Ever Noticed That Car Battery

TechNich

Have you ever noticed that car battery just stands out more than the other well i got a little suggestion
* Working electricity or homemade generator (so with that addition that can open a broad spectrum of items and accessories)
*Lamps 
*Heater (to get you warmed up faster inside)
* Working Microwave(for small foods like beef jerky or soup)
*Actual generate and refillable with that jerry can or kerosene can

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, some of those items have been proposed before as well. For some reason, people didn't much care for my idea of a battery operated light for the Hibernia Processing workbench :)

The generator and electricity have also made appearances. 

Also, curse your inside knowledge @illanthropist! It is nice to know that the battery is intended to do something some day though :D

36 minutes ago, TechNich said:

Have you ever noticed that car battery just stands out more than the other well i got a little suggestion
* Working electricity or homemade generator (so with that addition that can open a broad spectrum of items and accessories)
*Lamps 
*Heater (to get you warmed up faster inside)
* Working Microwave(for small foods like beef jerky or soup)
*Actual generate and refillable with that jerry can or kerosene can

Hey TechNich, welcome to the forums! Great that you've joined us here. :durbear:

Paper money and jumping aside, how do you imagine your other suggestions for a hypothetical battery impacting the current game play systems? Would it render some of them obsolete or out of place? Just speculating here based on your post and curious what you think. 

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Patrick

3 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

paper money is plastic these days and melts instead of burning

And the old money that's still in circulation is mostly cloth. As it turns out true paper money is not that durable :)

Still, there should be plenty of receipts, bills, paperwork, cheques, grocery bags etc. laying around to satisfy anyone's inner pyromaniac ^_^

2 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hey TechNich, welcome to the forums! Great that you've joined us here. :durbear:

Paper money and jumping aside, how do you imagine your other suggestions for a hypothetical battery impacting the current game play systems? Would it render some of them obsolete or out of place? Just speculating here based on your post and curious what you think. 

Looking forward to seeing you around.

Patrick

I agree maybe some may be out of place but i felt that when i was in the home stead a i felt it need a little light a night, and thinking on it know with the points you made makes me think that the crafting system that already there would be weird for it. but like a workable work light or something that would light up the house while i move around, i understand that means the lantern would be useless than for the indoors but i think that would be obsolete if the player was to advance, like in the later days like day 100 or higher.

3 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

paper money is plastic these days and melts instead of burning

True... i forgot about that i guess i got caught up in the ideas and thought it be pretty funny to burn the money we used to need and burn it as something we never used in the first place

I also have one more suggestion that may be very out of place but it would make the surviving experience more Fun for the play well here it goes
*Build-able shelters and i don't mean like build-able mansions i mean like out of sticks and wood like a little shelter than you and i can make outside with out experience
also i was thinking for like if you build on something metal or stone Torch Mounts(not craft-able) random or naturally generated in caves or in some house if possible(i haven't been in every single house in the game) or those fishing huts.

37 minutes ago, TechNich said:

True... i forgot about that i guess i got caught up in the ideas and thought it be pretty funny to burn the money we used to need and burn it as something we never used in the first place

There's an awesome scene in the movie "Cliffhanger" where Stallone makes a campfire from wads of $100 bills and quips "it costs a fortune to heat this place!". Sadly, I couldn't find a video of it but it was a really funny one liner :D

If I may, I'd like to share a view on how they MIGHT add batteries to the game

If they allow you to take the battery (I say if even though we all know its going to happen), there would have to be some way to re-generate the electricity. Cars and Utilities /Utes (I'm Australian, I don't say trucks) only occur in Pleasant Valley, Coastal Highway, Desolation Point and I have yet to traversed Broken Highway but I would figure that there would be a vehicle of some sort. The way the developers would balance this would be to place the generator in another region.

Here's how I would go about it. You notice the rail line stretching from Mystery Lake to Coastal Highway via The Ravine. Every thought of why there are so many trucks, yet no locomotives. That would be how you generate electricity. It would require fuel, and even then without a source of energy to start the engine, you would have to kick start the motor. 

Another thought, and this is going way out there; how about a steam generator in one of the new locations soon to be added. The steam generator would be next to a small shack, suitable for staying out of the cold and charging the battery, but not much else. It would also have to be either hard to get to, or just generally hard. The steam generator would need lots of pre-melted water and plenty of coal to be of any use. The whole process would have to be hard or brutal enough to balance out the new source of energy.

I think the community can understand how to do the rest (e.g. connecting the battery to a house/cabin/any appliance).

These are just my thoughts, and I would love to know what your thoughts are on this. Let me know how ridiculous this sounds.

Thank you

- Grimsley99

The only problem with that proposal is that steam and diesel generators are no more advanced than the hydro generators in the dam and the aurora knocked that out completely. There was a thread a while back on the merits of generators. It all comes down to what the aurora did to technology. If everything is fried than you'll never get a generator running without stripping it apart and rebuilding all of the control and transformer components. Not impossible but definitely difficult. I personally doubt generators will be added to the game since the hydro lines catch on fire when the aurora flares up! That should fuse your copper coil in your generator together and then no more power.

My theory is that the batteries could be used as a non-renewable power supply. Chemistry still works so you'd be able to get 12V DC from them. Maybe in the summer if the aurora subsides (this is pure speculation at this point!) then maybe building or fixing a generator would be possible.

For the original discussions see:

18 minutes ago, Rusty_Old_F250 said:

I'm a car guy, so the first thing that comes to mind when I think of car batteries is how much I hate lugging them around! A group 24 battery, a VERY common battery used in all sorts of cars, pickups and industrial equipment weighs 40-50 lbs.

Sam

That and the risk of getting acid on your precious handcrafted deerskin pants, or wolfskin parka...

They do weigh a ton but just the option to have some lights would make it worth hauling the short distance from one of the wrecks to the garage on the coastal highway for instance :)

They're definitely too heavy to haul between maps though...

Well, why haven't we found any in the gas station in CH? Isn't that a repair station as well (trying to remember if there is a repair bay there . . .)

I would think that one could find batteries sitting on the shelves in the back rooms, waiting for sale . . .

But yeah, the fact that the battery looks so different from the rest of the engine suggests that there will be a use for them in the future . . .

Theres one huge problem with all those ideas.

If event was small, then it couldnt have knocked out power on a large scale, since all strategical installations are hardened to prevent that. And if it was global, or even nation-wide, then strength of the event would burn out everything electronic, like permanently.

Premise of the game that no help is coming, so its big. But if Event was so massive, then how can electricity come back ? Everything that has circuitry, starting from lamp bulbs and finishing with complex mechanisms would be gone, for good, strength of the emp would literally melt circuitry.

It is more likely that larger, more robust components and simple electronics (e.g. light bulbs) survived and just integrated circuits were fried. However, this is all pure speculation since Hinterland has so far withheld the details until story mode gets released :)

What we do know with 100% certainty though is that incandescent light bulbs survived and still work based on the April 4th update trailer

Archived