Ever Noticed That Car Battery

TechNich

15 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Guys, unless you're able to keep this discussion on topic and civil, this thread is likely to be locked soon. Insulting each other is definitely not helpful to have a meaningful discussion about a topic as complex as EMPs.

Unfortunately, I have no idea if a CME (coronal mass ejection) - for this is likely the cause of TLD's geomagnetic storm and the strong aurora we're going to see in the future - can cause EMPs strong enough to damage devices which are not connected to power grid systems. I do know that other forms of EMPs (e.g. from nuclear explosions) can have this effect, but I'm not sure how powerful solar EMPs are in comparison.

Thank you for the reminder. I do agree that it was getting kind of out of hand, and yes, we are going way off topic

From what I can tell from past posts and information, apparently the poles have flipped. Basically, North is South and South is North. That's what it meant by "Geomagnetic Storm" from what I can tell. I have no idea if this is true or not, nor if this is even viable. However, I do not believe we should ridicule this information and start discussing how "ridiculous" this theory may believe. I believe, instead, that we should discuss the possibilities of what this has and could do for gameplay. The other thing is that we do not know if these "storms" are ongoing or not; whether this was just a one-off event or not.

It is only a theory, and I ask that you please inform us whether this seems like a valid theory or not, and that you please respect the people on this post. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Grimsley99 said:

It is only a theory, and I ask that you please inform us whether this seems like a valid theory or not, and that you please respect the people on this post. 

Are you talking to me?^^

I neither know how I've (even to the tiniest extent) disrespected anyone in this post, nor do I know whether the events happening in TLD could theoretically be related to a pole switch.:winky:

To my (very limited) knowledge as a non-geologist and non-physicist, natural pole reversals in reality happen periodically about every half a million years and take centuries to complete. I can't tell you whether the Devs intend to include a pole reversal in the narrative background story of what's happening in TLD. If I remember correctly, Raphael has said the cause of the event will be revealed once the story mode launches and not before that point.

20 hours ago, vancopower said:

As a matter of fact I do. I have 3 electrical engineers at home to back me on this and it happens all the time for example when thunder strikes it releases magnetic field which can burn the equipment at the power stations or should I say the central which is in fact 3 blocks away from my home and what they do in this case is emergency shut down and when they do it a massive charge instead of 220 volts the central releases 1.000 volts and burns everything from PC's to mobiles. Same thing will happen if you unplug the cord of some electrical device that consumes a lot of power like old heater it sparks right? this is on a much larger scale.

Car ignition is different kind of current if you want to know more about power and  the different types of current there is just google Nikola Tesla and read about it. And I do not believe that you are stupid those are your perceptions not mine and I am done explaining that this is not a private chat I will comment no more on this, farewell.  

Its amazing how you conveniently have representative of every profession at home or near it, once discussion comes to that. Problem is that it seems that they know even less about their profession than you do.

Thunder doesnt release anything, its just a sound wave, lighting is the thing that introduces focused strong electric charge in a localized area. While it works on the same principles as solar flare emp, it has completely different delivery mechanics. with latter introducing far higher amount of energy, compared to lighting, but over large area. It doesnt need a *cencored* power station to overload electronics, since its everywhere.

If lighting would strike a PC it would probably friggin blow up. When it hits a car it can burn out everything electrical in it. Completely.

Emp needing a power station to cause any damage is the biggest pile of nonsense ive heard in a while. 1000 volts ??!?!? How about a million volts !

As rain doesnt need a pipe to get down, so emp doesnt need a power station to cause damage.

Speaking of Tesla, hes been a major proponent of wireless power. Among other things he actually constructed working prototypes. In other words, car electric system doesnt need to be closed by turning ignition, since charge strong enough can jump over and create current that will fry everything.

3 hours ago, Grimsley99 said:

From what I can tell from past posts and information, apparently the poles have flipped. Basically, North is South and South is North. That's what it meant by "Geomagnetic Storm" from what I can tell. I have no idea if this is true or not, nor if this is even viable. However, I do not believe we should ridicule this information and start discussing how "ridiculous" this theory may believe. I believe, instead, that we should discuss the possibilities of what this has and could do for gameplay. The other thing is that we do not know if these "storms" are ongoing or not; whether this was just a one-off event or not.

I honestly have no idea what would give you that impression. There is no indications of any pole shifting. Not to mention that its impossible. As already mentioned by Scyzara, it takes hundreds of years(and that considered be fast shift, it can take thousands of years) and is accompanied by major changes in both geology and weather, like earthquakes and superstorms.

Hey guys. Please try to keep your comments impersonal. Criticizing an idea is great especially if you can propose alternatives. Criticizing players (or ridiculing them) is not. Also, please try to avoid topic drift. Remember that the original post was about the following:

On 2016-04-14 at 7:14 PM, TechNich said:

Have you ever noticed that car battery just stands out more than the other well i got a little suggestion
* Working electricity or homemade generator (so with that addition that can open a broad spectrum of items and accessories)
*Lamps 
*Heater (to get you warmed up faster inside)
* Working Microwave(for small foods like beef jerky or soup)
*Actual generate and refillable with that jerry can or kerosene can

What effects the aurora should and shouldn't have should probably be a topic on its own.

Hey, yeah, keep it friendly, everyone!

Although the topic of electricity has come up again and again, remember the big thrust of the story is that the lights go out. And we have to learn how to deal with that new reality in the game. That being said, I don't know of any plans to make practical use of a car battery in the game. But friendly speculation is always welcome!

21 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Although the topic of electricity has come up again and again, remember the big thrust of the story is that the lights go out. And we have to learn how to deal with that new reality in the game. That being said, I don't know of any plans to make practical use of a car battery in the game. But friendly speculation is always welcome!

I agree, speculation of this topic is very good thing to let the community of TLD to come together and imagine The what if things about the game

On 29.4.2016 at 7:18 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Here is one idea we can use car batteries only for base lights, they can be fixed in one location so we can at least manage our supplies at night it will be a good addition to the game since now with the new update we can't rest as we used to so instead of just passing time we can sort out our supplies and  prepare for the next day without spending precious kerosene.

On 4/29/2016 at 9:42 PM, Scyzara said:

Are you talking to me?^^

Oh no, I wasn't talking about you, just people in general. 

Everyone needs to realise that this is purely speculation. Most people here don't know about half the things they speak of and that's okay. I don't know of half the things I speak of, but I'd prefer the ridiculing to stay at a professional level rather than a personal one. I'd also prefer for people to keep as much of their personal lives to themselves, rather than bringing that into the conversation. It is what people will react to.

Thank you

Archived