Tree types

Nilos

What are the visual differences between Birch, Fir, Cedar, and Hollowed-Out trees? The best answers would be ones with screenshots from multiple angles and distances. Another awesome answer would be one that includes a set of 3D models that I could DL, import into Maya, and inspect personally.
I honestly have such trouble distinguishing between the different trees.

Personally, I haven't noticed too much of a visual differences between the branches. Usually, I've had to go up and inspect them to determine the type.

Birch trees, however, will be white with black specks and hollowed out trees will look dead (have no boughs on them).

On 4/21/2016 at 1:57 AM, Nilos said:

What are the visual differences between Birch, Fir, Cedar, and Hollowed-Out trees? The best answers would be ones with screenshots from multiple angles and distances. Another awesome answer would be one that includes a set of 3D models that I could DL, import into Maya, and inspect personally.
I honestly have such trouble distinguishing between the different trees.

do you mean trees or branches and saplings?

Fir and cedar limbs aren't difficult to distinguish from the distance, you just need to have a look at the ramification pattern. If the limb looks two-forked with only one ramification in the middle (+ sometimes a tiny side twig usually buried in the snow), then it's the fir limb model. If it has multiple ramifications (5-forked), it's cedar.

On the screenshot below, the left limb is fir (side twig buried in the snow), the right one is cedar.

Fir also has a slightly more blueish color, but the difference is rather minor.

fir&cedar.jpg

Archived