new food items!

Tbone555

On 08/08/2016 at 11:49 PM, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @isidro_basta! ^_^

Thanks!

I haven't read the entire thread but saw that the subject of bread has been brought on. So maybe I'm irrelevant, but anyways. I remember my roommate when I was in exchange in Argentina making what he called "galetitas del pobre", "the poor's crepe" (roughly translated - in French and in Spanish, a galetitas or galette is any type of flat, round and cereal-based food). I had no money at the time and this recipe is a life-saver. Basically you just mix plain flour and hot water with a wooden spoon, form balls of this dough, flatten em, and cook em on a hot pan.

Turns out I made a lot of these, varying the recipe (w/ oil, salt, spices, cheese, yeast), and using either a frying pan or an oven, both work nicely. Once I made those on a campfire, using a small pan.
Anyhow, just to say making this doesn't require a lot of knowledge/experience.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, isidro_basta said:

I had no money at the time and this recipe is a life-saver. Basically you just mix plain flour and hot water with a wooden spoon, form balls of this dough, flatten em, and cook em on a hot pan.

Considering the contents of my wallet I should remember this, thanks :D

And yeah, basic breads could be a valuable addition to the game. Maybe twist bread without the yeast? I remember making it with beer instead of yeast when I was younger and it was just fine.

I'd honestly would just love the idea of any kind of new food, but being able to make your own kind of foods based on fat count or using knowledge on how long certain foods last and make that.

A new variety of pretty much anything at this point would be awesome! Even being able to build your own shelter, not just a snow shelter which you can't do anything in. 

Love reading everyones ideas! :D

I'd also like to see the possibility of combining food:

• Bread and peanut butter: It's a common food among the homeless
  • Meat and peaches in a stew: Sweet-salty goodness.
  • Peaches and chocolate: The sweetest of the sweet
  • Granola-bar battering of meat - who needs the Colonel?
  • A simple button to "Have a drink with your meal" so I don't have to drink weirdly low amounts of water after eating something.

Welcome, @PallasD.

A little bit off-topic, but I wonder whether there's anyone from Hinterland responsible for taking notes and organizing the players' best/most interesting suggestions. I mean, it's great to socialize with you guys/gals, but you know... Because if there's none, one of us should -- at least to give the forthcoming modders a few ideas.

17 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Considering the contents of my wallet I should remember this, thanks :D

And yeah, basic breads could be a valuable addition to the game. Maybe twist bread without the yeast? I remember making it with beer instead of yeast when I was younger and it was just fine.

You're welcome :)

During winter and spring I ate those with a hot nettle soup. Turns out nettle replace spinach pretty well and it's not that bad once the irritating poison wears off. And it's richer and tastier when you add a potatoe or two, garlic cloves and some lard.

We're talking distant future there, but I'd love to be able to harvest nettle and other edible wild plants once they lauch season two and spring survival. I'm thinking nettle because it grows absolutly anywhere and is full of vitamins (and because I don't know a lot of edible wild plants.)

4 hours ago, isidro_basta said:

You're welcome :)

During winter and spring I ate those with a hot nettle soup. Turns out nettle replace spinach pretty well and it's not that bad once the irritating poison wears off. And it's richer and tastier when you add a potatoe or two, garlic cloves and some lard.

We're talking distant future there, but I'd love to be able to harvest nettle and other edible wild plants once they lauch season two and spring survival. I'm thinking nettle because it grows absolutly anywhere and is full of vitamins (and because I don't know a lot of edible wild plants.)

Absolutely this. I have mentioned nettles before (maybe 5-8 pages ago :D ) and have eaten them IRL. Good thing is that they have a good load of vitamins and protein and they grow like the weeds they are. They also make a very good tea! Same goes for dandelions, although I don't eat those since they only grow next to roads where I live and I don't really need to eat veggies with dog pee and car exhausts.

Always been to busy being stung by nettles to bother eating them.

But your right that the are pretty good eating, if handled properly.

But the don't grow here in the winter, I can't imagine they'd fair much better in Canada. Same goes for most weed type plants.

Just now, Wastelander said:

They don't grow in winter at all, be it Spain or Canada. If there's snow, there's no nettles. They are, however, a good thing to keep in mind for when seasons come up!

I see, I assumed you were suggesting them for the current game.

If spring comes to TLD, then it might be best to keep things a little abstract, and just call these and similar edibles "wild greens". The only reason to have specific names for items would be if they had differing uses and nutritional/medical values. But if they are implemented as simple generic food, no reason to have 30 different kinds of plants that all just turn into boiled greens after you cook them.

That's what my game design training is telling me anyway.

That said, seeing a variety of plants with lots of different uses would be nice.

20 hours ago, Hiemalis said:

Welcome, @PallasD.

A little bit off-topic, but I wonder whether there's anyone from Hinterland responsible for taking notes and organizing the players' best/most interesting suggestions. I mean, it's great to socialize with you guys/gals, but you know... Because if there's none, one of us should -- at least to give the forthcoming modders a few ideas.

Yep, we track community feedback constantly. And many ideas that have already made it into the game, and that appear on the Roadmap, reflect this. Understandably, new items are always high on the list of requests. ;)

And nettle soup! To my knowledge (as others point out) not a winter plant. Although it sounds like some people dry them? So down the road, who knows? They are apparently high in protein. 

