new food items!

Tbone555

Just now, Wasteland Watcher said:

@Wastelander

I like your ideas, they're all really cool, detailed, and interesting! 

Granola bars and cheese actually would not be so bad. Kind of like dried fruits and cheese, which would pair well with wine ;)

Just not nearly as good :P

I think it is really hard to see drunkenness  properly simulated in games.

Playing a lot of games I have not seen any do a good job of simulating being buzzed. 

They all pretty much simulate you being shit-faced.

Usually after a single bottle beer or some unrealistic amount.

To get staggering drunk it would take me three bottles of wine, or 5 Long Island Ice-T's ( maybe 4),  or 10 beers. 

I'd do it the following way: Three stages of drunkenness

Stage 1: Tipsy. Controls are getting just a bit sluggish, and the edge of your vision becomes a bit blurred - this is to tell you that it's time to stop.

Stage 2: Intoxicated. Walking becomes difficult, no sprinting, penalty to fatigue, vision becomes more blurred. Really, it's time to stop now.

Stage 3: The Long Mardi-Gras: Walking in a straight line is but a faint memory. You may take calorie, thirst and temperature penalties due to vomiting. You will randomly pass out. The wolves stages an intervention.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Almost forgot to add, eating charcoal is kind of dangerous. Probably should not be added!

i can see all kinds of people needing a doctor...but none available :P

You can use water and powdered charcoal to brush your teeth though - sure ain't pretty, but the same applies to sewing wolf hides together with dried guts :D

13 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

I'd do it the following way: Three stages of drunkenness

Stage 1: Tipsy. Controls are getting just a bit sluggish, and the edge of your vision becomes a bit blurred - this is to tell you that it's time to stop.

Stage 2: Intoxicated. Walking becomes difficult, no sprinting, penalty to fatigue, vision becomes more blurred. Really, it's time to stop now.

Stage 3: The Long Mardi-Gras: Walking in a straight line is but a faint memory. You may take calorie, thirst and temperature penalties due to vomiting. You will randomly pass out. The wolves stages an intervention.

Good ideas, but you're not sluggish when you are buzzed. 

When I'm buzzed everything is just so slightly brighter. Or so it seems.  That's pretty much it other than you feel really, really, happy and everything seems just fine.  It's by far the best part of drinking alcohol.  Anything further tends to ruin it. Fatigue penalty, if any, should be minimal.

"Drunk" (stage 2) I can still walk straight but vision starts to haze a little on the edges (It's when I get shit faced  I can't walk in a straight line.  That would probably be your stage three. )

I am noticeably slower. The controls should be delayed a half second to one second.    Fatigue penalty should apply at this point for sure. You know you're drunk. 

Stage 3, shit faced, difficult to walk, substantially blurry vision, words are slurred nonsense. Fatigue is maxxed out. 

THIS is where you vomit and/or pass out. Probably both.

I have a food related suggestion for cars and trucks.  I don't have anything against chocolate/granola bars, but I can predict that I will likely find them when I enter a car or truck. Perhaps the Hinterland team could re-work this and add the possibility to find many food items in a car. We're, after all, dealing with a post a disaster, so it would make sense to find a car loaded up with food. When it comes to those food items, they could be things such as: milk, bacon, fruits, vegetables, rice, various snacks, bread, etc.

Just now, Wasteland Watcher said:

Good ideas, but you're not sluggish when you are buzzed. 

When I'm buzzed everything is just so slightly brighter. Or so it seems.  That's pretty much it other than you feel really, really, happy and everything seems just fine.  It's by far the best part of drinking alcohol.  Anything further tends to ruin it. Fatigue penalty, if any, should be minimal.

"Drunk" (stage 2) I can still walk straight but vision starts to haze a little on the edges (It's when I get shit faced  I can't walk in a straight line.  That would probably be your stage three. )

I am noticeably slower. The controls should be delayed a half second to one second.    Fatigue penalty should apply at this point for sure. You know you're drunk. 

Stage 3, shit faced, difficult to walk, substantially blurry vision, words are slurred nonsense. Fatigue is maxxed out. 

THIS is where you vomit and/or pass out. Probably both.

True, guess I worded things wrong there, my bad.

I like the half-second delay and the blurred-nonsense words! "I... I gan uushe shiss..." :D

Ultimately, people don't all react the same way to alcohol - maybe some brave soul over at Hinterland can do some self-experimentation? :D

28 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

True, guess I worded things wrong there, my bad.

I like the half-second delay and the blurred-nonsense words! "I... I gan uushe shiss..." :D

Ultimately, people don't all react the same way to alcohol - maybe some brave soul over at Hinterland can do some self-experimentation? :D

That's a really good suggestion but I hope they pick their "strongest drinker" to do it.

