Another Light Source

Lukemister11

I think most of the people who scroll the Hinterland forum on a regular basis would agree that The Long Dark is a truly awesome game, very polished and like me is looking forward towards to the storyline released later this year, but I do believe there is a light source that should be added, a light source that:

• Is rare
  • Has long durability
  • Has instant off on toggle (For example when searching dark houses and you need to look in a dark spot it gets quite annoying to toggle on off a torch/lamp.
  • Has a focused beam (to look at things at long distance) for example down a long corridor or outside at night.

This leads me to my suggestion:

torch-flashlight.jpg

A Torch, yes a torch, this could either be the typical torch used in movies such as Night At The Museum or a smaller  more domestic one, it would be:

• Rare
  • Require 2 batteries to work (these could be incorporated into other items at a later date) and found with the torch or at other locations
  • Have long life
  • A focused, strong beam for looting dark houses, walking around outside at night or looking down long distances (The Dam in Mystery Lake for Example) yet is small and requires the player to look around to see illuminated items
  • Would have instant off on toggle.

Thank you for reading, if you have any other ideas, suggestions or questions don't hesitate to share them below:)

On 29.4.2016 at 9:26 PM, Lukemister11 said:

Batteries and a torch could survive, if they were underground (In a dam/mine/cave), but point taken

They do not have to be underground to survive, if the current is not running on electrical device in other words it is turned off it won't get damaged is as simple as that.

19 hours ago, vancopower said:

They do not have to be underground to survive, if the current is not running on electrical device in other words it is turned off it won't get damaged is as simple as that.

Again with that nonsense.

On 29. 4. 2016 at 9:26 PM, Lukemister11 said:

Batteries and a torch could survive, if they were underground (In a dam/mine/cave), but point taken

I dont think so for something like this it is very hard to shelter youreslf big problem are cables in the walls(so dam would surely not work) because the event most likely works like solar flare or something like that. which induces electricity in even the simples of circuits and they dont even need to be powered for example light bulbs exposed to this typ of event light up and can sometimes even burn.

Torch would have to be inside a bunker undergroung preferably in faradai cage (or just in a metal box suspended in the air).Mabye then we can talk abot the light bulb working.

Hey All,

Making the point about realism is great (and I agree) but please try to limit discussion to the merits of including a flashlight in the game. As we all know, there are already torches :silly:

I would also like to point out that the nature of the aurora is still unknown and, since this is a game, artistic licence is also possible.

I personally wouldn't want to include flashlights since the general theme of the game is the failure of technology and what happens in the wintery aftermath. Having such an obvious piece of technology would be eroding that theme. More light sources would be nice but I'd prefer candles.

47 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Hey All,

Making the point about realism is great (and I agree) but please try to limit discussion to the merits of including a flashlight in the game. As we all know, there are already torches :silly:

I would also like to point out that the nature of the aurora is still unknown and, since this is a game, artistic licence is also possible.

I personally wouldn't want to include flashlights since the general theme of the game is the failure of technology and what happens in the wintery aftermath. Having such an obvious piece of technology would be eroding that theme. More light sources would be nice but I'd prefer candles.

Flashlights are not modern technology, thus they are more resistant to EMPs and magnetic interference, they don't have CPU or transistor for that matter all they have is wires and light bulb which by itself is nothing that can be burned up by EMP.  Complicated devices however are in fact more fragile the newer the technology is the less resistant is to emp. So the world will be gone that's not issue here however flashlights and other low tech will survive. PC's Tv's not so much however. The theme will stay as it is.  Nothing will change, now is it game-wise to add another light-source tool it is another question. 

9 hours ago, FatheriatorCZ said:

I dont think so for something like this it is very hard to shelter youreslf big problem are cables in the walls(so dam would surely not work) because the event most likely works like solar flare or something like that. which induces electricity in even the simples of circuits and they dont even need to be powered for example light bulbs exposed to this typ of event light up and can sometimes even burn.

