Where to find climbing rope in the ravine?

TWM

So I went to the ravine to check out the new area below, and I can find the anchorpoint just fine, but I can't find a piece of climbing gear anywhere. Now it may be that there isn't any on the map, in which case I'll have to go back to Mystery Lake and take the rope from there, but my guess is I'm just looking over it.

Of course I could go all Sherlock Holmes and inspect every nook and cranny (including the obvious ones I've already inspected), but perhaps someone can point me in the right direction.

Saves me a trip back to the Outlook.

* Disclaimer: I have not played on Mystery Lake since the new update! *

I've been quite curious about the ravine myself. I've been avoiding a lot of the spoiler threads about exploring it (there are a few). At the moment, the only guaranteed location I know of to find a climbing rope is the Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mountain. There may be a closer location but I do not know about it.

13 minutes ago, Raf109 said:

Wait, do you want to cross the ravine? why are you searching for a climbing rope there?

Well, people went on and on how great it would be if they could climb down the ravine (you know, at the site where the train collapsed into it). Before, if you attempted to, all you got was instant death.

So Hinterland delivered. There's an anchorpoint now, where one may attach a rope, and you can climb down. There's a couple of bodies down there, and I've spotted a deer cadaver, and a cave. Thing is, I kind of expected the rope to be somewhere on the map, but I haven't located it yet.

I know at least of one person who managed to climb down (only to find he entered into a slow trap of death because he didn't bring his bedroll...). So at least 1 player went down there.

At the moment, the only guaranteed location I know of to find a climbing rope is the Mountaineer's Hut on Timberwolf Mountain.

In my runs so far, I've found ropes in both of the Lookouts + an anchorpoint in the vicinity.

So the Lookout on Mystery Lake now has a 'backdoor', and the abandoned Lookout on Coastal Highway now has a rope where people used to shimmy down.

I have seen a rope already attached in the ML Ravine area. If it is there it is visible from the Rail side of the Ravine that you cross with the big downed tree. You turn to the right 135 degrees and you can see it on the opposite cliff if it is there. If there is no rope there, you can go to the far end of Mystery Lake. By the 3 Lake Cabins is a climbable rope leading to a new area as of the last update. You can recover this rope. If you wander around you will find several places from up there you can decend with the rope. You will however no longer be able to access this area ever again since the only way to it is via the rope. 

I may be wrong on that last point. At one time I was able to climb into this region using a pathway up the steep sides of the path leading to Dave's Quiet Clearing. This was before the last update. The latest topography may have made this impossible. Best of luck finding all of this stuff. 

9 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I found a rope *in* the Ravine, in the second cave from ML.  That's the one on the N side where the track splits to form a siding.

I checked that cave again, no rope. Apparently, it's not a guarantee.

So I decided to trek forward to CH, there's a rope above Quonset which leads to a sapling grove that I only need to visit once (although in theory it might make for a good staging ground to shoot the bear).

15 minutes ago, TWM said:

I checked that cave again, no rope. Apparently, it's not a guarantee.

So I decided to trek forward to CH, there's a rope above Quonset which leads to a sapling grove that I only need to visit once (although in theory it might make for a good staging ground to shoot the bear).

Sorry no Ravine rope for you.  I've seen it in that cave twice, so I just checked on a different save and no rope.  You're right, not a guarantee.

Another "not guaranteed" rope in CH: the fishing hut between Misanthrope's and the townsite pier.

There are a few ropes in and around ML now. I think the ones that are already hanging are guaranteed. There are 2 or 3 around the lake which are also not necessary to reach the areas they access (so if you take it you can still come back and replace it if you wanted). 

So I checked every fishing hut at CH: nothing there.

But I did manage to find a rope beneath the crafting table at the fisherman's huts, so I'll be using that I guess.

1 hour ago, lupineways said:

I found a rope in the red train car that you can enter on the ML side of the Ravine. Lucky me, I didn\' have to lug it very far at all. Just a short walk :)

I never thought to look there -- good find!

• 3 months later...

Archived