Our own mortality

Wastelander

This is from quite a while ago, so details can be a bit fuzzy sometimes. However, this doesn't change the morale of the story....

I was going strong. I had a pile of everything - wood, food, crafting materials, tools, rifle rounds, you name it, I had it. I was a made man in the apocalypse. Had there been others to barter with, I could've been called rich. I enjoyed my days in Mystery Lake. I may have gotten a little insane, considering the fact I regularly named corpses around the map - Carl in the Camp Office was my best buddy.

I felt invincible.

I was on a scavenging run, because my medicine supplies were, well, not low, but not up to my perfectionism either. I only took the bare necessities with me - knife, clothes, prybar, food and drink for two days. I spotted a wolf, and it spotted me. 'I can do this' I thought to myself.

For some reason or another, I couldn't.

This made me think. Think about our own mortality. We take things for granted nowadays, not facing the cold embrace of death every breathing second.

I'll just let that stand.

20 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

be that as it may, you went down defending our place on the food chain! ;)

"Be that as it may, you went down defending the glorious motherland!" I guess the soviet soldiers weren't relieved by this...

But I appreciate the thought, you know. :)

Just now, Tbone555 said:

well i dunno about anyone else, but im not about to let some mangy mutt get the best of me! :crosseye:

I remember the first time I brandished a torch against a wolf and heard good ol' Will shout "You wanna start this?". Such a powerful moment, and what you said basically summed it up. I ain't no piece of dog food. No, you, dog, are MY food!

Archived