new food items!

Tbone555

there has already been a poll related to this, but that thread has been quiet for a while so i thought i'd start up a new one. yall comment and let the (absolutely genius and amazing) developers know what kind of food items youd like to see implemented in the world of the long dark!

me, i want corned beef hash. it's basically a canned mash up of small chunks of potatoes and corned beef, cured with salt for preservation. it's pretty tasty stuff in my opinion, and it goes GREAT with crackers. there's two servings per can, each serving is 380 calories each. so an entire can would equal to 760 calories, which would make it a more compact version of condensed milk.
but theres one added bonus. in real life, this stuff makes me feel EXTREMELY full. must be all the carbs in it from the taters. this would be the perfect food for a survivalist :D

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 for corned beef hash.

Another few things that might last - this is from a German perspective, so maybe someone with knowledge about the area can help me out here:

• Potatos, just lying about in kitchens and basements. Last really long but must be cooked before consumption to avoid food poisoning.
  • Salt, as discussed a million times before :D
  • Garlic - as an ingredient when cooking is introduced, and could possibly lower the probability of some infections.
  • Maple syrup, because come on.
  • Pemmican, so we can make our own, non-poisonous granola bars
  • Lobster
  • Some kind of alcohol
  • Bagged milk
  • Oysters maybe?
  • Nuts, especially walnuts, those things last forever
  • Bone marrow

...now I'm hungry.

love the idea of bone marrow! when i was little i used to watch my elders break apart their scrap bones and suck out the marrow for the nutrients.. it wasnt a sight i enjoyed seeing at the time xD
but nowadays i catch myself doing just that from time to time!

also in agreement with alcohol, maple syrup, oysters for coastal highway and desolation point only, and i think using ingredients such as garlic in our cooking could be useful and interesting! love the suggestions overall :D

Cooked bone marrow is actually pretty tasty. Here in Germany, it's a base for soups and stews, but can also be cooked, sliced and served on toast. It's also available in cans, although I'd much prefer harvesting bone marrow from deer carcasses in order to make it renewable.

A lot more than just the mead is edible when you've got a dead animal in front of you - the brain is very rich in fat and, at least I heard so, I never had the guts to try, can be prepared in quite tasty ways. Tails are also edible, they just needed to be cooked for quite a long while before they can be chewed. Organs can be chopped up and fried - you can actually buy chicken hearts in a lot of supermarkets here. Then there's kidneys, the tongue, the diaphragm, the liver (no bear liver though) and the udder on female mammals.

When advanced cooking goes live, I'd also like to see animal fat - gotta grease that pan somehow. Bears, as they're in the middle of hibernation, would probably be the best source of this. However, industrially produced plant-based fats (margarine and stuff) could probably be found, and they're pretty damn filling by themselves as well (I just buttered two slices of bread and just threw whatever spices I felt like on them, that's the life right there!).

Animal blood (which can obviously only be harvested from a fresh carcass) has been a pretty important food source historically as well - the mongols (or maybe the Huns. I should know this actually, I'm writing a paper on nomadic cultures, dangit) used to mix blood and milk of horses as emergency food. However, that would probably carry a risk of food poisoning. Still, gotta get as many calories out of that bullet/arrow as possible. Fresh blood is difficult, but possible to preserve for at least a short amount of time.

Just now, RighteousFury said:

Should cannibalism be an option? Max is looking pretty tasty, it'd be a shame if the crows didn't share...

Realistically, yes, but the moral implications and the ensuing discussion on video game journalist sites and the according backlash would probably deliver a pretty hefty blow to Hinterland. Also, you need to be REALLY desperate to try this - and you can always shoot and eat a wolf, there's much lower psychological checkpoints this action has to pass. Humans are compassionate animals, despite everything our history says. Humans are, well, humans, they are kin, whereas animals are not. This is also why wartme propaganda aims at dehumanizing enemies, so the psychological inhibitions to killing people are lowered.

5 minutes ago, RighteousFury said:

Should cannibalism be an option? Max is looking pretty tasty, it'd be a shame if the crows didn't share...

I don't think you could manage the emotional stress that would occur. Not to mention that most of the people that try cannibalism for the first time are extremely sick after. But... It could be an option, a gross one, I have to admit. I'd have to agree with Wasterlander for the wolves or bear food. Anyone in their right mind would try to hunt before eating frozen corpse.

Just now, Tbone555 said:

the fallout series always got away with cannibalism :P

but those games are rated M, so that's natural. i don't think cannibalism should be displayed in a rated T game, no matter how much it's sugar coated

Ratings and video game censorship are also always subject to contemporary politics it seems - around a decade ago, we had a surge of tragic school shootings here, which lead both to increased gun control and also a discussion about violent video games, which led to more censorship for a couple years. Fallout 3 was heavily censored in Germany, whereas New Vegas wasn't.

