new food items!

Tbone555

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, it does not reliably clean wounds. It's been discussed before.

While it can be used to disinfect wounds, which means it reduces pathogen load, it will not fully clean a wound. Also, it damages healthy tissue, causing tissue death and decomposition, which can serve as a point of origin for infection.

Whether it's rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethyl alcohol (the stuff you drink), the end result is the same. A high enough concentration to reduce the amount of bacteria (i.e. 140 proof, or 70% alcohol) is high enough to cause tissue damage. So you end up doing more harm than good.

It's best used to clean intact skin. Not wounds.

58 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

No, it does not reliably clean wounds. It's been discussed before.

While it can be used to disinfect wounds, which means it reduces pathogen load, it will not fully clean a wound. Also, it damages healthy tissue, causing tissue death and decomposition, which can serve as a point of origin for infection.

Whether it's rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol) or ethyl alcohol (the stuff you drink), the end result is the same. A high enough concentration to reduce the amount of bacteria (i.e. 140 proof, or 70% alcohol) is high enough to cause tissue damage. So you end up doing more harm than good.

It's best used to clean intact skin. Not wounds.

Okay, so we can rule that one out.

As for the topic at hand, I just did some research on Canadian cuisine and came up with some more suggestions:

• Baked beans - beans cooked in maple syrup. I heard they are quite tasty, but personally, I'm not a huge fan of beans.
  • Oka cheese, a semi-soft cheese.
  • Candy apples - also sold in Germany! Last reasonably long. Too sweet for my taste, and I can eat an entire chocolate bar in one sitting.
  • Moosehunters - basically molassess cookies. Any Canadian survivors here to tell us of their taste?
  • Pickles!
  • A variety on coffee - we have three sodas that differ only in name and skin. How about some cappucino? More calories but less caffeine. Cappucino powder can be prepared with hot water (in fact, I'm having one right now).

Welcome to the forums @Mesha ^_^

While alcohol can also be used as an accelerant you're better off with lighter fluid. The vapour pressure for alcohols is much lower than the simple alkanes found in fuels so consistently getting it to light will be harder. Alcohol also has a high water content. Remember, it's not enough for the accelerant to just burn - it also has to get the fuel burning. Admittedly a high enough proof alcohol (low water content) would work but for simplicity's sake... :winky:

While alcohol has a very low vapour pressure, it burns with an intensely hot blue flame. This heat causes the alcohol to evaporate further, and so it burns even more vigorously. However, the thing with alcohol is not how big the flame is, but how hot it is. Ethanol can reach 1900°C, which should be more than sufficient to ignite wood.

I've lit a fire with hand sanitation gel before now.

i would also like to see alcohol give us some more unpleasant effects. for example - drinking alcohol in cold weather will make you feel warm, but will not realistically warm you up. an example of what i mean, would be that when we drink alcohol the "feels like" temperature goes up, the "freezing" icon goes away and you think youre warm, when really youre still freezing and in risk of hypothermia.

or, maybe we'll have blurred vision and be less agile, depending on how much we drink. take one or two shots, we'll still have full, maybe even enhanced capability. drinking a bit does help you stay level headed and calm in dangerous situations, after all.
but drinking half a bottle will have us stumbling around, blurred vision, increased chance of sprains (from falling down) and be incapable of properly fighting off wolves.

also, im for using it as an antiseptic as well. however, it should only work half as well as medical antiseptic.

23 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Okay, so we can rule that one out.

As for the topic at hand, I just did some research on Canadian cuisine and came up with some more suggestions:

• Baked beans - beans cooked in maple syrup. I heard they are quite tasty, but personally, I'm not a huge fan of beans.
  • Oka cheese, a semi-soft cheese.
  • Candy apples - also sold in Germany! Last reasonably long. Too sweet for my taste, and I can eat an entire chocolate bar in one sitting.
  • Moosehunters - basically molassess cookies. Any Canadian survivors here to tell us of their taste?
  • Pickles!
  • A variety on coffee - we have three sodas that differ only in name and skin. How about some cappucino? More calories but less caffeine. Cappucino powder can be prepared with hot water (in fact, I'm having one right now).

i love all of these ideas :D
i'd like to see some espresso there, aswell. it'll give us twice the caffeine content, but less calories as espresso is drank in a small shot rather than a cup.
drinking too much espresso could also lead to caffeine overdose, and even heart attack in real life. i used to be a pretty frequent drinker of the stuff - one small shot in the morning has you going for hours. but still. its just not the same as a nice hot cup of coffee haha

hell, might as well just give us a starbucks on coastal highway xD

1 minute ago, Tbone555 said:

i would also like to see alcohol give us some more unpleasant effects. for example - drinking alcohol in cold weather will make you feel warm, but will not realistically warm you up. an example of what i mean, would be that when we drink alcohol the "feels like" temperature goes up, the "freezing" icon goes away and you think youre warm, when really youre still freezing and in risk of hypothermia.

or, maybe we'll have blurred vision and be less agile, depending on how much we drink. take one or two shots, we'll still have full, maybe even enhanced capability. drinking a bit does help you stay level headed and calm in dangerous situations, after all.
but drinking half a bottle will have us stumbling around, blurred vision, increased chance of sprains (from falling down) and be incapable of properly fighting off wolves.

also, im for using it as an antiseptic as well. however, it should only work half as well as medical antiseptic.

i love all of these ideas :D
i'd like to see some espresso there, aswell. it'll give us twice the caffeine content, but less calories as espresso is drank in a small shot rather than a cup.
drinking too much espresso could also lead to caffeine overdose, and even heart attack in real life. i used to be a pretty frequent drinker of the stuff - one small shot in the morning has you going for hours. but still. its just not the same as a nice hot cup of coffee haha

hell, might as well just give us a starbucks on coastal highway xD

Espresso requires some sort of pressurized cooker, so it'd take some effort I guess.

