new food items!

Tbone555

14 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Drinking alcohol in cold weather can actually be quite deadly - it expands the blood vessels close to your skin, so you feel warm, but actually you lose warmth at a greater rate. I tihnk the most detrimental effect would be the game simply lying about the feels-like temperature.

If alcohol is ever added, sure hope they include that part of it too 

8 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

hmm, three bottles of wine, a glass of single malt Scotch, and three beers, and I wasn't staggeringly drunk.

Too drunk to lip-read a conversation, yeah, but not staggering. But close! :geek:

I used to be able to drink Long Island iced teas all night long but I've noticed my tolerance decrease substantially over the last 10 years :$

On the additional food topic, I wonder why we never ever find fruit anywhere?

Or bags of trail mix?

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

If alcohol is ever added, sure hope they include that part of it too 

I used to be able to drink Long Island iced teas all night long but I've noticed my tolerance decrease substantially over the last 10 years :$

On the additional food topic, I wonder why we never ever find fruit anywhere?

Or bags of trail mix?

Well, fruit's perishable. Without new supplies from a grocery store any fruit in homes would likely decay away. It'd also probably be one of the first things eaten because it is known to rot so fast.

Lack of trail mix may just be to limit the number of food items in the game since functionally trail mix would be the same as the granola already in the game.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Well, fruit's perishable. Without new supplies from a grocery store any fruit in homes would likely decay away. It'd also probably be one of the first things eaten because it is known to rot so fast.

Lack of trail mix may just be to limit the number of food items in the game since functionally trail mix would be the same as the granola already in the game.

Reasons why fruit is not there make sense & the same thing I was thinking about it. Same on trail mix, but the variety would be nice and also because it is high calorie. 

Like alcohol ;)

Ice cream - cas it isn't cold enough already :P

jam/preserves - these could last longer as preserved and provide significant energy boost  found or made (would need berries/fruits clearly, plus pectin and sugar)

crisps - but salty like crackers so u need to drink more

packet food - eg dried pasta in a sachet and needs hot water to make like the coffee

hot chocolate - just because I love it!

someone mentioned this before but love the idea of being able to make stews and different soups by mixing the right ingredients in the right proportion.

2 hours ago, Grimm_sumtotal said:

Ice cream - cas it isn't cold enough already :P

jam/preserves - these could last longer as preserved and provide significant energy boost  found or made (would need berries/fruits clearly, plus pectin and sugar)

crisps - but salty like crackers so u need to drink more

packet food - eg dried pasta in a sachet and needs hot water to make like the coffee

hot chocolate - just because I love it!

someone mentioned this before but love the idea of being able to make stews and different soups by mixing the right ingredients in the right proportion.

Welcome to the forums @Grimm_sumtotal! ^_^

And yes, soups and stews would be nice to have.

I mentioned this earlier before, but what about lobster, are they present in the area?

Also, what do you guys and gals think about chewing gum for the upcoming morale system? Zero nutritional value, but it tastes nice. Maybe add a used chewing gum as some kind of emergency glue :D

3 hours ago, Lovehandel said:

I don't think you could walk through a place like CH and not find a few boxes of macaroni and cheese. A Canada without Kraft Diner is not worth surviving in.

Sadly I ate a few too many boxes in undergrad. It kinda spoiled the taste for me :durbear:

1 minute ago, cekivi said:

Sadly I ate a few too many boxes in undergrad. It kinda spoiled the taste for me :durbear:

In Germany, you can get dried noodle dishes for 85 cents bag, really love the Carbonara you can get at Penny. Just add half a liter of water and boil it. Craving one right now. Wonder if these things exist in Canada...

27 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

In Germany, you can get dried noodle dishes for 85 cents bag, really love the Carbonara you can get at Penny. Just add half a liter of water and boil it. Craving one right now. Wonder if these things exist in Canada...

Yes they do. In many shapes and flavours

Edit:

Spelling

2 minutes ago, Lovehandel said:

Yes they do. In many shapes and flavours

Awesome!

Another thing I thought about - we always talk about 'foods', but let's just say we're in a pretty nasty situation - all the cans are gone, there is no meat, the cookies contain raisins and there's a bear outside making death threats and saying very disparaging things about us and our mothers - what do we eat? In a real emergency, I think paper could at least keep us going for a few more hours, although whatever it does to the digestive tract should be painful at least.

8 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Awesome!

Another thing I thought about - we always talk about 'foods', but let's just say we're in a pretty nasty situation - all the cans are gone, there is no meat, the cookies contain raisins and there's a bear outside making death threats and saying very disparaging things about us and our mothers - what do we eat? In a real emergency, I think paper could at least keep us going for a few more hours, although whatever it does to the digestive tract should be painful at least.

Human beings cannot digest paper, as it contains cellulose.

5 hours ago, Wastelander said:

Huh, okay. Are there any other emergency-foods one does not usually think about?

I don't know about you but I'll be quite happy munching on those raisin cookies ^_^

During various arctic disasters (e.g. the Franklin Expedition) people have been known to eat leather. Don't suspect it has many nutrients though.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

I don't know about you but I'll be quite happy munching on those raisin cookies ^_^

During various arctic disasters (e.g. the Franklin Expedition) people have been known to eat leather. Don't suspect it has many nutrients though.

Leather has a similar level of nutrition to super-lean meat; that is, not very much. Leather has more value as a covering than as food, but if worse comes to worse, you could survive off eating it.

Other than that, there is bark, or even bark-bread.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bark_bread

Archived