Supply runs

Raf109

What do you mean by "supply runs"? If you're talking about looting individual maps before moving to the next one I would take the minimum supplies and always plan to be back to my home base by night fall. In case the weather worsens leaving some food and water in locations between your base camp and next loot area is always a good idea so that if you're stranded and lost you can find shelter and survive until the next morning. Bringing a gun or bow are optional and will save a lot of weight unless you plan to hunt. All you really need are some flares, a knife, warm clothing, coffee, first aid and an emergency stim. That gives you a way to deter animals, fight wolves and have a way to get yourself out of a tricky situation if you mess up.

5 hours ago, cekivi said:

What do you mean by "supply runs"? If you're talking about looting individual maps before moving to the next one I would take the minimum supplies and always plan to be back to my home base by night fall. In case the weather worsens leaving some food and water in locations between your base camp and next loot area is always a good idea so that if you're stranded and lost you can find shelter and survive until the next morning. Bringing a gun or bow are optional and will save a lot of weight unless you plan to hunt. All you really need are some flares, a knife, warm clothing, coffee, first aid and an emergency stim. That gives you a way to deter animals, fight wolves and have a way to get yourself out of a tricky situation if you mess up.

I'd add a bedroll to your list if you are traveling far from a bed.  I personally like to also carry matches, a few bullets and two fishing tackle -- very little weight for a lot of flexibility.

17 hours ago, cekivi said:

What do you mean by "supply runs"? If you're talking about looting individual maps before moving to the next one I would take the minimum supplies and always plan to be back to my home base by night fall.

Yeah, that's what I meant by saying "supply runs", not really entire maps, but some general areas.

11 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I'd add a bedroll to your list if you are traveling far from a bed.  I personally like to also carry matches, a few bullets and two fishing tackle -- very little weight for a lot of flexibility.

Agree, I learned that after going for a run or two. You never know when you will encounter a wolf and be forced to run away, increasing your fatigue doing so.

Well @cekivi is right that a stim will probably let you sprint to a bed in most zones--assuming you know the way and aren't lost in a the dark or a blizzard.  But that's an option I prefer to save for really dire circumstances.  YMMV, some folks find a lot of stims in their games (not my luck so far :D).

18 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

Totally forgot about matches! They're definitely essential as is carrying one or two tinder plugs! :)

The utility of a bedroll really depends on the map. Mystery Lake and the Coastal Highway normally have enough shelters with beds that you won't need it provided you leave 2-3 hours to get back to your base camp after foraging. For Timberwolf Mountain, Pleasant and Desolation point where you may get stuck in an area with no beds it is more critical to have.

Here's a few beginners tips for keeping the weight down when moving from one map to another:

1. Clothing: If you are lucky enough to have sewing gear or a fishing hook, repair your clothing (and bedroll) for as much warmth as possible. Harvest all unneeded "duplicate clothing" into cloth and / or leather. Cloth is much lighter to carry than clothing. Harvested leather is much lighter than carrying an extra set of boots or shoes. Don't forget to harvest curtains for cloth as well.

2. If you plan on doing a lot of fishing at your new location .... consider crafting scrap metal into hooks to save weight.

3. Do your clothing repairs and harvesting in the early morning when it's the coldest.

4. Start your move with about 8 hours of daylight left when it's warmer if you don't have a lot of warm clothes.

5. ALWAYS carry a bedroll, no matter what!!!

6. Eat the heaviest foods first (peanut butter, canned goods, fish) and save the light foods for traveling (crackers, energy bars)

7. Don't start your move on an empty stomach... Eating and drinking til full can save you up to three pounds of weight to carry.

8. If you have saplings, craft them down to arrow shafts and bows to save weight if you have a craft table.

9. Never pass up cattails! (tinder and food)

Good Luck!

4 hours ago, cowboymrh said:

Here's a few beginners tips for keeping the weight down when moving from one map to another:

1. Clothing: If you are lucky enough to have sewing gear or a fishing hook, repair your clothing (and bedroll) for as much warmth as possible. Harvest all unneeded "duplicate clothing" into cloth and / or leather. Cloth is much lighter to carry than clothing. Harvested leather us much lighter than carrying an extra set of boots or shoes. Don't forget to harvest curtains for cloth as well.

