Brandish with flares

vancopower

I believe that the torch is now stronger than the flare? I tried to brandish with the flare 3 different wolves with no luck, they stopped for a while but attacked me anyway so my question is: how can we use flares effectively in this new update to scare off wolves are they really worse than torches now?  do wolves run away at all ? ... I'll keep trying but is boring just to die all the time.

5 hours ago, vancopower said:

I believe that the torch is now stronger than the flare? I tried to brandish with the flare 3 different wolves with no luck, they stopped for a while but attacked me anyway so my question is: how can we use flares effectively in this new update to scare off wolves are they really worse than torches now?  do wolves run away at all ? ... I'll keep trying but is boring just to die all the time.

I have the impression torches and flares are more of less equal regarding their deterrence potential, flares only have the advantage to be windproof. Carrying (or brandishing) a flare can definitely chase away wolves and even bears, it just doesn't work 100% of the time any more.

Animals have a certain probability to ignore dropped decoys and carried flares/torches/brands now. The probability of an attack seems to increase when your character is exhausted, overencumbered or at low condition. (Other factors like ailments might also play a role).

If you make sure to stay in a good shape and not be overloaded, torches & flares still work pretty well. Against wolves (but not against bears!) it's also possible to light a campfire (e.g. with accellerant) in cases of great emergency. Wolves generally run away from campfires now.

Hope that helps you a bit to figure out the new system. :normal:

5 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I have the impression torches and flares are more of less equal regarding their deterrence potential, flares only have the advantage to be windproof. Carrying (or brandishing) a flare can definitely chase away wolves and even bears, it just doesn't work 100% of the time any more.

Animals have a certain probability to ignore dropped decoys and carried flares/torches/brands now. The probability of an attack seems to increase when your character is exhausted, overencumbered or at low condition. (Other factors like ailments might also play a role).

If you make sure to stay in a good shape and not be overloaded, torches & flares still work pretty well. Against wolves (but not against bears!) it's also possible to light a campfire (e.g. with accellerant) in cases of great emergency. Wolves generally run away from campfires now.

Hope that helps you a bit to figure out the new system. :normal:

I thought that wildlife ignores dropped torches completely now are you sure that there is a chance to make them stop again? Carrying capacity is a factor now? why? hmm this game becomes more complicated with every update. 

Also I've noticed that wolf patrols do not go away in a day like they used to,  I've killed a wolf and a deer but I can not harvest because there are 2 more wolves patrolling . I've waited a day then tried to scare them off with a flare on full health and fatigue and got killed by the second wolf, maybe I was at 70% can't remember now but still isn't this too harsh now ? the wolves are persistent they can't be scared away like we used to I believe some balancing is needed here. 

11 hours ago, vancopower said:

Campfires are the go-to method for me now. Two sticks, tinder and a match is all you need (3 sticks if you want a flaming brand as well), as long as it's not windy and you have enough time (if it is windy, find a suitable windbreak nearby fast as you can). Wolves approach more slowly now, so usually I have had enough time. I'd resort to accelerant only if the wolf is charging or I if can't see it and it sounds close, or if I'm low on condition, or something like that.

But, the main change in my habits from the previous version is that I am much, much more cautious about wolves now, and I give them a much wider berth if I spot them; I'm much more defensive in confrontations than before, and try to move away from the scene, if possible, rather than stand my ground in order to frighten the wolf away.

6 minutes ago, vancopower said:

thought that wildlife ignores dropped torches completely now are you sure that there is a chance to make them stop again?

Please read my sentence again. :winky:

I wrote that wildlife may ignore dropped DECOYS, not flares. All wildlife always ignores dropped flares, torches and brands now.

They also have a chance to ignore carried (or brandished) torches, flares and brands.

I'm not 100% sure yet what exactly influences their attack probability, but I'm trying to figure it out. It's possible that the odds to get jumped despite a flare don't have anything to do with the factors I mentioned (condition, encumbrance, ailments, fatigue) and I'm just seeing things. 

But I've definitely made the experience that - when returning to my base fully encumbered, exhausted and possibly at low condition - wolves are much more likely to ignore my torches and decoys. I also got jumped twice despite several dropped decoys when I was fully rested and not encumbered, but suffered from late-stage parasite infection and was at about 80% condition.

7 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

Read my sentence again. :winky:

I wrote that wildlife may ignore dropped DECOYS, not flares. All wildlife always ignores dropped flares, torches and brands now.

They also have a chance to ignore carried (or brandished) torches, flares and brands.

A yes carried :) anyway it is bad my friend I hope that wolf patrols go away in 2 days at least if not there is no point in hunting anymore and I might as well go back to voyager now since now there is a great difference in the 2 modes. 

3 minutes ago, vancopower said:

I hope that wolf patrols go away in 2 days at least if not there is no point in hunting anymore and I might as well go back to voyager now since now there is a great difference in the 2 modes. 

I'll keep my fingers crossed. Their patrol routes are more diverse now, so it may happen. :winky:

1 hour ago, Drifter Man said:

Thanks for this... I was looking for some comprehensive description of these changes myself

You're welcome. As said above, please take my advices with a grain of salt.^^

30 minutes ago, Scyzara said:

I'm not 100% sure yet what exactly influences their attack probability, but I'm trying to figure it out. It's possible that the odds to get jumped despite a flare don't have anything to do with the factors I mentioned (condition, encumbrance, ailments, fatigue) and I'm just seeing things. 

But I've definitely made the experience that - when returning to my base fully encumbered, exhausted and possibly at low condition - wolves are much more likely to ignore my torches and decoys. I also got jumped twice despite several dropped decoys when I was fully rested and not encumbered, but suffered from late-stage parasite infection and was at about 80% condition.

Some wolves are just more aggressive than others, I think (as well as accounting for the factors you mentioned).

Some wolves are more aggressive than others. Bottom line not every technique is going to work for every wolf. They are unpredictable and that is the whole point. Either avoid them or arm yourself for defense, endurance of a fight or run and run like the wind!

Archived