HOTFIX: The Long Dark Sandbox Hotfixed to v.338 -- Crash, Lighting, and Gameplay Fixes

1 hour ago, wilkinscw said:

I've got to say that I'm disappointed, not by the parasite thing, but by the lighting, I'm all for being able to see better indoors (especially in the daytime), but the way the "godrays" or light shafts come in the windows looks absolutely horrid. Before the Tireless Menace update, light shafts were soft, diffuse, and realistic looking. Now, they look like square-shaped laser beams coming through the windows. Look at this pic and tell me (honestly) which looks better. Both shots are the windows over the catwalk in Carter Hydro Dam, on a clear day, mid-afternoon.

BeforeAfter.jpg.8addd159f937ded509b40151c6bee759.jpg

Overall I love the graphic overhaul but I do agree with you 100% about the sunbeams coming through the windows.

Absolutely the old ones look better! 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really worried, my Xbox One just updated the game and I was really happy to see the improvements. And I found my One month game wasn't opening even with it appearing in the saved games, I decided to restart the game and the horrible surprise I have is that the game dissapeared and I can swear I never pressed X (erease game)

I really want to recover that game, Please help!

54 minutes ago, wilkinscw said:

I've got to say that I'm disappointed, not by the parasite thing, but by the lighting, I'm all for being able to see better indoors (especially in the daytime), but the way the "godrays" or light shafts come in the windows looks absolutely horrid. Before the Tireless Menace update, light shafts were soft, diffuse, and realistic looking. Now, they look like square-shaped laser beams coming through the windows. Look at this pic and tell me (honestly) which looks better. Both shots are the windows over the catwalk in Carter Hydro Dam, on a clear day, mid-afternoon.

BeforeAfter.jpg.8addd159f937ded509b40151c6bee759.jpg

Yeah, it's definitely different, I too prefer the softer look.  On the bright side, no pun intended, those gamers with lower res video cards can at least change up the brightness which will probably improve their game play experience.  

I'm welcoming that fatigue update but it seems a bit overdone to me. I'm playing a female character pilgrim mode in timberwolf mountains atm, and she's going from fully rested to to fully exhausted in only 5 hours of normal activity now. Is that intended?

7 minutes ago, Bobbin said:

I'm welcoming that fatigue update but it seems a bit overdone to me. I'm playing a female character pilgrim mode in timberwolf mountains atm, and she's going from fully rested to to fully exhausted in only 5 hours of normal activity now. Is that intended?

FYI, 10 minutes sprinting is equal to 1 hour of walking.  And if you are climbing ropes (TWM afterall) that's a huge chunk of fatigue right there.  

So, if you are out running and climbing, yeah, its normal to get tried fast.  

If you are sitting in your cabin and getting that tired, you just might have an affliction.  Otherwise its going to take ~24 hours to deplete that bar.

Again!

The game just ereased another game that I saved yesterday, that's happened twice to me since the game updated on Xbox One, It's really annoying to lost all your progress. So, I'm not playing TLD until Hinterland fix this. Please someone in the dev team pay attention on this BIG issue. 

9 minutes ago, Ubermensch said:

Again!

The game just ereased another game that I saved yesterday, that's happened twice to me since the game updated on Xbox One, It's really annoying to lost all your progress. So, I'm not playing TLD until Hinterland fix this. Please someone in the dev team pay attention on this BIG issue. 

Sorry you're bumping up against this issue, Ubermensch. In your thread in the Xbox sub forum, I suggested a power cycle as an initial step, the link to those instructions is here: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/power-cycle-console

Can't comment on cabin fever and parasites as have never experienced either  - but changes to lighting and fatigue sound good to me!  Would love to see the same done for temperature in pilgrim too in the future. :)              

42 minutes ago, beechel said:

Can't comment on cabin fever and parasites as have never experienced either  - but changes to lighting and fatigue sound good to me!  Would love to see the same done for temperature in pilgrim too in the future. :)              

i'm proud to play pligrim. what do you mean by temperature?

On May 25, 2016 at 4:24 PM, Raphael van Lierop said:

You certainly have that option (in most cases; there are still some interiors that are understandably dark at any time of day, like the Lower Dam). If you prioritize exploring interiors around the middle part of your day, you should be able to explore most places without needing additional light. Dawn and Dusk interior exploration will probably still need some extra light, though.

This update is amazing Raph.  Thank you and your entire team for being who you are.  Never lose the drive I see you all have.  Im 35 and have been playing games since the old Nes mainly and lately everything in the genre seems so money focused and to be the most important to them, but it's clearly different at hinterland and I among many others im sure greatly appreciate the way you guys work!