Back on topic, how about different stoves resulted in different kinds of cooked meat? Over an open fire or a fire barrel, meat would be grilled whereas the actual stoves with pots would probably produce stews or roasts.

3 minutes ago, RighteousFury said:

After doing minimal research, I found out that if you cook a crow till it's "well done" it is perfectly safe. If you can nail a crow, you should be able to pick it up whole and clean it for a bounty of feathers and a little meat.

http://www.sufficientself.com/threads/can-you-actually-eat-crow.10671/

Interesting!

...what was the other link though? ;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned canned soups. They'd definitely help warm you up on a cold morning.
Who doesn't love clam chowder or chicken noodle soup?

We need alcohol: a way to instantly "cure" cabin fever ;):coffee::antiseptic:
It should have some negative effect as well. Maybe increase your fatigue bar or something.:bedroll::bedroll::bedroll:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised we haven't found any frozen pizzas in the freezers. Canadians don't like pizza??:o

9 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned canned soups. They'd definitely help warm you up on a cold morning.
Who doesn't love clam chowder or chicken noodle soup?

We need alcohol: a way to instantly "cure" cabin fever ;):coffee::antiseptic:
It should have some negative effect as well. Maybe increase your fatigue bar or something.:bedroll::bedroll::bedroll:

To be honest, I'm a little surprised we haven't found any frozen pizzas in the freezers. Canadians don't like pizza??:o

Well, we have tomato soup already, but yeah, a little variety could spice things up a little.

Definitely for alcohol increasing fatigue! Maybe you also get some kind of 'intoxicated'-affliction if you drink too much which makes your control all wonky.

I'm not sure how easy pizza is to find in such a remote location.

7 hours ago, RighteousFury said:

It said "sexual benefits of eating crow" by national geographic of all things to write that article.

Well, that sounds....interesting, to be sure. I'm gonna look that up :D

37 minutes ago, Wastelander said:

Well, we have tomato soup already, but yeah, a little variety could spice things up a little.

Definitely for alcohol increasing fatigue! Maybe you also get some kind of 'intoxicated'-affliction if you drink too much which makes your control all wonky.

I'm not sure how easy pizza is to find in such a remote location.

Well, that sounds....interesting, to be sure. I'm gonna look that up :D

Drinking too much alcohol affecting our controls is a great idea!

By the way, alcohol is generally very high calorie so ...that's helpful in a survival situation   ;)

32 minutes ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

Drinking too much alcohol affecting our controls is a great idea!

By the way, alcohol is generally very high calorie so ...that's helpful in a survival situation   ;)

the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games had a great drunkenness-mechanic where your character stumbled from side to side, like, you know, a drunken person :D

this is the extreme version after 30 bottles of vodka, which, in real life would most likely result in an early death :D

I did some research in between lectures today and came up with a few more things:

• Powdered eggs. We (probably) don't have these in Germany, but considering I went through a boatload of prepper-websites, the prepper caches could be a good spawn location for those.
  • Vitamin pills - not a 'food'-item per-se, but might give a low condition boost (5%, at most) without any detrimental effects.
  • Hard cheese - lasts long, tastes well and let's face it, cheese makes everything better (except those devilish granola bars).
  • Bacon. I read it can be canned. Why would we add another canned food? Because bacon.
  • Hard candy - gives you an energy boost and tastes Well. The farm house in PV has a children's room, there's bound to be some tasty treats there.

These items aren't food items (unless you're a crocodile or a goat), but could help with food preservation and preparation:

• Aluminium foil. Wrap around freshly cooked meat to keep it warm and isolate it from its environment. Can also be used to cook potatos and other veggies directly in a fire.
  • Plastic food containers, such as Tupperware or Rubber Maid. They can be sealed pretty well, and, while adding weight to your food, make it last a tad longer.
  • Charcoal, from burned out campfires. Worse than coal, but better than nothing, plus it's free.
  • Lemon juice. Adds some spice to your fish (something for the advanced cooking and morale systems ahead!) and can make your food last a bit longer because of it's antibacterial qualities.

@Wastelander

I like your ideas, they're all really cool, detailed, and interesting! 

Granola bars and cheese actually would not be so bad. Kind of like dried fruits and cheese, which would pair well with wine ;)

Just not nearly as good :P

I think it is really hard to see drunkenness  properly simulated in games.

Playing a lot of games I have not seen any do a good job of simulating being buzzed. 

They all pretty much simulate you being shit-faced.

Usually after a single bottle beer or some unrealistic amount.

To get staggering drunk it would take me three bottles of wine, or 5 Long Island Ice-T's ( maybe 4),  or 10 beers. 

Archived