My first deer with a bow.

Greenglades

Day 71, stalker mode, Coastal Highway lake, it finally got warm enough to make some arrows at the work bench outside of the fishing village. Equipped with 7 arrows, I spy a deer on the lake. I'll try two shots because I need the arrows. The deer runs off and I go to collect my arrows. I get one arrow and while looking for the other I see a big blood splatter and a trail of blood. Oh my, I hit the deer. I start tracking the blood drops and my wife spies the deer in the distance , One arrow slows him the next drops him. My first deer kill with a bow. I go to collect my harvest and retrieve my arrows when ...crack.... weak ice. Are you kidding, me? Nooooo. I try to approach from every possible direction, but there is no way to get this deer. I am more upset with losing the arrows than retrieving the meat and hide, although I am desperate to repair my pants and boots.

The agony and the ecstasy.....

That made it clear for me: TLD is essentially high school. It's cold, unforgiving and will eat you when you allow yourself but a moment of negligence. That deer represents THAT girl/guy. You know, that one. Giving you a lot of signals and then, when you're finally trying to go in 100%, he/she's like "nope".

The Long Dark is a metaphor for high school. I knew it.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:46 AM, Greenglades said:

Day 71, stalker mode, Coastal Highway lake, it finally got warm enough to make some arrows at the work bench outside of the fishing village. Equipped with 7 arrows, I spy a deer on the lake. I'll try two shots because I need the arrows. The deer runs off and I go to collect my arrows. I get one arrow and while looking for the other I see a big blood splatter and a trail of blood. Oh my, I hit the deer. I start tracking the blood drops and my wife spies the deer in the distance , One arrow slows him the next drops him. My first deer kill with a bow. I go to collect my harvest and retrieve my arrows when ...crack.... weak ice. Are you kidding, me? Nooooo. I try to approach from every possible direction, but there is no way to get this deer. I am more upset with losing the arrows than retrieving the meat and hide, although I am desperate to repair my pants and boots.

So close! Sometimes these moments don't turn out the way we expect them to. But now you have the knowledge that you can do it. I'm sure you'll bag another one soon. :winky:

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On May 16, 2016 at 10:46 AM, Greenglades said:

I go to collect my harvest and retrieve my arrows when ...crack.... weak ice. Are you kidding, me? Nooooo. I try to approach from every possible direction, but there is no way to get this deer. I am more upset with losing the arrows than retrieving the meat and hide, although I am desperate to repair my pants and boots.

Well think of it this way - the deer should have fallen through the weak ice and been lost anyway along with your arrow. Which brings me back to one of my original issues - why do deer, rabbits and wolves go out on the ice? Especially deer and rabbits. There's no food for them there so they wouldn't go there. Maybe a wolf might but it would be rare. They would hunt in areas where the food is. That's always been an immersion breaker for me.

Archived