2. If you plan on doing a lot of fishing at your new location .... consider harvesting scrap metal into hooks to save weight.

3. Do your clothing repairs and harvesting in the early morning when it's the coldest.

4. Start your move with about 8 hours of daylight left when it's warmer if you don't have a lot of warm clothes.

5. ALWAYS carry a bedroll, no matter what!!!

6. Eat the heaviest foods first (peanut butter, canned goods, fish) and save the light foods for traveling (crackers, energy bars)

7. Don't start your move on an empty stomach... Eating and drinking til full can save you up to three pounds of weight to carry.

8. If you have saplings, craft them down to arrow shafts and bows to save weight if you have a craft table.

9. Never pass up cattails! (tinder and food)

Good Luck!

All great advice except I'd recommend one change to point #1: save one set of mid to high quality clothes. 

If you fall off an edge or get attacked by a wolf - or worse - a bear than your clothes can be ruined beyond the point to repair. All the cloth in the world can't repair ruined clothes. An emergency back up set gives you somewhere to fall back to if things go horribly, horribly wrong. Having a backup plan may ultimately mean the difference between life and death when scavenging or moving between zones.

Also, always always always have Plan B (and, if possible C) - the weather can and will mess with your plans at some point, so wherever I go that takes me a long time to get to, I plan my route so I have multiple shelters on my way, so I can escape from sudden weather changes and take shelter from suddenly appearing bears. Granted. weather can be pretty much forecasted by the player right now, but I'll readily admit that I'm not really good at doing so.

Pleasant Valley is one of the hardest maps to start in because of the distance between places and the almost constant windchills. Remember that when out wood gathering you can make piles at points along your route to wherever you are going. Also leave some water staged here too. It doesn't feeze ;) yet... :) and then you dont have to carry it multiple times, also use tinder bundles to mark your route if you are unsure, there are always more of thse than you need, also the fire brands are working well on for that at the moment too. Even a few markers can go a long way to help you figure out where you are. You can also make them into arrow shapes to point the way to or from resources. PV is one of the most difficult maps to get lost on in a blizzard. Always better to have a route home to follow should you have to pack it in. 

Lots of solid advice posted so far. I also tend to bring 2 cedar logs and 1-2 liters of water. Personal preference, but that's 2 hours of fire at the lightest weight per burn minute (aside from coal but that also has burn time requirements before it can be used) that you always have at the ready. You may be prevented from reaching your destination so it never hurts to be ready for a fire at any time.

I echo @cekivi - keep a few painkillers and antibiotics as well some sort of bandages & disinfectant. It is always best to be able to patch up right away.

I tend to navigate by landmarks. ML makes this especially easy, Coastal Highway is also pretty easy to navigate due to the road(s). PV is tricky, I'll admit that, and I might use my spent flares when I go there next. I have to admit, I haven't visited TWM yet.

Another tip to travel light: Salt crackers have the highest calorie density if I recall correctly, and they only weigh 0.1kg (at 600 calories!). Personally, when I go scavenging, I try not to bring any food that weighs more than 0.3kg a piece, and usually only bring 1kg of food. If if bring sodas, I balance my water supply so that I have two liters of fluid with me. I also usually don't bring any tinder or firewood, because both of these can be readily found in a lot of places, I do bring my matches though.

Salty crackers are the best but also dehydrate you so you need to carry more water.

The reason for leaving markers is simple: in a blizzard or fog you cannot see the landmarks. I've been saved a few times by getting lost in a blizzard, stumbling along my trapping line and using that to point me towards shelter ^_^

My advise gear wise: always have some wood with you, a hatchet, matches and some sort of accelerant plus bedroll, 2-3l of water, some cups of coffee and tea and 1-2000kcals of food, depending on how far you go.

As for orientation: learn the edges of your route in clear weather, in my experience if you follow the base of a mountain or cliff, the shore, river, railtrack or a road you will sooner or later find a cave, house or some other form of shelter. When visibility gets worse I immediately turn my character towards the closest "edge" and just walk straight without touching the mouse until I get there. Then it's all about knowing if left or right will get you closer to safety.

Once you familiarize yourself with the environment you can use blizzards to travel to wolf infested territories and pick up everthing you didn't dare to get before ;)

Archived