Navigation?

RighteousFury

6 minutes ago, RighteousFury said:

I have been using online maps for the long dark for quite some time, is there a map or compass in the long dark?

Thanks for the help.

Where there are a variety of community maps currently available, there's isn't a compass item or in-game map built into the game. Pays to explore and wander a bit off the beaten path to find your way through the world! :geek:

There's no compass but you've probably noticed by playing or seen on the maps that each area has specific landmarks that helps you find your way. For instance, the train tracks in Mystery Lake or Signal Hill in Pleasant Valley.

I mean the trappers cabin to the ranger station at mystery lake, you know how there is the giant ridge in between them? I got lost in there and a blizzard caught me, so I made a campfire  and put a bedroll down, eventually passing in my sleep. 

(Attempted route)5716ee099fe46_MysteryLakeMap.png.3d38ed7

(Route taken)5716eee16e112_sleepswithfishes.thumb.jpg

Ah, shoot. I've gotten lost myself trying to make that trip in bad weather. :side-eye:

The only way you can save yourself once you're lost between the ridges is to find the icy creek that flows down to the Unnamed Pond. Following it up takes you almost all the way to the Camp Office and you can usually get to the train tracks from the wellspring of the creek. One of the benefits of lots of play time: you learn the signatures of the various maps :geek:

I just use the sun for navigation :P rises in the east, sets in the west. but sometimes the skies are cloudy and you cant see the sun, so try and memorize your directions.

i have no idea if this game has a northern star. i've never looked, and i dont know how to find the northern star anyway haha

IRL, the Northern Star (aka the Pole Star) is the point around which the entire nighttime sky (read stars/constellations) rotate around. I'm not sure what works in Australia, but I know they have a Southern one, too. In the Northern Hemisphere, it is Polaris, part of the constellation Ursa Minor (the Little Bear) aka the Little Dipper (at least in the US). 

How to find Polaris

I have yet to spend the night outdoors in TLD to see if the night sky rotates around a specific star. And no, it's not the brightest one in the northern sky. At least, it shouldn't be.

In real life you can find the north star is by locating the big dipper (Ursa Major) and using the last two stars on the ladle to point to Polaris. The easiest way is to actually triangulate to Polaris using Ursa Major and Cassiopeia but I'd need to have a picture to show you how it's done :)

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

In real life you can find the north star is by locating the big dipper (Ursa Major) and using the last two stars on the ladle to point to Polaris. The easiest way is to actually triangulate to Polaris using Ursa Major and Cassiopeia but I'd need to have a picture to show you how it's done :)

Good advice, how do you find the Big Dipper? 

3 hours ago, Tbone555 said:

I just use the sun for navigation :P rises in the east, sets in the west. but sometimes the skies are cloudy and you cant see the sun, so try and memorize your directions.

i have no idea if this game has a northern star. i've never looked, and i dont know how to find the northern star anyway haha

Since the Great Bear Island map was released I think we have to work with a pretty flexible definition of "south" now.  It's more accurate to say that the sun rises in the bottom right of the Whiteberry maps and sets in the bottom left.   

sun-map.thumb.jpg.a844e30917a366d578f878

I don't know if it can be done in game actually. In real life you just need to get a feel for your area and be willing to stay up late at night. I grew up in the country so star gazing, especially in winter, was really easy to do. Most places have star maps which will tell you where in the night sky to look for various constellations. As for in game... I'm usually safely indoors at night :)

19 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Since the Great Bear Island map was released I think we have to work with a pretty flexible definition of "south" now.  It's more accurate to say that the sun rises in the bottom right of the Whiteberry maps and sets in the bottom left.   

That's just funny :D

55 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

sun-map.thumb.jpg.a844e30917a366d578f878

It looks like the passage that we are using now for PV to TWM is the passage that will be used for episode 2?

3 hours ago, cekivi said:

I don't know if it can be done in game actually. In real life you just need to get a feel for your area and be willing to stay up late at night. I grew up in the country so star gazing, especially in winter, was really easy to do. Most places have star maps which will tell you where in the night sky to look for various constellations. As for in game... I'm usually safely indoors at night :)

Well I´m nerd form the LA, I can do all that much stargazing.

1 hour ago, cekivi said:

Ah. Lots of light pollution I presume? :side-eye:

The only stars you see in LA are driving convertables :D 

Ok, its not quite that bad, but I took a friend from LA up to Yosemite's backcountry and he freaked out at night because he no idea there could be that many stars.

4 minutes ago, Jolan said:

The only stars you see in LA are driving convertables :D 

Ok, its not quite that bad, but I took a friend from LA up to Yosemite's backcountry and he freaked out at night because he no idea there could be that many stars.

:D

I suspect many of my friends from big cities would feel that way :)

Archived