Difficulty for Story mode

Gleudal

Hej,

one of the reasons why I love TLD is, that I am responsible for what I do and that I get punished, when I forget something or do something stupid. The possibility of permadeath of our current Character leads to an emotional binding, that I really like. I dont know yet, how difficoult the story mode will be, but I would like to have an option, like in sandbox with different difficulties, at least two: one with the proposed safepoint system and one without.

On 25.4.2016 at 0:19 AM, Dirmagnos said:

Every gamer best friend.

Alt - F4. Or Task Manager - that one never fails.

not sure, if you got my point - if you wanna trick the game and your expierience, you can do that, I dont care, but I wanna have the possibility to die, when I deserve it.

The current game already autosaves when you bump into a wolf/bear encounter or when you get an infection etc. This way quick exiting with task manager doesn't help - unless you spot the inevitable fast enough to exit before it happens. 

It's not the point, if I really want to trick the game surely I will find a way to do so, everything has a backdoor. But why would I? I love that I have to bear the responsibility of my choices. It's not a frequent thing amongst games. So yeah, I like the idea of keeping the permadeath system. 

(of course the checkpoint based save system is a 'must have' for the story mode, permadeath should be only an alternative)

There is a huge difference between making up a rule and pretending that if you fuck sg up than you can't reload and knowing that you phsically won't be able to reload after you die if you don't cheat. 

Those who want to have checkpoints could still play on normal mode. And those who are like me and like the intensity that comes from the permadeath sys. should have their chance to do so.

The thing is that when I know that my save is lost, in a permadeath option I will play much more carefully and like I would do in reality. If I know, that there is a safepoint I would play much more risky, because if I die it doesnt matter. It just totally changes my playstyle and feeling in the game and thats why I want this option.

4 hours ago, Gleudal said:

The thing is that when I know that my save is lost, in a permadeath option I will play much more carefully and like I would do in reality. If I know, that there is a safepoint I would play much more risky, because if I die it doesnt matter. It just totally changes my playstyle and feeling in the game and thats why I want this option.

Actually it boils down to familiarity, not perma-death. In sandbox death is permanent as well, yet it doesnt make any1 to be more careful, since in 90% of cases you can simply reload.

In beginning new players are careful, but once they learn all of those absurd unfixed exploits, like eating once a week and stay ok or animals patiently waiting when player lights a fire, it becomes a lot easier.

On 3.5.2016 at 1:02 PM, Dirmagnos said:

Actually it boils down to familiarity, not perma-death. In sandbox death is permanent as well, yet it doesnt make any1 to be more careful, since in 90% of cases you can simply reload.

In beginning new players are careful, but once they learn all of those absurd unfixed exploits, like eating once a week and stay ok or animals patiently waiting when player lights a fire, it becomes a lot easier.

well, I dont play like that and I wont do it.

I feel like perma-death should be an option on higher difficulties of the story mode (assuming we have difficulties). I enjoy perma-death in Sandbox mode, but the first time I play through the story, I don't want to be worried about being killed by Wolf #269 and having to restart the whole experience, it won't be fun to me. Or worse, I make it to almost the end and die, then have to put another how many hours into the game just to make it back to where I was. It will get tedious I promise. Sandbox is totally different for perma-death, and quite frankly I would get to the point I wouldn't play story mode because it would be more of a chore than anything. That being said, once I know the story and have completed the game, it would be fun to play through it on a harder difficulty where I can go "okay, we have to do this without you dying". 

As for the save game exploit of just escaping the game before you die... if you want to cheat the system that's fine. But that doesn't mean the idea is stupid or pointless, since for many players it will challenge them to play differently.

Archived