I need help from an expert marksman

exeexe

So i wanted to improve my marksmanship because i only dare to use the rifle in very short range to be 100 sure of a hit. After a good night sleep and fully rested i went to the long range testing ground on Stalker and i couldnt hit anything. I even tried to overshoot the target (the 2 last rounds) to no avail. What should i do better?

I've been puzzled by the range on this 100 meters is about half the rifle's range in rl - without the battle sight or what ever that thing is called.  But generally, I'm finding that I need to be close enough to see the details of the aninmation before I can actually hit things .

I've just been informed its called a "ladder apperature" and that I am an utter barbarian for not knowing that. :)

52 minutes ago, Vhalkyrie said:

You can't shoot at that distance (you'd need a sniper rifle!).  The rifle has a range of about 100 meters, which is about where the fishing hut is in your video, maybe a little further.

No thats a musket:
" Musket calibers ranged from 0.50 to 0.75 in (13 to 19 mm). A typical smooth bore musket firing at a single target was only accurate to about 100 to 150 yd (91 to 137 m) using the military ammunition of the day, which used a much smaller bullet than the musket bore to compensate for accumulation of ash in the barrel under battlefield conditions. Rifled muskets of the mid-19th century, like the Springfield Model 1861, were significantly more accurate, with the ability to hit a man sized target at a distance of 500 yards (460 m) or more.[1] "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musket

The ammunition used in the game is 0.303 riffle rounds and the diameter of these bullets are 7.92 mm...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.303_British

This game does not actually render bullets.

When you activate the trigger on the rifle, a straight line is modeled coming out of the sights.  The surface closest to the rifle on that line then registers a hit.  That line is not infinitely long, however.  It is capped at a fixed length; anything further away then the end of the line cannot be intersected by that line because the line has a fixed length.

What you are seeing is accurate.  About the distance you can make out individual legs while looking through the sights is almost the range where the hit-line cuts out.  Unfortunately, it is actually a bit closer.  About 50 in-game walking steps is a good estimate.  Happy hunting.

Hey there,

unfortunately I am far from being an expert with the rifle. My character would have much more food if I was an expert. ;)

But from what I have seen in your video, I'd say that you have to aim higher. I do not know the English words for the rifle parts (okay, I don't know them in German, too). But while you are aiming, that thingy in the middle of the circle has to be in line with your target (the head). You aimed slightly below as far as I could see.

Keep on trying - that damn bears can't live forever. ;)

9 hours ago, Jolan said:

I've been puzzled by the range on this 100 meters is about half the rifle's range in rl - without the battle sight or what ever that thing is called.  But generally, I'm finding that I need to be close enough to see the details of the aninmation before I can actually hit things .

I've just been informed its called a "ladder apperature" and that I am an utter barbarian for not knowing that. :)

Yeah the range is shorter than what the real rifle would be able to do.

http://thelongdark.wikia.com/wiki/Hunting

• The rifle currently has a maximum range of approximately 50 paces. Targets beyond the maximum range cannot be hit.

Great video.

Isn't it interesting that the bear never bled a drop of blood during that entire encounter?  It think it is.  Cuz the game is broken!  Animals in the game never drop blood when charging or walking. Why?!? Did someone actually choose to intentionally leave it out thinking such realism was gratuitous? Or did they just forget? What's going on over there? Its not like its some new thing.  Its been like that forever.  Well, not that long, but ever since it was created.  It's annoying.

Sorry. 

22 minutes ago, selfless said:

Great video.

Isn't it interesting that the bear never bled a drop of blood during that entire encounter?  It think it is.  Cuz the game is broken!  Animals in the game never drop blood when charging or walking. Why?!? Did someone actually choose to intentionally leave it out thinking such realism was gratuitous? Or did they just forget? What's going on over there? Its not like its some new thing.  Its been like that forever.  Well, not that long, but ever since it was created.  It's annoying.

Sorry. 

I've had bears drop blood - usually when I hit them initially though the blood trail goes away.  It can be kind of creepy with wolves because alot of them leave blood trails and if you're close enough you can hear it hitting the snow.  I don't stalk them that close any more. :)

1 hour ago, Jolan said:

I've had bears drop blood - usually when I hit them initially though the blood trail goes away.  It can be kind of creepy with wolves because alot of them leave blood trails and if you're close enough you can hear it hitting the snow.  I don't stalk them that close any more. :)

they do drop blood, quite a bit.  but only when they are fleeing.  I wouldn't say running away because that is not always true since they often flee directly at and through the player.

but this bear is clearly running at it attacker, who is holed up in a shack and therefore unreachable.  so when it cannot reach its target, it resumes walking.  then sometimes charges again.  back and forth until it obviously bled out.  but never showing a drop of blood on the ice.  that is what is broken.  well, part of it anyway

31 minutes ago, selfless said:

they do drop blood, quite a bit.  but only when they are fleeing.  I wouldn't say running away because that is not always true since they often flee directly at and through the player.

but this bear is clearly running at it attacker, who is holed up in a shack and therefore unreachable.  so when it cannot reach its target, it resumes walking.  then sometimes charges again.  back and forth until it obviously bled out.  but never showing a drop of blood on the ice.  that is what is broken.  well, part of it anyway

ah, I misunderstood. :)

On 2016-04-03 at 6:36 PM, exeexe said:

So i wanted to improve my marksmanship because i only dare to use the rifle in very short range to be 100 sure of a hit. After a good night sleep and fully rested i went to the long range testing ground on Stalker and i couldnt hit anything. I even tried to overshoot the target (the 2 last rounds) to no avail. What should i do better?