For posterity, of course ;)

1 hour ago, Wastelander said:

Increased risk of sprained ankles and wrists maybe? :D

Highly likely!

oh what an interesting element that would add.

I'd still use alcohol calories  but I guarantee I'd be doing it at night just before bed.

And don't forget, if you overdo it you'll suffer a hangover that will last probably half the next day, if not the whole day. 

As far as the game is concerned I'd say it would be increased fatigue. Not quite as bad as food poisoning but pretty close! 

Drinking alcohol in cold weather can actually be quite deadly - it expands the blood vessels close to your skin, so you feel warm, but actually you lose warmth at a greater rate. I tihnk the most detrimental effect would be the game simply lying about the feels-like temperature.

Bonemarrow, jummie, same for charcoal, some believe it can give you cancer, bonemarrow and charcoal, my grandma also loves them both, she's 86 and goes skiing on a regular basis.
I'd like to see some cereal boxes in the game, to elaborate a little bit more, they could be called 'Bearpaws' or 'Wolfpaws' little chuncks formed in the shape of a paw. Chocolate flavored ofcourse, duh.
Regular and the smaller kid snack sized boxes could be availible, i won't go into details on calories though, because i wouldn't have a clue on where to start to be honest ^^

Also, chips? Perhaps that's a bit too urban.

6 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Cancer, yeah, it's probable - but is cancer going to be what kills us?

Probably, getting hit by a man in a truck who doesn't uses his blinkers when turning can also be considered a cancer, too many people don't use their blinkers, cancer!

35 minutes ago, Hatchet said:

Probably, getting hit by a man in a truck who doesn't uses his blinkers when turning can also be considered a cancer, too many people don't use their blinkers, cancer!

Well, both scenarios are highly unlikely to happen in the game though - cancer because the community would hate it, and drunk drivers because, well, there's not a whole lot of driving in TLD ;)

Just now, knightjoke said:

bring beer or stronger alcohol in the game and molotovs for killing wolfs :D haha fired up

Yeah, 'fired' up ;)

Then again, molotows need different ingredients in different weathers. Doubt we're going to find the perfext mix in TLD, not to mention that liquid fuels don't always behave properly in cold weather.

Disclaimer for my government: I have no idea how to combine slow-burning fuels and high-temperature burning fuels in a glass bottle with a burning rag as the primary incendiary, not at all.

56 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Wastelander said:
Yeah, 'fired' up ;)

Then again, molotows need different ingredients in different weathers. Doubt we're going to find the perfext mix in TLD, not to mention that liquid fuels don't always behave properly in cold weather.

Disclaimer for my government: I have no idea how to combine slow-burning fuels and high-temperature burning fuels in a glass bottle with a burning rag as the primary incendiary, not at all.

Hatchet said:
Wood slices (like wood chips but then slices) and any strong flammable liquid, , coffee cups work great, seal top with a pinapple and a torn piece of soaked clothing that will serve as a wick which will in turn also hold the pinapple snug in place (i didn't use pinapples but i figure it might work, i just used to cut pieces of wood that would fit the cups)
If you do it with gasoline it's almost impossible to extinguish without an extinguisher once it hit something, you can even set your foot on a slice for a few seconds, take it back off and the slice will start flaming again.
YEAH FLAME ON!!!1!1!one1!!!1!

By the way,  Wastelander , I didn't mean to have cancer in the game as a mechanic, that would be cancer! :P

Edit: each time when i post these forums start acting up on me, maybe it will fix on it's own again, cause i can't do anything about, looks fine on my screen untill i hit post...
There, handled with innovation.

7 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

To get staggering drunk it would take me three bottles of wine, or 5 Long Island Ice-T's ( maybe 4),  or 10 beers. 

hmm, three bottles of wine, a glass of single malt Scotch, and three beers, and I wasn't staggeringly drunk.

Too drunk to lip-read a conversation, yeah, but not staggering. But close! :geek:

2 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Are we self-experimenting on this right now? Because if this is true,, at least let me go shopping for a few minutes :D

Not really. That was my experience that first day in St. Louis with my sister and brother in law. Took my Mom there for Mother's Day weekend. Got into town on Friday and started eating and drinking my way through the weekend ...

3 hours ago, Wastelander said:

@Hatchet okay, got ya now :D by the way, when commenting, you can tap out of the quote with the arrow-down button or by clicking

Arrow down doesn't work (for me), only clicking does, but that's obvious no? :P Thanks for pointing it out nonetheless, but i know my way around a forum :)
I was out of the quote window in my previous post by the way.

Archived