Just now, Patrick Carlson said:

And nettle soup! To my knowledge (as others point out) not a winter plant. Although it sounds like some people dry them? So down the road, who knows? They are apparently high in protein. 

In the winter of 1945/46, Germans survived off of nettle soup, so yes, they do have a good protein content, vitamin content and an acceptable calorie density :) just steer clear of the ones growing next to roads for the reasons mentioned above.

On 5/27/2016 at 6:59 AM, Wastelander said:

• Bacon. I read it can be canned. Why would we add another canned food? Because bacon.

Canned bacon is one of the great joys in life when you're away from civilization... and one of the foulest things imaginable when you're back in the world.

Canoeing the Chochocouane River in Reserve Faunique La Verendrye, that canned bacon made the best breakfast sandwiches... I couldn't get enough.

Back home? I could barely tolerate it. :)

I'd love to see canned bacon in this game.

2677881328_bd9d8215a0_o.jpg

Something that i will continue to strongly backup until it is implemented is Salt! It's a staple ingredient in cooking, the idea is simple, and I believe that it would easily fit itself in the game. 

In my mind, salt in TLD would mainly allow for the preservation of meats/fishes. Smoking could be done at a fire, existing as a 'cooking' feature and requiring salt. The preserved food could have its calorie gain lowered, however would have a considerably longer shelf time. 

As a luxury ingredient, salt could exist very sparingly in small bottles or shakers around households, or could be obtained through the drying of sea water in the fishing huts in coastal highway.  

6 hours ago, 3rdbrother said:

Something that i will continue to strongly backup until it is implemented is Salt! It's a staple ingredient in cooking, the idea is simple, and I believe that it would easily fit itself in the game. 

In my mind, salt in TLD would mainly allow for the preservation of meats/fishes. Smoking could be done at a fire, existing as a 'cooking' feature and requiring salt. The preserved food could have its calorie gain lowered, however would have a considerably longer shelf time. 

As a luxury ingredient, salt could exist very sparingly in small bottles or shakers around households, or could be obtained through the drying of sea water in the fishing huts in coastal highway.  

You don't need salt when smoking meat. At all. It certainly helps,  but you don't need it.

Requiring a resource for a process that, in real life, doesn't need it is little more than artificial difficulty. Sorry, disagree.

3 minutes ago, Boston123 said:

You don't need salt when smoking meat. At all. It certainly helps,  but you don't need it.

Requiring a resource for a process that, in real life, doesn't need it is little more than artificial difficulty. Sorry, disagree.

Salted meats on the other hand :winky:

3 hours ago, Boston123 said:

Salting isn't smoking.

Of course, why we are going to bother salting or smoking, when there is a perfectly good freeze-dryer operating 24/7 right outside the door is beyond me.

Pragmatism.

I know but in the summer months when you're not surrounded by ice salt fish and salt meat should both be options.

Although smoking and even sun drying is probably easier and just as effective.

9 hours ago, cekivi said:

I know but in the summer months when you're not surrounded by ice salt fish and salt meat should both be options.

Although smoking and even sun drying is probably easier and just as effective.

I personally have dried both fish and meat in the middle of a southern New England summer, using nothing more than sun and wind.

Cut it thin, like "see light through it" thin, then suspend it in a place where it gets exposed to both high winds and sun. So long as you cut it thin enough, insects won't be able to lay eggs on it, and the sun and wind will remove moisture from it too fast for bacteria to grow.

I prefer smoking to salting, as smoking can be done with stuff you find in the woods (birchwood is particularity good for smoking, actually), and it can accomplish multiple tasks at once (preserve food, smoke hides for tanning), and it doesn't take up valuable resources.

Salting, on the other hand, requires ....... well, salt, and often a great deal of it. And, where are you going to get it. Boiling seawater? Urgh, no thanks, not with all the chemicals released by factories in it. I would rather save the salt we can find in houses for trading, or for emergency preservation.

http://www.avclub.com/article/taste-test-cheeseburger-in-a-can-2183

Apparently, this is from Germany originally, so I'm not entirely sure if it can make its way into Canada, considering that you apparently can get them only off of eBay in the states. Also, I apologize in behalf of my entire country for producing this. Still, I'd sort-of like to see something similar to it as some sort of last-resort food-item that will DEFINITELY do doubleplusungood things to your digestive tract.

Good video, but vsauce just isn't the same when it's not made by Michael. Seriously, I sometimes read stuff in his voice.

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2016 at 1:27 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Yep, we track community feedback constantly. And many ideas that have already made it into the game, and that appear on the Roadmap, reflect this. Understandably, new items are always high on the list of requests. ;)

Speaking of protein, has anyone mentioned protein powder (whey, soy, etc.)??

It's lightweight and packs a good amount of calories and obviously protein - just add water! 

On 5/26/2016 at 5:25 PM, RighteousFury said:

After doing minimal research, I found out that if you cook a crow till it's "well done" it is perfectly safe. If you can nail a crow, you should be able to pick it up whole and clean it for a bounty of feathers and a little meat.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/can-you-actually-eat-crow.10671/

I'd like the ability to kill crows. Not for food, but for feathers. Make them hard to hit, but your reward is a bunch of those elusive feathers!

Archived