Survival Tools - Pick One

Bill Tarling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of great info in these posts! I have to say that I only have limited mountaineering experience, most of what I've done has been jungle stuff and lots of personal experience with swamp-ish and similar terrain.

That said, a lot of what I know is only going to be of limited practical use in the setting of TLD. Firstly, though, I've not seen much in a lot of places in the world that the 'moss on the north side of a tree' is that reliable. It isn't like the moss would helpfully only grow in one of the cardinal quadrants!

One of the things I was taught was it is important that you try to keep what you have to carry to a minimum, so things you can get multiple uses from would be preferred. With only a minute to pick, I agree with Rauder and would grab for the shovel, depending on exactly what kind of folding shovel we're talking about.

I have a good folding military style shovel with a serrated edge on one side, an edge that will hold a sharpening on the other, and when unfolded and locked in place can support my full weight. Even one that is just a folding shovel head on a short wooden handle can do the things Rauder brought up. It would be a hard choice. The rope and hook have so many uses, and even if the map isn't great having at least a small idea of where you are and other stuff even might just be can be a help. I'm going to have to step up my game for this cold weather stuff. Maybe a sequel can be in the Everglades or somewhere so I can feel more at home...

QUICK NOTE: suddenly people seem to be thinking the folding shovel is military or professional grade...

If the map is a little old (rather than recent), there's a small toboggan (not a heavy duty carrier), a simple nylon rope, (etc.) -- chances are each of the items will be basic versions, not high grade ;o)

Nawwwww... why would Hinterland be watching these threads *lol*

Actually, they are. They referenced this thread from their most recent update...

As to what item I would pick, if the shovel is up to snuff, I'd pick that, otherwise it would probably be the rope. But what I'd really want is a good knife.

But if I were a pilot flying over such terrain, I'd have a emergency kit with everything I thought I might need. And I would have taken some winter wilderness survival courses, so I'd not only know what items to take, but also how to use them.

Actually, they are. They referenced this thread from their most recent update...

I know... humour... all the Hinterland team are very active on the forum -- which is another thing that sets them far apart from the usual crowd funding games... They've made us all feel like part of the game development, and we've all become a big Hinterlander Family :o)

But if I were a pilot flying over such terrain, I'd have a emergency kit with everything I thought I might need. And I would have taken some winter wilderness survival courses, so I'd not only know what items to take, but also how to use them.

Ahhh, but here's the rub... the "character" may know, but in playing him, we will have to discover what does (or doesn't) work...

Plus interaction with even other NPC's will be quite different -- you can't just rush in and start battles: you need them and they need you -- but even their ultimate goal is survival. One description (from Raph) that I love is that you can even die 2 weeks later from an earlier injury infection -- so surviving just the elements will only be part of the challenge.

SIDE NOTE (re: emergency kit in plane)

That's why the selection list in this thread is so limited -- you might not have time or the chance to find the kit [plane on fire, kit ejected or destroyed in crash, etc.], so I wanted to see how people would choose a very basic item [the common type you would get at a department store.

If You Have Young Kids, Try It Out:

For those with young kids, make a game of it and tell them to quickly run around the house and bring you 7 random items (don't tell them what it's for)... you may end up with a stuffed animal, a spoon, toilet paper, a picture, or whatever [it's all up to them].

Some things may be useful, and some not obvious -- but think of how you might be able to use each one if you could only start off with one from whatever they bring you :o)

The most exciting aspect of this game is the unknown. No matter how much you think you know or how creative you can be right now, the changes that the electromagnetic event cause could turn our whole reality upside down. Some things will not work as they were intended anymore...Will Mac. will have to adapt! Exciting!

I'm not seeing anyone choose the flashlight and for that reason i would like to see what uses people can actually think of to make the flashlight a useful survival tool. That being said, I will add that a broken lens might be useful for starting a fire - similar to that of a parabolic lense or magnifying glass.

I'm not seeing anyone choose the flashlight and for that reason i would like to see what uses people can actually think of to make the flashlight a useful survival tool. That being said, I will add that a broken lens might be useful for starting a fire - similar to that of a parabolic lense or magnifying glass.

At the very least, the hollow shaft of the flashlight can be used to hold water. With the lens screwed back in place, it might make a little canteen.

It can also be used to scoop up and hold liquids, dirt, powders, pine needles, small loose items - I don't know; I'm just brainstorming.

It can be used as a waterproof container for small items: maybe a makeshift first aid kit that you've put together, or some tinder, or matches, or small bits of food.

If it's metal and sturdy, the bottom can be used as a hammer, mallet, nut cracker, meat tenderizer (?!).

With the end of a rope wound around it, it can be used as a handle when you need to pull or lift something and can't get a good enough grip on the rope with your hands.

Mightn't the filaments inside the bulb be useful in a pinch in place of a small bit of wire? Maybe they'd be too flimsy...

