Keep Your Right Hand on the Wall

SpoonyMass

So there I was, it had been a day and some change since I got mauled by the old bear, we'll call him Mor'du because..., come on..., http://pixar.wikia.com/wiki/Mor'du 

..., I had managed with great effort and resourcefulness to traverse the mysterious vastness of Pleasant Valley, not without incident mind you.  Wolves, a stint of falling off a cliff spraining my ankle on the way down and having to then run from Mor'du because that bear is relentless.  But I managed and now I stand in the darkness of the cave system that takes one from and to Pleasant Valley to and from Mystery Lake.  It's a journey I've made once before, a fun little romp in some really outstanding visual caveness.  The difference between that time and THIS time is I have one flair and a handful of matches.  I do not have a lantern to speak of..., 

Not to say I'm up for the challenge, I mean bring it on Nature, Murphy's Law, and Gravity, I got your number; but, I can't help but think of the old technique of keeping your right hand on the right wall.  If you are blind and in a maze, that's how they say you can get out, that you can paint a picture of it in your head by keeping a hand on the right wall (or left, I mean, doesn't matter).  Problem is, I don't get any sense of movement or direction while in pitch blackness, I can't keep my hand on the right wall.  Not to say that I mean, get rid of the pitch blackness, I mean that's actual honest to goodness fact if there is no light there isn't light...,   

..., but some sort of collision detection, an arrow to know that you are against a wall in the dark, that would be something.  

Just so people know how I navigated the cavern basically in the dark.  I just turned my sight towards a light source to give myself that sense of movement and then listened for my footfalls.  Not something I'd want to do in Timberwolf Mountain, but, it worked well enough.  

On 2016-04-28 at 5:25 PM, Dinhammer said:

Just don't do it in the caves on Timberwolf Mountain.  

Hidden Content

:winky:

That particular cave was one of my favourite new elements in Timberwolf mountain. It was a very interesting (and realistic) surprise :big_smile:

On 3.5.2016 at 9:38 PM, cekivi said:

That particular cave was one of my favourite new elements in Timberwolf mountain. It was a very interesting (and realistic) surprise :big_smile:

The first two times I didnt realise the stairs on the side and thought I have to jump down and take the damage every time :)

I'll second this one. A way to at least assist in blind navigation would be awesome. Being able to "stick" to a wall with some indicator when you can no longer advance would at least allow a player to make progress somewhere. Even if they had no idea of where they were going, at least there is progress.

Maybe a barehanded action where the player reaches out and touches with some indication if their hand falls on a wall and if so what it's made out of. I'm in the dark, I've been using the right/left hand, but have come to what I think is a dead-end. I could reach out and touch with some feedback of "stone wall."

Archived