Should there be modding in the game?

cekivi

Should there be modding in the game?  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello all.  Nice to see this thread still alive and active.  In the past few months, I haven't played much TLD, having spent the majority of my gaming playing free time modding up FO4 to the point of absurdity.  But...  allowing for modding has kept those games fresh and interesting.  I typically always play a game through a number of times, but after a while it all becomes predictable.   Seeing modding on the road map will help to keep this title alive for years to come, imho.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/24/2017 at 1:45 AM, nicko said:

Modders have fun with bug fixes after that? I guess you get your mod though, introduces bugs and all :)

No, not necessarily, @nicko

sometimes a mod is to fix a bug...  There are some really good modders out there, who for all practical purposes should be working in the industry, that's how good they are.  Especially when your talking immersive lore friendly mods that really significantly flesh out a game.  Their quality level of work can integrate so seamlessly that you would think it was part of the overall original programming.  But by the same token, there's some real questionable stuff produced as well.  

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

Actually didn't counter strike, portal, and team fortress all start as half-life mods?

Portal was a side project by the Valve team included as a Package filler if I remember correctly, so not really a mod as such. Team Fortress started as a Half-Life mod, then they released the standalone 'Classic' as it's own game.... then came Team Fortress 2.

On 3/24/2017 at 2:51 PM, piddy3825 said:

Hello all.  Nice to see this thread still alive and active.  In the past few months, I haven't played much TLD, having spent the majority of my gaming playing free time modding up FO4 to the point of absurdity.  But...  allowing for modding has kept those games fresh and interesting.  I typically always play a game through a number of times, but after a while it all becomes predictable.   Seeing modding on the road map will help to keep this title alive for years to come, imho.

I'm pretty excited about the modding aspect as well, mainly because the community here has tossed out some pretty solid ideas that I feel are fully in tune with the overall core of the game (No rocket boots, etc). I do a little mod work myself ... just simple code editing, and I see so much potential here for community created 'Challenges', and even whole new scenarios if we get access to 3D terrain building tools etc. I have edited versions of a couple of my favorite games .... and I sometimes switch back to the original vanilla files, and the old games feel even more fun after playing the modded versions for a while.

No one mods crappy, poorly designed games .... It's only the iconic favorites, with already great mechanics, and truly fun features that get the mod love :)

I think modding would be a fantastic thing for TLD. I think people are focusing too much on the inevitable deluge of poor mods which are likely to emerge. No doubt someone will mod a flamethrower, or make the wolves pink, replace bear textures with a custom elephant texture, or some other nonsense mods like that. The real question, however, is if these terrible mods will actually detract from the game itself; I think the answer is a decisive no!

Conceptually, allowing community mods leverages a highly dedicated fanbase with potentially hundreds of thousands of free development hours between them. The bad mods will remain bad, but the good mods...oh, the good mods could be so good! The wishlist for TLD is long, and there is no doubt in my mind that if the devs had the time they'd make fifteen new regions, a hundred new clothing types, fifty new animal types, and optimize the predator behavior well above where it is now. But development time is a precious resource! Avoiding bad mods is as simple as not subscribing to them, and they do absolutely nothing to damage the integrity of the game. Inevitably, the community will rally around the really fantastic mods, and this may even encourage the developers to consider taking on some of the QoL or other improvements (as they have with the various Civ expansions). Ultimately, if you don't like mods, you don't have to download them! But if a single mod (perhaps one which enables the construction of a small wooden crate for outdoor food storage) benefits your play style without breaking immersion or devaluing your experience, its well worth allowing people to make pink wolf skins!

I voted that I'm all for any modding.

I have played a absolute ton of MODS for multiple games...I'm playing Stalker 2009 Complete right now.

The most interesting aspects of mods though is the Total Conversion. Like Chemical Existence, They Hunger (Series), G-String Beta and it's upcoming full re-release. Games that use the tools for whatever game the Total Conversation will be played on that tell a story that is entirely non-canon. 

Being that I am a Terminator fan and actually wrote a very early draft of what eventually became Genisys I would say that I'd love to see a Total Conversion of TLD set during the Nuclear Winter before the war with the machines.

Of course this is a total pipe dream...but I think that TLD is a perfect baseline game to make such a Total Conversion if such a thing were an eventual possibility.

Also I'd totally write the living daylights out of the script for said Total Conversion so I could promise it would be very, very good. ;)

I'm all for mods.  I run most of my games that can be modded both with and without mods.  Sometimes its to try something new, sometimes its to have Mr. Pebbles on my greaser jacket.  And, hey, Skyrim needed hypothermia :).  But fun aside, the biggest reason I'm all for mods is that in the best of the games I've played I've used the mods to increase my immersion, not decrease it.  Well.... most of the time. :D

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 0:56 AM, starfighter441 said:

Actually, thinking about it I'd be ecstatic to have the sights of a Nr. 4 Rifle.

Totall agree one of the best weapons I have ever fired and that's after doing 24 years in the UK army and firing all sorts of "MODERN JUNK"

YES

The most successful games are Mods or Mods keep games alive that otherwise would've been abondoned long time ago. Sure, there has to be a good and successful game in the first place, but Mods take everything to a diffrent level.

Either Mods change everything the original game is missing or doing wrong (bugs, balancing, graphics ..) or they create real new experiences and completly new games. What i like the most, Mods are community driven, are often more successful and better that the original and are developed in a short amount of time for free.

Just imagine how many games, whole genres, we would miss if there wouldn't be modding for Half-Life, Warcraft3, ArmA or how less successful many games would be without it.

The community is able to create things, the devs just can't because the modder loves to play the game, the dev loves to create the game. Hinterland was looking for someone who's job it will be to balance sandbox "open world experience". If everything goes as planned, you will have someone who will professionally balance sandbox based on specific values/ideas, but he will not be able to balance the game like someone would do who is actually playing the game. The ideal person would be a player who knows how to mod, and not a developer who has played the game. But you wouldn't hire this "unprofessional" person. So the best way is to make modding available.

2 hours ago, MueckE said:

The most successful games are Mods or Mods keep games alive that otherwise would've been abondoned long time ago. Sure, there has to be a good and successful game in the first place, but Mods take everything to a diffrent level.

Not necessarily. There have been plenty of games that have been good and become even better with mods(and none that went the other way, as modding provides options, not restricts them). But there are plenty of games that were saved by modding. Like same Fallout 4, a disgrace for the series, complete and utter piece of shit. But with enough mods dropped on it, it becomes fairly enjoyable. Not on the level of NV, as certain parts were completely decimated by morons on dev team, like destruction of SPECIAL, but many other aspects have been expanded and greatly improved by hundreds of mods.

Long story short, mods have yet to ruin any game. Having modding capabilities is always a great plus for any game.

• 4 weeks later...

Add me on the list as in favor of modding. I know we've had lots of run in with it in the past with some of FinDarkside's save game mod and such. In fact some of the forum mod attitudes (bethany in particular) is what has kept me from this forum. So it was nice to see ralph's reply. Like many i see the advantage of it. even if its changed to fit personal preferences, people are still playing the game. And people will by other games and expansions if they can tailor it to their need. 

Archived