horns like antelope type on their heads and 450+ different weapons with many combinations omggs im lovin it you can try playing games as a hobby causes its really good atleast you'll not get bore ❤️ ❤️❤️ 

30 minutes ago, wanniyamike said:

umm my hobby is to sleep for svrl hours lol and i love to play my fav game ie fortnite, fifa, and mainly warframe because it have characters or we can say enemies like monster having huge huge horns like antelope type on their heads and 450+ different weapons with many combinations omggs im lovin it you can try playing games as a hobby causes its really good atleast you'll not get bore ❤️ ❤️❤️ 

wao nice you're jealousing me lol anyways my hobby is to study about environment like how we can enhance our environment or like air that we use for breathing purpose by using different sorts of purifier[1] like for your house, your personal room, for your shop, salon etc and then i started a job in the air purifier store where we can get every type of purifier to clean our required environment like our living department our shops but now as everyone knows about corona and lockdown due to corona which is infecting our working routine and honestly its so disturbing everyone's live so thats why me and my team decided to work online and i guess its pretty cool cause after working online there'll be nothing which will affect our working routine so yea... and yea you can also choice this as your hobby

The thing is... we don't actually see the character doing anything.  Cooking is passing time, sewing is passing time, crafting is passing time; so why not just pass time as one's "hobby."  A deck of cards is already in the game... we here them shuffled when passing time.

Wood carving or any other art would be no more satisfying that making 10 wolf coats because the player can't actually see the player making the items and the items are "fixed" in their design.  I really don't see the point of this.

The making of maps is already in the game - it's done outdoors with charcoal... and it's pretty much just like passing time.

ETA:  So here's my idea... when the player opts to pass time in the game, a different UI opens with a solitaire mini-game.  Time in game reverts to real time, so if you spend 10 minutes playing the solitaire mini-game, that's how many minutes have passed in game.  The autosave that currently occurs when you let "passing time" finish could be changed to occur when you exit the regular UI and enter the solitaire game.

Edited by UpUpAway95
  • Upvote 1

I do like the idea of more non-survival type activities, but not in lieu of passing time, which doesn't bother me.

A while ago I suggested adding a camera to the game so survivors could document their adventure. If this were a polaroid camera, it would fit in with the current lore. You'd just have to make the film packs large enough (like 36 or 48 exposures) to make it worthwhile.

People have suggested sleds for ferrying equipment, but I'd like to see a toboggan for sledding. You could have it be (somewhat) steerable and have a brake (that could break!). You could make a game of it by including a speedometer and recording the top (or average) speed, allowing players to compare runs.

Also, I can't be the only one who sees all those stones and open doors in the fishing huts and wishes for a hockey stick. GBI is in Canada, after all!

19 minutes ago, Dr. S. said:

I do like the idea of more non-survival type activities, but not in lieu of passing time, which doesn't bother me.

A while ago I suggested adding a camera to the game so survivors could document their adventure. If this were a polaroid camera, it would fit in with the current lore. You'd just have to make the film packs large enough (like 36 or 48 exposures) to make it worthwhile.

People have suggested sleds for ferrying equipment, but I'd like to see a toboggan for sledding. You could have it be (somewhat) steerable and have a brake (that could break!). You could make a game of it by including a speedometer and recording the top (or average) speed, allowing players to compare runs.

Also, I can't be the only one who sees all those stones and open doors in the fishing huts and wishes for a hockey stick. GBI is in Canada, after all!

It might indeed be fun taking out the wolves on Mystery Lake with  my wicked slap shot. 😀