new food items!

Tbone555

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Claysmiff1702 said:

Also... I would like a monte cristo with poutine, please, sir. At least the poutine. C'mon.

Well, fries and gravy would be pretty hard to come by, let alone prepare in The Long Dark, so I'm not with you on that one, sorry.

In reality, consuming scavengers and predators is risky business. Predators are more likely to contain parasites and are prone to the bioaccumulation of heavy metals and other toxins (hence why tuna have such high mercury levels). Scavengers, such as crows, are even worse. They are even more likely to host parasites, pathogens and similar , because they eat the dead (some of which will have died of disease and/or massive parasite infestation).

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Beyond Tuna and other predatory fish, the meat in my diet all comes from herbivores. I would not touch wolf or bear with a barge pole.

As for cannibalism, Hinterland studios has very firmly said "No". And they don't seem likely to change on that front.

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, alone sniper said:

I think sunflower oil should be great.
French fries!!!!!!

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, cooking oil could be an addition, but most (if not all) commercial cooking oils don't really age well in the cold conditions found in most buildings. However, finding potatos and making potato wedges in deer fat should definitely be a possibility - high calorie count and it's soul food, so with the upcoming willpower-mechanic, tasty food will become more and more important.

On that note, some things I'd like to see added as well:

• Make the MRE an actual Canaidan IMP - Individual Meal Pack, with all its contents - they got the main dish right, but it also contains beverage powder (over 10 choices there, to conserve programming resources they should limit it to coffee), soup, side dishes, condiments, spices, cutlery, matches, a paper towel and a toothpick. Now, not all of these should be in-game (I am a strong opponent of a hygiene-meter, and thus all associated items are opposed by me), but IMPs should definitely be powerful but rare.
  • Bones. I mentioned them before, since you can eat the bone marrow (which is also pretty tasty) - but you can use even an 'empty' bone to make some stock that gives at least a 100 calories per portion. Maybe as emergency food.
  • Brains - basically fat. Tastes nasty but will keep you running. High chance of food poisoning. slightly lowered by cooking. Slightly.
  • Popsicles. Hear me out - I have been poor for the majority of my life, and while I do live comfortably now I am still officially under the poverty line - popsicles carry a few calories and can effectively combat hunger pangs, possibly at the price of temperature.

13 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

most (if not all) commercial cooking oils don't really age well in the cold conditions

Can you provide some reference for this? I keep my cooking oil in the fridge to avoid it going rancid. I have not tried keeping in the freezer however I've kept lard and margarine there without any degradation whatsoever. Heat, not cold, is the typical thing that causes food degradation. Coldness slows bacterial decay as well as oxidation or other chemical break down reactions.

Here is a very interesting article which covers the evolution of food types and food preservation technologies. Note that in cold climates, all that is necessary is to dry the food in the cold, dry air.

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodfaq3.html

The Long Dark cannot simulate all aspects of life and survival; the features that are chosen are such that they introduce a variety of choices especially trade offs and they have some appeal to people even if they are not practical. Flint knapping is an example of an interesting activity that is only useful in real life under very special circumstances: the complete absence of metal. Forging is a survival tactic that is only useful when suitable alternatives (knives) are not available or perhaps to fashion or repair tools such as animal traps. In the game, we don't get spoons or kitchen knives as we would in the real world; this creates the artificial constraint of scarcity of knives. Scarcity of certain resources is necessary to make the game interesting. One could construct a scenario that was very similar to real life where man-made items simply are not available. You might be lucky to find a few nails or tin cans. In Canada, the vast majority of area is simply wilderness in the mountains.

Winter is typically a time of great scarcity of natural foods; food preservation of some sort seems to make sense. Strictly speaking, its not necessary to pure game play however it does appeal to the sense of realism or pseudo realism.

Another thing to understand about crafting and making things is that we players derive satisfaction from it. The crackling fire, the sound of food frying, the terrifying night sounds in the wilderness, the ring of hammer on red-hot iron, the visual appeal of glowing metal and sparks. Flint knapping is an art that can produce extremely beautiful items however if it were implemented in a simplistic fashion, it's not going to have the same cachet or appeal. I'm not sure that there is any easy way to replicate the knapping process in a satisfying manner. Obviously a highly accurate simulation involving all the physics is simply not practical. I think we could make a simplified knapping process but we'd need to be certain that it is a feature that the community finds attractive. My preferences don't count for much however (I think) there is considerable interest in early humans and how we got to the modern age.

@SteveP you are right about degradation, I was more talking about taste, my bad.

Winter is typically a time of great scarcity of natural foods; food preservation of some sort seems to make sense. Strictly speaking, its not necessary to pure game play however it does appeal to the sense of realism or pseudo realism.

I'm definitely with you on that one!

Another thing to understand about crafting and making things is that we players derive satisfaction from it. The crackling fire, the sound of food frying, the terrifying night sounds in the wilderness, the ring of hammer on red-hot iron, the visual appeal of glowing metal and sparks.

Hinterland should quote you on that one, that's really powerful.

11 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Hinterland should quote you on that one, that's really powerful

Thanks! I wish I could find the right words to share some of the thoughts about games and war and the horrors of war and the realities of our hoffnungslos world.

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:44 PM, RighteousFury said:

Why "NO!!!" to human flesh? It's a delicacy.

... and youre a psychopath xD

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 9:59 AM, Docterrok said:

Might as well leave this here.

image.thumb.jpeg.9cba867d35dcb31250e7861ef304daa0.jpeg

LOVE this chart, man! especially instant noodles. did you make this yourself? if so, i must commend you for your creativity.
"kernal krunch." ... thats clever. if ever i make an off-brand breakfast cereal, i might have to buy the rights to that name from you xD

as for a side note to all - cannibalism. i'd personally appreciate it if it stops being mentioned here. as said before, hinterland has already refused the suggestion, so it's a moot point. no use mentioning it anymore. such an in-humane topic has no place on this thread. thanks :)

19 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

... and youre a psychopath xD

LOVE this chart, man! especially instant noodles. did you make this yourself? if so, i must commend you for your creativity.
"kernal krunch." ... thats clever. if ever i make an off-brand breakfast cereal, i might have to buy the rights to that name from you xD

as for a side note to all - cannibalism. i'd personally appreciate it if it stops being mentioned here. as said before, hinterland has already refused the suggestion, so it's a moot point. no use mentioning it anymore. such an in-humane topic has no place on this thread. thanks :)

thanks man, and yes, i did come up with the names.

Just now, alone sniper said:

makes me hungry!

This entire thread does everytime I click on it.

But yeah, if we're looking at survival food, we should take  good look at the pre-electric era of mankind and how things were done back then. I'm all for more processed foods in the game, but we have to look at long-term survival here.

One comment on the earlier part of the thread on alcohol, it has other uses besides drinking (I know, blasphemy).  It is Alcohol, you can pour it on wounds.  If you drink it you get a mild pain killing effect, so you can treat that sprain with it (unless you were already drunk at the time of the sprain, then your all set to go).

It also will dehydrate you. 

Archived