Torch would have to be inside a bunker undergroung preferably in faradai cage (or just in a metal box suspended in the air).Mabye then we can talk abot the light bulb working.

No the light bulb will only receive power if it is in closed circuit. That much I know, in high school my physics professor did an experiment  in which he powered a light bulb through magnetic field but only at calculated distance and under a certain angle, he placed 2 rods one facing the middle of the other thus powering the bulb wireless. However he explained in order for that to happen the receiving end must be in the same "resonance" (I believe that was the word) he used with the magnetic field and in order for that to happen certain conditions should be met. And as he talked he was rotating the electrical rod with the bulb and the light went on and off. So unless the light bulbs ware connected to something similar to power them up they would be safe I think.

2 hours ago, vancopower said:

Flashlights are not modern technology, thus they are more resistant to EMPs and magnetic interference, they don't have CPU or transistor for that matter all they have is wires and light bulb which by itself is nothing that can be burned up by EMP.  Complicated devices however are in fact more fragile the newer the technology is the less resistant is to emp. So the world will be gone that's not issue here however flashlights and other low tech will survive. PC's Tv's not so much however. The theme will stay as it is.  Nothing will change, now is it game-wise to add another light-source tool it is another question. 

Sure, just a bit over 100 years old, and if we consider designs that are in use today, closer to 70. Completely ancient tech, on par with stone tools and creation of wheel.

And they are not resistant to em activity more that any other electronics. Only some1 who have absolutely no idea about electricity or em fields can claim something as absurd as that. The fact alone that flashlight bulbs are powered by something like AAA batteries, speaks volumes of how little resistance they have to voltage spikes.

Conventional light bulbs - 120 V, flashlight bulbs - 2-5 V .

23 hours ago, Dirmagnos said:

Sure, just a bit over 100 years old, and if we consider designs that are in use today, closer to 70. Completely ancient tech, on par with stone tools and creation of wheel.

And they are not resistant to em activity more that any other electronics. Only some1 who have absolutely no idea about electricity or em fields can claim something as absurd as that. The fact alone that flashlight bulbs are powered by something like AAA batteries, speaks volumes of how little resistance they have to voltage spikes.

The only thing that is absurd is your comments: How can you type so many words and not produce any plausible fact or idea for that matter. I've actually tried to make sense of your comments  but every time I read something you type it seems so illogical and unconnected or supported so I'm putting you on ignore from now on so don't even bother to respond. I've joined this forum to be a part of the project not to explain rudimentary physics to you and each time I respond I feel like I'm braking the rules of this wonderful community which helped me so much couple years ago when the long dark was still an early development. So please save your comments for someone else.

Keep it friendly in here everyone! If you find yourself, for whatever reason, unable to engage in a helpful and thoughtful way, please just take a breather and reassess. 

Heated argument, however well-intentioned you feel it may be, doesn't help anyone if it turns personal. Thanks!

Allright guys. I've done my best to look into the matter to resolve your dispute from a scientific point of view.

And - albeit I wasn't able to find a scientific article directly comparing the difference between CME (coronal mass ejections = solar flares) and EMP (electromagnetic pulses) effects - I still found half a million "prepper websites" who seem to agree on said difference.

This one here sums up things quite well:

http://www.thepreparednesspodcast.com/the-difference-between-emp-and-cme/

To cut a long story short: Solar flares (like the one we're presumably dealing with in TLD) don't cause the same type of EMP like e.g. a nuclear explosion or a lightning.

For nuclear explosion EMPs, @Dirmagnos is right: These can indeed destroy all electric devices, no matter whether they're connected to power grids. For CMEs, however, @vancopower is right. CMEs cause long duration, low voltage EMPs that aren't strong enough to damage electric devices unconnected to power grids. (The only exception are satellites in space, everything down on Earth is safe as long as it's not plugged in).

I hope this information helps you to settle your conflict for good.:normal:

Edit:

Oh, and @topic: I personally agree to @cekivi and would prefer candles as a (preferably immobile) long-term light source as well.^^

OK, here's a counter-opinion: I do not feel, I would need another light source in the game. I can not think of what it could be used for.