On 27.5.2016 at 8:04 PM, selfless said:

FYI, 10 minutes sprinting is equal to 1 hour of walking.  And if you are climbing ropes (TWM afterall) that's a huge chunk of fatigue right there.  

So, if you are out running and climbing, yeah, its normal to get tried fast.  

If you are sitting in your cabin and getting that tired, you just might have an affliction.  Otherwise its going to take ~24 hours to deplete that bar.

I'm spending my time walking and gathering (chopping wood, searching containers, and the like). I tried a day of only walking and ended up with about 8 hours until exhaustion. I'm mostly surpised because I expected "a full day of activity" would mean 12 or more hours of similar occupations. If I had to do my character's chores, I'd likely tire even more quickly ^^ I dont know the effects of temperature, satiation or gender on fatigue, but my character is perfectly healthy.

omg the light in the houses are soooooooo great thx a lot :P

no parasite in "normal" mode make the game really easy ^^ a bear and youhou i got food for 1 week :) 

i ll start a next game in stalker ( i like to be starve when my hunting day is not good XD) to test it

ho and is there any change with sewing kit ? 5 % eachtime you repair...it seems it last longer before 

I just managed to put a couple of hours into this new update. Overall, a pretty good one. 

My two cents besides the parasite topic are just related to fine-tuning. I preferred the softer light beams we had before, hopefullly there is a gap in between these two looks :). Also, after three full days of gamepley, I think the fatigue calculation is now a bit too much... but I'm not sure if it was due to the conditions... One day I tried to get from the Ravine cave (the upper one) to the forestry lookout. It was a bit windy when I was walking, but I got exhausted arround 5 hours from nighthfall. I did just a bit of running to hunt a wounded deer, nothing too demanding. Had to take a 4 hour nap at the logging camp ^^

18 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I wonder if other PC users have been experiencing frequent lockups/crashes since v.339 released?

Since v.339 I had trouble getting into the Dam in Mystery Lake. Game crashed every time I tried to enter (3 times), ended up sleeping in my bedroll for 1 hour just outside the door to the Dam just to save my game in case the game crashed again when trying to enter. On the 4th try I was able to get in. Has not happened since, weird.

19 hours ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I wonder if other PC users have been experiencing frequent lockups/crashes since v.339 released?

I had something funky happen last night when I tried to enter a cabin.  It never loaded into the cabin but came off of the loading screen as if I had.  I was just stuck in darkness.  I exited the game and reloaded it and it did it again.  Frightened, I exited the game once more, reloaded it once more, and everything worked ok.  It was weird, though.

I have to say that I simply LOVE the lighting updates.  This is the first (and only) successful game I've had, long-term.  I'm on day 90 or so on Voyageur.  I once made it around 53 days on Pilgrim before I foolishly tried to kill a bear without knowing the mechanics (everything else would just run from me back then.)

I had read a lot before I started playing (and long before I started visiting these forums) and there were lots of people who talked about the Camp Office being the best home base in Mystery Lake.  The one thing I didn't like about it most when compared to Trapper's Homestead (where I set up for my 53-day game as well as this one) was the darkness and dreariness of it.  I felt like I was stumbling around in the dark all the time, even in the middle of the day.  Trapper's Homestead was bright and warm.  Inviting, almost.  So I made it my Home Sweet Home and I've been there ever since.

Well, in a session I just ended playing moments ago, I had decided to go on a wolf hunt and wandered through a few places on the map I often expect to see one, like Deadfall and near the Tunnel Collapse.  I also would sometimes see one around the Camp Office and out on the lake, as well.  Well, I didn't see any wolves but I did decide to head into the Camp Office to see if I could find any items I hadn't looted before (since the last patch, I've found items spawned in places I had definitely already looted out once before.  Incidentally, I found a whetstone in there.)  Camp Office looks WONDERFUL in the light!  I'm in no rush to move from my exceptionall well-stocked Home Sweet Home, but, boy, oh, boy, I could totally understand the appeal now.  No longer dark.  No longer dreary.  It would have made a fine home base.  Love, love, love the changes.

On 5/28/2016 at 2:34 PM, nicko said:

i'm proud to play pligrim. what do you mean by temperature?

Well, in voyager (pre hotfix) the main differences to pilgrim (other than the wildlife tries to kill/eat you) were as follows - 

1. you need to consume a lot more calories per day in Voyager
  2. You freeze/get cold a lot faster in Voyager (thats what I mean about temperature)
  3. you fatigue a lot faster in Voyager

I love playing both Pilgrim and Voyager but personally would like a Pilgrim to still present the challenges of freezing, fatigue and food demand but without the predators viewing you as food

Archived