Home Base Screenshots

tnbp

I was looking at the thread with environmental screenshots in it just now.  So many great shots of such a beautiful game.  I haven't taken any environmental shots, yet, but I did think it was worth taking a screenshot of my home base setup.  I think it's pretty well-stocked.  I'm 90 days in and pondering just long how I'd be able to make it with all my supplies.  There are lots of things in containers, the locker, the first aid kit, and in the safe and such (I felt pretty fortunate to have three containers in here this game-- two metal under the bed and one plastic on the shelf.)  I typically only have pelts laid out when they're curing but some of these are already cured.  I move guts into a container when they finish curing, too.  There's a sizable pile of firewood next to the stove that isn't in this pic.  You also can't see my food store (because it's outside in the snow.  Haha.  I have probably weeks of food in a pile out there because of a recent bear kill and lots of time invested in hunting deer.)

Pretty homey, if I do say so, myself. :) 

screen_21b1d6f7-ca9c-499d-b25c-6d7d2f1c8

Does anyone else have a home base screenie they wanted to share?  I'd love to see other living spaces.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2016 at 10:28 AM, tnbp said:

I was looking at the thread with environmental screenshots in it just now.  So many great shots of such a beautiful game.  I haven't taken any environmental shots, yet, but I did think it was worth taking a screenshot of my home base setup.  I think it's pretty well-stocked.  I'm 90 days in and pondering just long how I'd be able to make it with all my supplies.  There are lots of things in containers, the locker, the first aid kit, and in the safe and such (I felt pretty fortunate to have three containers in here this game.)  I typically only have pelts laid out when they're curing but some of these are already cured.  I move guts into a container when they finish curing, too.  There's a sizable pile of firewood next the to stove that isn't in this pic.  You also can't see my food store (because it's outside in the snow.  Haha.  I have probably weeks of food in a pile out there because of a recent bear kill and lots of time invested in hunting deer.)

Pretty homey, if I do say so, myself. :) 

That's quite the loot haul, even after 90 days. How many regions have you scouted out so far to build that cache? :coffee:

I was wondering if i had enough water? Maybe i should make some more just in case! haha. I am going to take some snaps of my storage area later and post them here. I was really interested to see every ones methods and what is most efficient.

screen_b1f174d9-b4cb-4151-81d2-b20763542ae0_hi.png

2 hours ago, SurvivorMan said:

I was wondering if i had enough water? Maybe i should make some more just in case! haha. I am going to take some snaps of my storage area later and post them here. I was really interested to see every ones methods and what is most efficient.

LOL! Awesome

1 hour ago, SurvivorMan said:

Nice one! At least you won't go thirsty for a while. And welcome to the forums! :coffee:

4 hours ago, SurvivorMan said:

Hmm, with that rifle in your hand, I was wondering if you were going to use these bottles for target practice . . . 

Blame my childhood BB gun and pie plates - guilt by association . . .

:coffee:

3 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Hmm, with that rifle in your hand, I was wondering if you were going to use these bottles for target practice . . . 

Blame my childhood BB gun and pie plates - guilt by association . . .

:coffee:

Hmm now I am going to have to waste a round to see what happens if you shoot one 

On 6/8/2016 at 5:50 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

That's quite the loot haul, even after 90 days. How many regions have you scouted out so far to build that cache? :coffee:

I started in Mystery Lake and never left prior to 50+ days.  Around that point, I was getting short on arrows (I had lost a couple and hadn't found them again, yet.)  So I took a multi-day excursion to Coastal Highway to clean it out as much as I could.  After that, I went to Pleasant Valley, just to loot the barn and the farmhouse.  That's really it.  So I'm hopeful there's still a lot of loot out there to sustain me long-term, particularly if I end up needing to move onto Desolation Point or the Mountain somewhere down the line.

21 hours ago, SurvivorMan said:

Haha!  That's great. :) Looks like you've got a nice supply cache downstairs, too!

38 minutes ago, tnbp said:

I started in Mystery Lake and never left prior to 50+ days.  Around that point, I was getting short on arrows (I had lost a couple and hadn't found them again, yet.)  So I took a multi-day excursion to Coastal Highway to clean it out as much as I could.  After that, I went to Pleasant Valley, just to loot the barn and the farmhouse.  That's really it.  So I'm hopeful there's still a lot of loot out there to sustain me long-term, particularly if I end up needing to move onto Desolation Point or the Mountain somewhere down the line.

My friend you are in exactly the same position as me except I'm on day 130. ML and CH are completely looted and I just went to PV specifcly to find wetstones. Found them and came straight back to my lovely home. Although I am getting a little worried that if I leave it too long to head up timber wolf mountain all the coffee will be ruined.