In Germany we can buy pre-cooked chicken meat in broth, how's the situation on that in the northern USA/Canada?

13 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Espresso requires some sort of pressurized cooker, so it'd take some effort I guess.

In Germany we can buy pre-cooked chicken meat in broth, how's the situation on that in the northern USA/Canada?

Same

8 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

i'm not too familiar with canadian cuisine, however here in the US the closest thing to that is chicken soup. which is the perfect food for a cold day, or when you get ill :P

they do make a powdered espresso, which makes like regular coffee. it's not quite the same as authentic espresso, but it has the same benefits.

1 minute ago, Tbone555 said:

i'm not too familiar with canadian cuisine, however here in the US the closest thing to that is chicken soup. which is the perfect food for a cold day, or when you get ill :P

they do make a powdered espresso, which makes like regular coffee. it's not quite the same as authentic espresso, but it has the same benefits.

Considering the chicken, I sometimes get the feeling we're talking about the same thing but I'm sort of lost in translation. If I can find the item I am talking about in the next few days, I'm gonna post it here.

what about home-cooked vegetable soup? with this new cooking skill, i'll only have to assume that recipes will be added to enrich the cooking mechanic. in the summer and fall, we'll be able to grow our own fresh veges and preserve them, in order to throw those in some hot water, add a little seasoning and pulled venison. man, oh man, NOTHING beats mom's home-cooked vege soup on a cold winter day. that is like, the jewel of winter time around here *-*

8 minutes ago, Tbone555 said:

what about home-cooked vegetable soup? with this new cooking skill, i'll only have to assume that recipes will be added to enrich the cooking mechanic. in the summer and fall, we'll be able to grow our own fresh veges and preserve them, in order to throw those in some hot water, add a little seasoning and pulled venison. man, oh man, NOTHING beats mom's home-cooked vege soup on a cold winter day. that is like, the jewel of winter time around here *-*

This. It's also easy to make if you can get the hang of it (took me a few failed attempts. Mine might be worse than your mother's though)

8 hours ago, EternityTide said:

While alcohol has a very low vapour pressure, it burns with an intensely hot blue flame. This heat causes the alcohol to evaporate further, and so it burns even more vigorously. However, the thing with alcohol is not how big the flame is, but how hot it is. Ethanol can reach 1900°C, which should be more than sufficient to ignite wood.

I've lit a fire with hand sanitation gel before now.

My problem isn't with the alcohol it's with the water content. In the cold it will be even harder for the alcohol to evaporate (so you can light it) and the water will cool down and quench any nascent flame. Hand sanitizer doesn't contain water so it's not a problem. 

Lighting a fire with pure alcohol wouldn't be a problem at all.

10 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Hand sanitizer doesn't contain water so it's not a problem. 

I have a bottle of hand sanitizer next to me right now that would be inclined to disagree. According to the label, it's 20% water.
Regardless, the immediate locality of a lit match will get quite hot very quickly. Once the alcohol is lit, it will start a chain reaction that will warm up the rest of the alcohol to its flashpoint quite rapidly.

This is a bit of a moot debate, however, since I believe that alcohol, while it would serve as an accelerant in-game, would (and should) be inferior to lighter fluid and kerosene.

@EternityTide Yes but most alcohol that you buy is >70% water. Plus, the other material in hand sanitizer is also flammable. Good catch on the water content though. I was going off a different ingredients list.

My core point is soaking a pile of wood with a bottle of vodka won't help light it. You'll burn off the alcohol and be left with wet wood. Soaking it with moonshine would. I know this because I do a science demo for kids every spring where we burn (fake) money. Using pure alcohol (100% isopropanol) results in a really nice flame and some rapidly burnt money. A 50% solution in water results in a really nice flame... that goes out quickly leaving the money intact (and a little wet). And remember, this is in a classroom at 20C with no wind ^_^

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

@EternityTide Yes but most alcohol that you buy is >70% water. Plus, the other material in hand sanitizer is also flammable. Good catch on the water content though. I was going off a different ingredients list.

My core point is soaking a pile of wood with a bottle of vodka won't help light it. You'll burn off the alcohol and be left with wet wood. Soaking it with moonshine would. I know this because I do a science demo for kids every spring where we burn (fake) money. Using pure alcohol (100% isopropanol) results in a really nice flame and some rapidly burnt money. A 50% solution in water results in a really nice flame... that goes out quickly leaving the money intact (and a little wet). And remember, this is in a classroom at 20C with no wind ^_^

Not to mention that water is one of the byproducts of ethanol oxidation aka. burning it:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/Ethanol-Verbrennung-V1.svg

Archived