wolf spawn changes of tireless menace

Gleudal

I didnt re-discover all maps after the "Tireless Menace"- update, but I realised, that behind the Pleasant Valley Farmstead are now 4 wolfes at the same time, where before none ever was. I feel that this is way too much. It would be ok, when they would move as a wolfpack, but they dont, its just a no-go area, where I used to place my rabbit traps before.

I also dont like when there are too many wolves on frozen sees. Why would they go there? - There is no food, no shelter, no nothing.

Screenshot (40).jpg

You may try to return to the area a few days later and see if they're gone. :normal:

While it's true that wolves spawn in greater numbers per area now (most likely the precursor state of "real" pack behavior which is mentioned on the roadmap), they also change their territory after a certain amount of time. So they're even a little bit easier to avoid overall now in my opinion.

One just needs to get away from the idea that every location is constantly accessible. Just place your rabbit traps somewhere else for the time being and monitor the wolves a bit, they usually move on after one or two weeks and you should be able to reach your old snaring grounds again afterwards.:winky:

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

You may try to return to the area a few days later and see if they're gone. :normal:

To get this screenshoot, I started a new sandbox and went to the farmstead. When I arrived it was one wolf, then I slept for 1 hour, 3 wolfes, 1h sleep, 3 wolves, then this four. The Two Games in Challange mode when I visited Farmstead when travelling by, both time were 4 wolfes there - maybe I was just unlucky or there are always four wolfes at the start of each game and they change places later.

2 hours ago, Scyzara said:

One just needs to get away from the idea that every location is constantly accessible. Just place your rabbit traps somewhere else for the time being and monitor the wolves a bit, they usually move on after one or two weeks and you should be able to reach your old snaring grounds again afterwards.

Thats great, than I am fine :winky:

7 hours ago, Scyzara said:

While it's true that wolves spawn in greater numbers per area now (most likely the precursor state of "real" pack behavior which is mentioned on the roadmap), they also change their territory after a certain amount of time. So they're even a little bit easier to avoid overall now in my opinion.

Real packs dont operate in this way.

As funny as it may sound, old system were more accurate. Generally singular wolves scout area and then lead/call pack to the spot where food is. Packs moving around without any clear purpose is a nonsense(not energy-efficient). Packs tend to maintain territory that can span for hundreds km, where they move around to stay close to prey. Since there is no deer herds, then there is really no point for wolves to have gatherings in the middle of nowhere.

16 minutes ago, Dirmagnos said:

Real packs dont operate in this way.

As funny as it may sound, old system were more accurate. Generally singular wolves scout area and then lead/call pack to the spot where food is. Packs moving around without any clear purpose is a nonsense(not energy-efficient). Packs tend to maintain territory that can span for hundreds km, where they move around to stay close to prey. Since there is no deer herds, then there is really no point for wolves to have gatherings in the middle of nowhere.

That may be, but I still think it's better now than it was.

Before, they tended to be quite spread out and fairly static in their movement range. That lead to wolf confrontations becoming pretty much inevitable if you wanted to go anywhere; but it also meant that you could deal with them as individuals pretty easily.

Now that they're more grouped up, there is more space in between to move around in, while also having the effect that you generally don't want to go anywhere near them if you see them because 3 or 4 wolves are much more dangerous to you in an encounter than individuals or pairs.

Even if the wolf behaviour is less realistic, I think the resulting player behaviour is more realistic (at least my behaviour is, anyway): trying to avoid them more, with encounters being both less common and more dangerous.

6 minutes ago, Pillock said:

That may be, but I still think it's better now than it was.

Id prefer to have less wolves, but them to be more dangerous.

Im not really a fan of new mechanic, where after 2 second interaction it managed to bit me like everywhere(both arms and left leg) and then i had to pour antiseptic all over me(considering amount of it used), since now i have to treat every bite separately.

Plus they lack pack mentality, separating individuals from that pack and then take it 1on1 is extremely easy, while rest just hang around not that far away.

While living in PV for a while, I've monitored the wolves around the farmstead a bit. They generally have two main spawn areas, one is west, the other one south of the farm building. In my case (Stalker mode), the group usually consisted of 6 wolves which were either split up between the two areas (rather seldom) or were all inhabiting the same area (usually the case).

I took two screenshots of the western spawn area, the first (showing six wolves) on day 94, the second on day 106 without any wolves. All six wolves had moved to the southern spawn area on day 106.:normal:

day 94.jpg

day 106.jpg

Archived