3 hours ago, SurvivorMan said:

My friend you are in exactly the same position as me except I'm on day 130. ML and CH are completely looted and I just went to PV specifcly to find wetstones. Found them and came straight back to my lovely home. Although I am getting a little worried that if I leave it too long to head up timber wolf mountain all the coffee will be ruined.

Yeah, I needed whetstones, too, at the time I went on my looting run.  I think it took me maybe a week or so of game time.  You can't see them very well in the photo but I have maybe 5-6 each of hatchets and knives, so I should be set there for awhile, anyhow (though I have maybe 3-5 whetstones, too.)

I never bothered to go to the Abandoned Lookout in CH, so there might still be some supplies there.  But I had mostly read that it's often a wasted trip.

I also ended up going around and re-visiting each location in ML because apparently some new supplies showed up after the last update (like whetstones, which didn't exist in the world when I started this sandbox.)  So that is now fully looted again.

I have 10 arrowheads now (when I find the two that I put into animals that I've yet to locate) but I can see potentially needing more of them someday down the line, so Desolation Point is likely my next zone to loot-- but I think that's a long ways off.

On 6/9/2016 at 10:37 AM, SurvivorMan said:

I'm interested in seeing your storage area, too.  I'd also love to see more people post responses.  It's neat seeing how other people settle their environments.

Have you always used the Camp Office as your base?  Are you happy with the location?

1 hour ago, tnbp said:

Yeah, I needed whetstones, too, at the time I went on my looting run.  I think it took me maybe a week or so of game time.  You can't see them very well in the photo but I have maybe 5-6 each of hatchets and knives, so I should be set there for awhile, anyhow (though I have maybe 3-5 whetstones, too.)

I never bothered to go to the Abandoned Lookout in CH, so there might still be some supplies there.  But I had mostly read that it's often a wasted trip.

I also ended up going around and re-visiting each location in ML because apparently some new supplies showed up after the last update (like whetstones, which didn't exist in the world when I started this sandbox.)  So that is now fully looted again.

I have 10 arrowheads now (when I find the two that I put into animals that I've yet to locate) but I can see potentially needing more of them someday down the line, so Desolation Point is likely my next zone to loot-- but I think that's a long ways off.

I did a very similar trip but I did it in two runs back to back because of the amount of stuff I needed to carry. I have around 10 arrows but honestly have to admit I have not started to learn how to use the bow properly yet. I found so many bullets on my looting trips and I got the hunting preppers cache in ML with 15 rounds to start the game off. I'm sitting on about 40 bullets some how. I have to finish looting PV as I only looted the signal tower and the house with the basement. I'm a bit worried as I have never attempted TWM and I'm going to have to at some point and by this time I'm going to be 200 days maybe. I also have roughly 5 - 6 hatchets and knives + 3 whetstones. The question is how long do we wait it out to get the last of the supplies?

2 hours ago, SurvivorMan said:

I did a very similar trip but I did it in two runs back to back because of the amount of stuff I needed to carry. I have around 10 arrows but honestly have to admit I have not started to learn how to use the bow properly yet. I found so many bullets on my looting trips and I got the hunting preppers cache in ML with 15 rounds to start the game off. I'm sitting on about 40 bullets some how. I have to finish looting PV as I only looted the signal tower and the house with the basement. I'm a bit worried as I have never attempted TWM and I'm going to have to at some point and by this time I'm going to be 200 days maybe. I also have roughly 5 - 6 hatchets and knives + 3 whetstones. The question is how long do we wait it out to get the last of the supplies?

When I did my runs, I brought stuff back pretty encumbered.  I brought very little food when I went, expecting to hunt or fish if I really needed to but mostly expecting to live off of what I looted.  I did end up leaving quite a few things in the PV Farmhouse, though, that I could always go back for.  I can't remember what all was there but it was stuff I wasn't in dire need of, for sure (an extra lantern, a prybar, some water I took out of toilets, etc.)

We're in the midst of pretty similar games.  I also got the hunters cache in ML and I'm sitting on 60 bullets or so.  I try to never use the gun (except for bear hunting, which I've only done once, so far.)  Maybe it's a security blanket of sorts to have all those bullets lying around.  I don't know.  But I've left a few rifles in the world, too, because I already have three back at Home Sweet Home.

I started a new sandbox on Pilgrim in TWM just to get a lay of the land.  I was dead on day 3.  It's rough out there.  But at least in my long game, I have the crafted clothing, which would help a ton when trying to survive the elements (I contracted hypothermia and couldn't recover from it after a couple stretches of tough weather, even in the Mountaineer's Hut.)  So by the time I went there, I'm sure I'd be in decent position to loot what I could loot.

One regret I've had is not keeping enough spare clothing.  I have a spare jacket and spare boots but wish I had more as I seem to be pretty bad with wolf attacks.  I think I might try to shoot them too late.  In fact, my wolfskin jacket got destroyed once, already, so I'm back to hunting a few more of them to try and recreate it.  It might be worth going on a long expedition someplace just in the hopes of finding a parka...