Though, that would be nice, if the oil lamp had a switch to light brighter, so it would light up a larger area around, AND consuming more kerosene/minute, of course. But that's all.

10 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Allright guys. I've done my best to look into the matter to resolve your dispute from a scientific point of view.

And - albeit I wasn't able to find a scientific article directly comparing the difference between CME (coronal mass ejections = solar flares) and EMP (electromagnetic pulses) effects - I still found half a million "prepper websites" who seem to agree on said difference.

This one here sums up things quite well:

http://www.thepreparednesspodcast.com/the-difference-between-emp-and-cme/

To cut a long story short: Solar flares (like the one we're presumably dealing with in TLD) don't cause the same type of EMP like e.g. a nuclear explosion or a lightning.

For nuclear explosion EMPs, @Dirmagnos is right: These can indeed destroy all electric devices, no matter whether they're connected to power grids. For CMEs, however, @vancopower is right. CMEs cause long duration, low voltage EMPs that aren't strong enough to damage electric devices unconnected to power grids. (The only exception are satellites in space, everything down on Earth is safe as long as it's not plugged in).

I hope this information helps you to settle your conflict for good.:normal:

Edit:

Oh, and @topic: I personally agree to @cekivi and would prefer candles as a (preferably immobile) long-term light source as well.^^

Well mabye I made mistake comparing them two.

Totaly for Candels (from animal fat at the best) thet are preferably immobile and last long periods of time.

geting bored burning trought wood/oil for every time i want to go throught the shipwreck (i made my base there) hint , hint any posibilities of making it lighter inside like a hole in wall or something?

You could craft your own flashlight, the "event" wouldn't drain all the power in all batteries.  This would be a better idea. Being able to find "skill" books for even more craft able items that run on battery power. 

On 5/5/2016 at 0:05 PM, Scyzara said:

Its accurate for conventional solar flares, that do not cause nation-wide blackouts. Yet, in TLD we are dealing with something different.

Normally CMEs dont generate E1 pulse, so they shouldnt cause any significant effect close to the surface. Yet here we are, with everything electronics-related being dead.

And if electronics are not dead, then wtf exactly happened ? How everything can be out without being out ? And again, all strategic and military infrastructure is specifically hardened against that type of events.

The sun does have the potential to cause nation wide blackouts:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/03/110302-solar-flares-sun-storms-earth-danger-carrington-event-science/

I don't know the inciting incident of the Long Dark but the game is a work of fiction. Artistic license is reasonable and maybe the military infrastructure is fine. We just don't know. Since we don't know (and I doubt Hinterland's will spoil their story before it's released) these arguments just serve to upset people on the forums. Will the event be like an EMP that wipes out everything? Is it more like a CME that only takes out infrastructure? Who knows? I don't and whether or not flashlights or other light sources have merit in the game can still be discussed without needing to determining the inciting incident for the game.

@Dirmagnos you've been very clear that flashlights shouldn't be in the game since, in your opinion, the aurora wiped out everything with wires. That's all you need to say. They shouldn't be included because they don't fit your conception of the game's plot/theme. If someone wants to argue that you're wrong or attack you personally based on that reasonable, valid opinion than @Scyzara, @Patrick Carlson, or myself will gladly remind them of the forum's rules.

On 3.5.2016 at 1:42 AM, Dirmagnos said:

I realised, that your posts in the last months are more and more negative and aggressive and that you sometimes discuss stuff, that is not on topic (like in my threat difficulty for storymode). Maybe you can change that. Would be really nice for the forum, as you post under nearly everything.

No offense,

Gleudal

This thread has gotten entirely too negative and argumentative. And please refrain from commenting personally on other forum members. Instead, simply message me or a moderator if you feel there is an issue. 

In the meantime I'm going to lock up this thread for now so we can all take a deep breath. Thank you. 

Archived