Mines - Navigating - Signs

nicko

I haven't played in a while and loaded up my last save. I some how made it through a mine and am currently playing on Desolation Point Map, aim was to craft some arrow heads.

From what I can now figure out is there are a couple mines to go in and out of is that correct? Do they lead to same maps? Reason I ask is I don't want to load all my gear up and end up at Tinder wolf map.

I reckon Hinterland should add some cool looking old rustic signs out side of each mine saying where each mine could potentially lead to. Would take the frustration out of navigation a bit and might make us gamers explore these mines and maps more! what do you think?

I think it would make little sense to have signs outside mines that tell us where they lead. As mines would normally not have been used for traveling between locations, you would use roads to do that. But now the roads are blocked and we can use the mines to get where we want to go. But nobody would have put up signs at the mines before, because there would have been no reason to. And besides, the names we use for locations in the game are probably not the names those locations had before the event. At least I always figured the player names them when he encounters them. Mines do have a name though, so once you find out where a mine leads to you can use that name to remember it.

Personally, I find it rather cool that I don't know where a mine might lead me and take great joy in exploring them. Not all mines lead to other maps though. One of the mines in DP exits on the other side of DP for instance.

A tip for exploring mines: use sticks or other items to mark your trail. If you run unto a dead end go back to the last junction and pick the sticks in the tunnel that leads to the dead end up. You'll end up with a marked trail from one end to the other end so you won't have to remember every turn next time you want to traverse the mine.

On 3/23/2016 at 3:30 AM, nicko said:

I haven't played in a while and loaded up my last save. I some how made it through a mine and am currently playing on Desolation Point Map, aim was to craft some arrow heads.

From what I can now figure out is there are a couple mines to go in and out of is that correct? Do they lead to same maps? Reason I ask is I don't want to load all my gear up and end up at Tinder wolf map.

I reckon Hinterland should add some cool looking old rustic signs out side of each mine saying where each mine could potentially lead to. Would take the frustration out of navigation a bit and might make us gamers explore these mines and maps more! what do you think?

It's not a spoiler to say that there's no chance you'll enter a mine in Desolation Point and come out the other side in Timberwolf Mountain region. :)

So I would say you're free to explore away!

--Patrick

I kinda liked that there were absolutely no signs about where anything would go.  I felt like a modern day Louis and Clark having no idea where things would lead.  It was terrifying, and sometimes I died.  But the good thing about being a game was I could try again!  I just completed my 100th Day.

I think you should load up a minimal amount of gear and explore.  Once you know where the cave leads, you'll know whether you need to bring more supplies.  

My suggestion is to bring a stack of sticks (20 or so).  I drop them at junctions to point me in directions back to the exit.  If I go down a deadend, I just pickup the stick and repoint it.  I never get lost in caves.  The good thing about laying down those sticks is I can always move through very quickly the next time I want to go there.

Happy exploring!

You can also always pretend that you're in this situation yourself and follow the simplest navigation method: always follow the same wall. That way if you get lost or can't find an exit you can always turn around and follow the same wall back out :)

As far as caves/mines go they're fairly safe to explore. The one exception is a cave on Timberwolf Mountain where you can walk right off a 2m (ish) high ledge and fall to the floor if you're not careful when exploring.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess we can always make our own signs, layed out on the ground somewhere of sticks or tinder. Only good though once fully explored. That is why I suggest maybe some basic signs saying where they possibly lead to.

I think it would also be a good experience / fun for us gamers to investigate signs/books/info more.

Adding more real life objects to the world also seems to make it much more life like and a better game experience in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

back to mines. I think my problems was in DP map and trying to get back to CH map.

I entered the wrong mine and just kept on going around in circles (easily done). well not circles but ending up in the same map.

Finally I had a brain wave and remember the mine higher up on this map.

On 26-3-2016 at 9:22 PM, hauteecolerider said:

Oh, they're just dark places . . . no bats, wolves or bears! Not even a rat!:winky:

Actually, if you play on Pilgrim, the cave next to the waterfall at the broken up bridge at the edge of the map has Fluffy's little sister inhabiting it (or did anyway, it's been a while since I played it).

On Voyageur it seemed to be lacking. I don't know about Stalker though. I never got that far on Stalker. A wolf jumped me in the night the other day. As it turns out, crouching isn't all that effective as it used to be.

Archived