Here is the storage area. All metal and cloth are in the draws along with my spare set of normal clothes, Matches and fire starting stuff in the medi cabinet and all food outside.Upstairs is all my cured stuff, fire wood, all medication  and water. I just ran out of fire wood but in the past i have a ridiculous pile as i did with my water haha :D . Who knows why i felt the erg to horde every single rifle in the land

20160610232022_1.jpg

20160610232621_1.jpg

1 hour ago, tnbp said:

When I did my runs, I brought stuff back pretty encumbered.  I brought very little food when I went, expecting to hunt or fish if I really needed to but mostly expecting to live off of what I looted.  I did end up leaving quite a few things in the PV Farmhouse, though, that I could always go back for.  I can't remember what all was there but it was stuff I wasn't in dire need of, for sure (an extra lantern, a prybar, some water I took out of toilets, etc.)

We're in the midst of pretty similar games.  I also got the hunters cache in ML and I'm sitting on 60 bullets or so.  I try to never use the gun (except for bear hunting, which I've only done once, so far.)  Maybe it's a security blanket of sorts to have all those bullets lying around.  I don't know.  But I've left a few rifles in the world, too, because I already have three back at Home Sweet Home.

I started a new sandbox on Pilgrim in TWM just to get a lay of the land.  I was dead on day 3.  It's rough out there.  But at least in my long game, I have the crafted clothing, which would help a ton when trying to survive the elements (I contracted hypothermia and couldn't recover from it after a couple stretches of tough weather, even in the Mountaineer's Hut.)  So by the time I went there, I'm sure I'd be in decent position to loot what I could loot.

One regret I've had is not keeping enough spare clothing.  I have a spare jacket and spare boots but wish I had more as I seem to be pretty bad with wolf attacks.  I think I might try to shoot them too late.  In fact, my wolfskin jacket got destroyed once, already, so I'm back to hunting a few more of them to try and recreate it.  It might be worth going on a long expedition someplace just in the hopes of finding a parka...

Very similar games indeed. I have my normal set of crafted clothes and i also keep a Parka, Cargo pants, Mittens and work boots in top condition and use these  most of the time and switch to crafted clothes for any heavy work.

You asked if i prefer the camp office as a home base. I used to always use trappers homestead because of the rabbits on the back door and no wolves around your base. after some time i  realized i would much prefer to be in the center of the map. Here its less distance to the next area and there is every type on animal very close the the office.

Another stroke of luck i had. I stumbled across the medical cache in PV, It was the first and only spot i checked on the map. I couldn't believe it was there

I think i will attempt the mountain very soon on a different save. I hope u get a Parka soon :D 

• 6 months later...
10 minutes ago, Piggy said:

How are you able to place items so precisely, flares on the shelf, water bottles on railings?

Greetings @Piggy!

When you are pointing at an item, right-click it and then it will turn green.  Now you can put it any place it remains green - if it changes to red then you cannot place it in that spot.  Left-click when you are ready to place it.

5 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Greetings @Piggy!

When you are pointing at an item, right-click it and then it will turn green.  Now you can put it any place it remains green - if it changes to red then you cannot place it in that spot.  Left-click when you are ready to place it.

I cannot believe I didn't know this! Thanks!!! :)

It really bothers me that keeping food "out" versus in a container degrades the items faster. As if it would make any different if a sealed candy bar was in a drawer or not. I kind of get it with meat and fish, but the temperature inside the cabin is like 6 degrees Celsius. That's as cold as a refrigerator.

Anyway to the point. The game is much more fun when you can place the physical objects in the world so they can be part of your gaming experience rather than abstract sets of numbers inside a a container of some sort so they have "optimum shelf life" for arbitrary reasons.

20170108054747_1.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the 185 day update to my home base screenies:

screen_dc41f94d-49ab-4eab-9b4d-8e4380018ae6_hi.pngscreen_496a41c2-2a38-4ca1-b6be-bce3d69d8021_hi.pngscreen_ce349b8c-d60e-4e51-b82e-8d529278fb48_hi.pngscreen_6f55a629-da17-4c79-917c-475d938d2cab_hi.png

There is so much stuff laying on tables and on the floor.  My base is a cry for help in the "moveable storage containers" department.  The locker, the safe, and the three storage bins are all filled with stuff.  No food, of course, because it doesn't keep, so I have piles of food outside the front door (which would also be nice to keep in containers.)

I had mentioned in another thread that I feel like I will die of boredom before I die of anything else, at this point.  My base is much, much more well-stocked after 185 days than it was at 90 days.  And with the bearskin coat I'm now wearing, I've yet to experience weather that made the temperature feel lower than 35 degrees F consistently.  Once I pass 200 days and I've gotten the achievement, I'll likely start a new game.  But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the comfort of all my stuff. :)

Archived