(Camp)Fire Algorythm, duration and warm gain.

Camponote

Hi !

Much of the journey was made...

And it seems to me that it would be the time to review the (camp)fire algorithm. 

so that it is smoother, and has better developments, both in the heat in its loss gain,

with a better taken into account the effect of the wind..

it would be really good for gaming experience i think..

Interesting idea; Yes wind has a big influence on fires. Are you thinking of perhaps using a ring of stones to protect the fire?

Or the benefit of having fire in an enclosed area with rock walls or trees around to provide a wind break and reflect the thermal energy? Even a small fire can provide a big warmth bonus. It is worth pondering.

Yes I definitely wish I had some means to protect my fire from the wind. The fire keeps me warm and provides protection from wild life. The game inhibits us from building fire on hillsides (why?) and generally makes fire management problematic.

I don't think to fire, i think campfire, sorry.

Put 3 coal on a fire, add 100 sitck.. and you'll have 100 degrees 's campfire, during hours and hours.. who suddenly fall down at 9min if winds turn.

Winds could up and down campfire's heat bonus, and their duration.. 

a bit of smoothing would be become i think

And as for me, and i bet that almost every community member that had the experience to build the fire will agree to that, it is much easier and faster to ignite something indoors with no wind (in a wood stove) than outdoors on the snow, especially when it is windy. With the same items set (matches, wood) the chance to make the fire burn is considerably less outdoors and takes more time to prepare and perform that. And on the snow (outdoors) the fire will give less efficient because the heat will be absorbed by melting.

Yes, absolutely! 

It should be very hard to light a fire outdoors in the snow when the wind is low, not just impossible at a certain point. My old boss was a fisherman and could light a cigarette with a match on a rocking boat in high winds with seaspray, but that was his talent. I'd burn my fingers trying to light candles on a birthday cake as I only ever used lighters! 

Also, is there any benefit to using newspaper directly instead of harvesting for tinder plugs? I feel like that should at least increase your fire start chance as it is easier for inexperienced firestarters to use, and will run out by the time your skill has increased to compensate. 

Radiant heat mechanics would be most welcome, but I think that would be more involved as currently it seems like areas where this would work are given flat temperature bonuses whether a fore is going or not. 

13 hours ago, LucidFugue said:

Also, is there any benefit to using newspaper directly instead of harvesting for tinder plugs? I feel like that should at least increase your fire start chance as it is easier for inexperienced firestarters to use, and will run out by the time your skill has increased to compensate.

The only 'benefit' to harvesting newspaper/ newsroll is that you can light more fires with the same amount of newspaper. In earlier builds newspaper was your only source of tinder so it was really wasteful to use an entire newspaper to light a fire. Now it's easy to get all the tinderplugs you need and then some, so it doesn't really matter anymore.

I know, but there is no corresponding benefit in the "don't harvest" side, for as long as I can remember. It has always been wasteful to use newspaper directly instead of harvesting it first, which is 10 minutes effort. Unless you are currently freezing and also have accelerant to guarantee the fire will start, you should always harvest before using newspaper or newspaper rolls as tinder. 

I guess what annoys me most about this minor bugbear is that newspaper is selected first as tinder if you have it. Unless it is going to improve the chance of success (or carry some other benefit), it should always be the option of last resort. 

But I'd rather have it increase the fire start chance, because much like accelerant it is not renewable and becomes less useful as your fire starting skill increases, which will slowly alter the decision logic, while also allowing for a few factors that reduce chance to start fires without making it unreasonably difficult for new characters. 

Archived