The Tools

Diamondz

I think you can use to repair can openers and possibly the heavy hammer. And of course you can repair other simple/ quality tools with them.

At the moment the tools don't really serve much purpose, but more items/ crafting recipes will probably be added that require the tools to repair/ craft.

Storm Lanterns and Hacksaws can also be repaired with the toolkits afaik. I personally would love to see some of the less complex crafting recipes (e.g. the fishing hooks and tackles) become independent from the workbenches. Klicking on a toolbox in your inventory (or placed somewhere in the world) might open up the crafting menu for these recipes.

1 hour ago, Scyzara said:

I personally would love to see some of the less complex crafting recipes (e.g. the fishing hooks and tackles) become independent from the workbenches. Klicking on a toolbox in your inventory (or placed somewhere in the world) might open up the crafting menu for these recipes.

Love this idea! +1

11 hours ago, Scyzara said:

Storm Lanterns and Hacksaws can also be repaired with the toolkits afaik. I personally would love to see some of the less complex crafting recipes (e.g. the fishing hooks and tackles) become independent from the workbenches. Klicking on a toolbox in your inventory (or placed somewhere in the world) might open up the crafting menu for these recipes.

Yes! Definitely :)

Tool boxes, as mentioned above, are required to repair some equipment and for certain crafting recipes. Quality tools gives you a time bonus when using them versus regular tools.

20 hours ago, cekivi said:

Yes! Definitely :)

Tool boxes, as mentioned above, are required to repair some equipment and for certain crafting recipes. Quality tools gives you a time bonus when using them versus regular tools.

So I could theoretically break down the simple tools to get scrap metal once I have quality toolboxes staged at every base/workstation? Hmmm . . . *rubs chin thoughtfully*

6 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

So I could theoretically break down the simple tools to get scrap metal once I have quality toolboxes staged at every base/workstation? Hmmm . . . *rubs chin thoughtfully*

I keep tools mainly so I have something to repair my quality tools with :)

There may also be a weight difference but I'm not sure...

8 hours ago, hauteecolerider said:

Don't scrap the simple tools.  Keep them to repair the quality tools. :)

I have only used the tools to repair hacksaws.  I repaired a lantern once, but I didn't notice any kind of difference, so I've never repaired any more.  I would love to see more crafting recipes in general.

15 hours ago, Vhalkyrie said:

Don't scrap the simple tools.  Keep them to repair the quality tools. :)

I have only used the tools to repair hacksaws.  I repaired a lantern once, but I didn't notice any kind of difference, so I've never repaired any more.  I would love to see more crafting recipes in general.

So, one of each at each base/workstation. No problem!

I think repairing the lanterns keep them working longer?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 4/11/2016 at 6:58 PM, Scyzara said:

I've never been able to find a use for tools. If they are in your inventory do they decrease the amount of time of crafting items? If so, which items?

Like @Scyzara mentioned they have few uses now.... 

Once upon a time tools were needed for certain crafted items and for tool repair but with the implementation of the forge, heavy hammer, whetstone, and rifle cleaning kit they've unfortunately become more or less redundant :( 

It'd be nice to see them return to usefulness. Even if it's only to decrease the crafting times for certain items. 

22 minutes ago, cekivi said:

Like @Scyzara mentioned they have few uses now.... 

Once upon a time tools were needed for certain crafted items and for tool repair but with the implementation of the forge, heavy hammer, whetstone, and rifle cleaning kit they've unfortunately become more or less redundant :( 

It'd be nice to see them return to usefulness. Even if it's only to decrease the crafting times for certain items. 

I guess I'll just leave them be since this save is planned for wipe. In the future though, I will likely move the ones I find to that area's 'field base' and store them for possible future use.

Thanks very much for the guidance Cekivi :)

1 hour ago, Wasteland Watcher said:

I guess I'll just leave them be since this save is planned for wipe. In the future though, I will likely move the ones I find to that area's 'field base' and store them for possible future use.

Thanks very much for the guidance Cekivi :)

They are also a convenient source of scrap metal for the forge if you don't have a hacksaw yet.

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

They are also a convenient source of scrap metal for the forge if you don't have a hacksaw yet.

Thanks for the tip :)

After the save wipe, in my new game I will bring all the scrap metal from CH to DP to forge knives. I noticed there is, conveniently, a lot of scrapable items in DP.

What's kinda messed up is that I had already scrapped every item possible in ML, CH, and PV and staged in CH for transport to DP. No reason to forge it all now :P

Archived