A sharp edge of broken glass lens might also be used for cutting, scoring, or gouging.

I actually own a manual crank flashlight and from what ive seen they typically use LED's for the light source since they do not require a whole lot of power. Because of this, i do not see any usefulness out of the bulbs themselves

Because it is manual crank it is powered by static electricity with a small battery for short term storage; i'm wondering if you could use the static electricity generated to start a fire. Not quite sure though, might need a fuel if that were the case.

I actually own a manual crank flashlight and from what ive seen they typically use LED's for the light source since they do not require a whole lot of power. Because of this, i do not see any usefulness out of the bulbs themselves

Because it is manual crank it is powered by static electricity with a small battery for short term storage; i'm wondering if you could use the static electricity generated to start a fire. Not quite sure though, might need a fuel if that were the case.

I've taken a dynamo flashlight apart, and could not get it to spark at all. I was able to ignite some bone dry tinder after about 10 mins of fiddling with it and some copper wire.

We still don't know the extent that the electronics are affected by the event.

I'd be amazed if any hand crank flashlight would hold anything with all the seams in it.

Well, if the map's a decent one that might show me a place where I can hole up (an old mine, abandoned sawmill, whatever) I'd grab that and improvise on the rest, since there's a decent bet that an abandoned building is going to have something that can be scavenged, and/or decent shelter which makes survival a heck of a lot easier..even if it's been picked clean, there's probably something left behind that can be useful (eg. roofing nails). If it's just a roadmap with nothing of use to me then it'd be a toss-up between the rope and the tarp, which are both hellishly useful items which are rather hard to replace with improvised substitutes.

@logang I'm assuming a 9 volt battery will likely have had its power discharged during an electromagnetic event, but i agree that your method would be a very reliable means to start a fire. (assuming Bill will let us introduce the steel wool and battery :D)

@robdoar I believe a hand crank would survive because it is not electronic, it is mechanical. The bulb or LED would probably be destroyed though.

ya the small battery inside those things would definitely be destroyed.

In general, electronics are neutralized. Anything with an integrated circuit that’s newer than the late 70s is probably destroyed — 99.9% are, which still leaves the possibility of a small number of things like radios, televisions, etc. functioning. Old tube-based radios and TVs still function, but need a power source. -

SIDE NOTE (re: emergency kit in plane)

That's why the selection list in this thread is so limited -- you might not have time or the chance to find the kit [plane on fire, kit ejected or destroyed in crash, etc.], so I wanted to see how people would choose a very basic item [the common type you would get at a department store.

I could foresee not being able to get your kit or somehow getting separated from it. Therefor it would be wise to carry the most essential items on your body. I already do this, having always a knife, fire making kit, space blanket, compass, whistle, 15ft paracord and 40ft of bankline on my belt. Even if I get separated from my backpack (contains a more complete survival kit), I will still have the most important items with me.

I have the best survival kits at home and in the car, but when it hits the fan and I'm near neither... knowledge is the best survival kit. A map would be very useful indeed but I would have to go with the tarp. Its the only thing I wont be able to make from nature in a rush. All others can be made from nature and combined to survive.

If you don't have a map, scout the area... get up high and look at the tree lines for any open tree areas, look for signs of smoke. Listen for water or any other sounds. Water leads to towns or harbors and food. Make rope out of tree bark, (branches) use the fibers to make string as well... good for fishing strapping the tarp down. Make a bow drill, also good for kindling. You can make a torch light if you really need to keep moving in the dark, but heat and light will help more. If you find a carcass (deer, wolf, a large animal) take a leg and use the bone as a weapon or tool... you be surprised how strong a bone can be and how many uses you can get from it. Think of primitive man, they got us this far. =)

Think of primitive man, they got us this far. =)

True, but primitive man didn't get dropped in the middle of nowhere in subzero temperatures with no tools or anything. And primitive man had something most of us don't: knowledge of how to survive and the skills to use that knowledge.

Also, making things from nature takes time. Making a rope for instance, takes some knowhow (what materials are usable, how to twist/braid them together etc) and (for a decent length or rope) quite a bit of time (you need to find the materials, prepare them, and then actually put everything together). And if you have to make it outdoors, without protection for your hands (for it is much harder to do with gloves on), you'd just might wish you'd taken that rope instead of the tarp.

Honestly, when I first read the post, I immediately went for the tarp as well. Instant protection from the elements is not a bad thing in a survival situation. Especially in such temperatures, where hypothermia is your first concern, a waterproof barrier that keeps you dry and blocks the wind goes a long way.

But having thought things over I decided on the folding shovel. Digging a snow shelter is not that hard and snow is a great insulator so it will help keep you warm if done right. Sure, I could make myself a shovel from things I found in nature, but it would probably be much harder to dig with. (although I would like the tarp to line my shelter with :) And even though the shovel might not make a very good hatchet, it will probably be much better at chopping branches/ splitting wood than anything I might find/ make.

Archived