Canned Food

Pasquinel

Call me crazy but shouldn't we be able to heat up/cook any food item that comes in a can for the hot food benefit. Right now peaches and tomato soup can be warmed up but why not evaporated milk and yes even dog food. I know warm evaporated milk is good and could even give the improved rest benefit of herbal tea, warm milk before beddy-bye... I think dog food has to taste better warmed up, it certainly couldn't hurt. Who knows it might taste like hash...:winky:

Just a theory of mine, but (apart from gameplay reasons) it might also be impossible to heat foods that contain rather little fluid because our character is afraid they might scorch. He/she doesn't seem to be heating the cans within a pot of hot water, but simply place the can itself next to the campfire or on top of the stove.

I assume it's rather difficult to heat more or less "solid" food like canned dogfood this way. Unless you stir it all the time, most of it would probably scorch.^^

PS: Pork & beans can also be heated. :normal:

7 hours ago, Pasquinel said:

hot food benefit

I think that's exactly why not everything can be cooked so as to limit the availability of the benefit.  Same with tea and coffee,  I like to warm up cloudy lemonade if suffering from a bit of a chill or an upset tummy.

evaporated milk

It goes like a gelatinous pudding unless you add water to make it back into a milk drink.

I think dog food has to taste better warmed up

I should ask my father, once swapped the label with a canned stewed steak as a teenager and he made a curry from it whilst drunk.  I've only ever had it cold, the gravy version is more palatable than the jelly variety!

4 hours ago, cekivi said:

I'm hoping that with the inclusion of the well-being system hot foods will also cheer a person up in addition to the warmth benefit :)

Indeed. Who doesn't feel cheered up with a hot bowl of stew, chili, or soup after shoveling snow!

On 4/14/2016 at 6:46 PM, Pasquinel said:

Call me crazy but shouldn't we be able to heat up/cook any food item that comes in a can for the hot food benefit. Right now peaches and tomato soup can be warmed up but why not evaporated milk and yes even dog food. I know warm evaporated milk is good and could even give the improved rest benefit of herbal tea, warm milk before beddy-bye... I think dog food has to taste better warmed up, it certainly couldn't hurt. Who knows it might taste like hash...:winky:

Of all the food you can't currently scorch on the fire, what would be No. 1 for you in terms of hot cooking?

Well.

Here are a couple simple items that if included in the game would make cooking just about anything possible. Even if you remove the stove these simple mess kits are quite functional and anybody with sense could avoid burning or scorching food if these were used.

I like the idea someone had of using the milk and granola to make hot cereal. I would ask to go one further and let us find some dry oatmeal in some of the homes. I know these seem small ideas, but they would make the game more interesting rather than foraging for the same items over and over again, Pork and beans again...:beans:

military-green-3pcs-in-1-camping-cookware.jpg

IT_PostW_3.jpg

britmesskit1g.jpg

1-multi-fuel-camp-stove-300x300.jpg

5 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

To continue this discussion further, what about SPAM?

I had a fun food poll on here once suggesting spam and marmite but took it down as some take polls too seriously and were asking for edits and additions :frown:

8 minutes ago, hauteecolerider said:

Better than C-rations! 

good ole compo:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/Bacon_Grill

What surprises me is that all this ready-to-eat food is still lying around at all.  If my power went out I'm not wandering off into the woods to die right away, I'm eating all my damned food first waiting for it to come on again.  Probably take weeks.  I guess that calls the question of what happened to the people who bought the food.  How many died in the event?  And who was it stored their only MRE in a combination safe at the office?  Why isn't more hidden?

P.S: And why are dead bodies always found with near zero loot?  I mean, how did that guy die that the only good thing on his corpse is a sock or a candy bar or in most cases nothing whatsoever?  But that's another topic maybe...

18 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Of all the food you can't currently scorch on the fire, what would be No. 1 for you in terms of hot cooking?

Canned pasta if it was in the game. Pork 'n' Beans since it's not :)

Although Pork 'n' Beans with hot of the grill venison and some canned peaches (since there are no canned potatoes)... now that would be my true #1! :D

6 hours ago, selfless said:

What surprises me is that all this ready-to-eat food is still lying around at all.  If my power went out I'm not wandering off into the woods to die right away, I'm eating all my damned food first waiting for it to come on again.  Probably take weeks.  I guess that calls the question of what happened to the people who bought the food.  How many died in the event?  And who was it stored their only MRE in a combination safe at the office?  Why isn't more hidden?

P.S: And why are dead bodies always found with near zero loot?  I mean, how did that guy die that the only good thing on his corpse is a sock or a candy bar or in most cases nothing whatsoever?  But that's another topic maybe...

That's why those guys are dead. Thought they could go out there and survive on nothing but a pair of socks.

Ahh Glorious SPAM. I actually love SPAM too but as said below...

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Also, Spam isn't that bad. If consumed in small doses with long intervals (years?) in between :)

After WWII, Great Britain basically survived on SPAM supplied by the good ole' USA until she could get back on her feet. Hence the reference in the skit here:

https://youtu.be/anwy2MPT5RE

On 4/15/2016 at 5:24 PM, hauteecolerider said:

Better than C-rations! 

To continue this discussion further, what about SPAM?

I mean, people took stuff with them, and left behind stuff they didn't like . . .

So why haven't I found SPAM? Just Alpo?

Some of the Canadian C rats were not too shabby, I quite liked the turkey chunks in gravy, and the cheese and crackers were great. 

Spam was food of the gods, if you compared it to the Canadian budget version known as Prem, which I got as a sandwich in my school lunch at least once a week.

Archived