I can't even see the bear in your video so it is well beyond the effective range of the TLD rifle. There are about three strategies to shoot the bear without risking a mauling:

1. Set a fire and wait for the bear to approach until it halts in front of the fire and then shoot one or two rounds into the centre of the face. This has a 50% chance of an instant kill however two bullets seem to do the job. You have the option of using only a single round and waiting for the bear to die if the first shot is not an instant kill. Using the bow and arrow may even be more effective than a rifle round although I have not had the opportunity yet to test it. You must set your fire quickly (use accelerant) because once the bear stands up, it is about to charge and it will be on you almost instantly.
  2. Get very close to a house or fishing hut and wait for the bear to get close enough for a decent shot. This can be tricky to judge depending upon your game settings since a narrower setting will make the bear appear closer, thus making it easier to use the mouse to aim. Set your aim sensitivity to about 19-20. If you set your FOV to wide, you can see more however judging distances is much harder and aiming is much harder. Once you shoot the bear, you have about 1 second to get into the hut or house. It is best to have the bear positioned so that you can shoot from inside the hut or porch where you have safety. If you have an angry bear charging around your hut, you probably don't have time to set a fire especially without using accelerant. On a recent bear hunt, my son had the bear rear on hind legs so he ran into the fishing hut and attempted to set a fire at the door. The bear mauled him before the fire started although with accelerant I'm pretty sure he could have set the fire. This is still risky. You must move to the doorway to set a fire and this is within reach of the bear. It is unlikely that the bear will be close enough to get an instant kill using this technique so you will be waiting inside the hut or house for the bear to bleed out. An "outside" shelter such as porch or fishing hut works best since you can hear the bear outside so don't venture outside or the bear will be on you instantly. The bleed out time varies according to the shot placement so refer to the wiki for the bleed times. You can use time acceleration such as boiling water or cooking however it is likely that your bear will wander off during this time and it may be difficult to find and harvest since it will not be in a wind sheltered location and you will likely need fire to perform the harvesting operation without freezing. I don't like this strategy for this reason since I want all the bear meat, hide and guts and these must be harvested within about 10 hours or it will disappear. I have watched video where a guy harvests the bear but by the time he finishes, the meat has already degraded to the point that it simply disappears and the balance of the bear is unharvestable.
  3. Locate a high vantage with cliffs preventing the bear from reaching you. There are many spots where you might think this is possible however I have found, to my frustration, that the bear is adept at finding a route to attack you once the first shot has been fired. The same risks of the bear wandering off and dying in a less than ideal spot apply as option 2.
  4. Use raw fish or meat to draw the bear to a spot for your shot. This may work to delay the advance of the bear while you work into a better location to use Option 1., the fire trap. The bait will cause the bear to halt it's stalking but this is still not good enough to take a shot since once you shoot, the bear will be on you inside a second or two at most depending on the range.

Leading the bear. This can be tricky since once the bear rears up, it has detected you and is about to charge. You want to stay at the range where the bear just turns toward you instead of wandering off but not so close that you risk a charge. Set your FOV to the narrowest to make it easier to judge the distance. You must plan your route in advance and it's likely that you may need to circle to the right or the left to draw the bear into the position so that you can move towards your wind sheltered spot to make your fire trap. I would suggest using the bear cave on Mystery Lake itself since it has wind shelter from 3 sides however safely getting to this spot will require you to draw the bear away from the den and then circle back to get to the den.

Some experimentation is necessary to optimize your bear hunting strategy and always remember that you need to harvest that bear from a wind sheltered spot. Inside the big outdoor tin shed at the Desolation Point Hibernia Whale Processing Plant is a very good spot to try to take the bear. You can retreat up the stairs where the bear cannot get at you (I think) or set a fire trap here. If you are at the bear cave on DP, the bear doesn't seem to enter the cave when you set the fire farther inside so it's important to set the fire closer to the entrance. More experimentation is necessary. There are very few useful bear hunting videos on YouTube but spending time reviewing bear hunting on TLD videos can be helpful. Check my video links out in the YouTube forum for the links. The only one I made of a bear hunt to date lacks the commentary and I failed miserably while harvesting and died. :-(

I hope to make more videos on bear hunting in TLD since it is one of the most interesting challenges of the game once you have acquired rifle rounds and arrows for hunting and you have fur clothing to work outdoors without need of fire in most situations. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of much spare time however I may decide I need a break and do that bear hunt video again. Jump to time 38:42. Please note that this is release v.282 and the bear behaviour has changed in .302/.301 to make the bear more aggressive. It's unlikely I could repeat this luring technique since the bear could charge when I venture out past the fire. I had poor clothing and no harvesting tools and I needed to move the fire closer to the bear to do the job. I have another video later on of a semi-successful bear hunt later in my play list series if I recall correctly. Again I had problems with the sound effects on that video so it's not as exciting as this one.

Here is another video of a bear hunt. Skip to 9:42 to see the start of the hunt. Again, the consequences of not having sufficient firewood to do the job and the variability of the weather played a big factor here.

Archived