The Long Dark: My Story CH.2

schaeff13

I awake to the rattle of the door, the wind giving it life. I rub my still tired eyes but daylight is precious. I stretch my cold body, loosening my stiff joints, the last thing you want is to pull your back out just walking through the snow. your body is the only thing keeping you alive in this cruel, cold world. I step outside, already feeling my body temperature dropping, I look up seeing the maple leaf slowly blowing in the wind, the marker of my sanctuary hopefully for awhile. I venture towards the lake, lined by large boulders and barren trees, I stand at it's beach. I look out, just a gentle snow falling I can see small shelters on the lake, and small cabins even further in the distance. The plan; scavenge, find food, maybe some thicker clothing. As much as I want to stay in the cabin back up shore, I know it's only temporary. I realize I haven't even thought of the big picture, how the hell am I going to get out of here..Remember when you were younger and would think about dying, the inevitability of it would soak into your brain and it felt like you were drowning. I felt like I was drowning, with no real idea of how this ends, I start to focus on the task at hand. Take everything day by day, with no thought of an end. I trek onto the frozen Lake. Deep cracks and moans bubble under my feet, It's stable, now my balance...not so much. I stumble closer to what I now realize is a small colony of fishing huts. Inside the first, I find a line with a hook attached, a couple candy bars and matches. A thick log rests in the corner behind the wood burning stove,. There's a frozen over hole where fishermen went ice fishing, I kick the the hole hoping the ice will break through and I can use my newly acquired line and hopefully grab some dinner...No luck. Hangry and  Frustrated, I take the log and chuck it out of the hut. Realizing I don't have time nor energy to get angry. I walk out and kneel down to pick up the log, I remember the time I had burnt the dinner and I was so upset I was trying to do something nice for my wife, and she just starts laughing at me. This of course pisses me off more so I take the pan and throw it on the ground and try and storm out of the room. I've always had such a short trigger, but she jumps in front of me and hugs me. And just whispers, " Settle into me. Just settle into me." I don't know if it was how she said it or if it was what she said, maybe it was because... it was just her. I wonder if some one's told her what's happened, I wonder if she knows... I come back to reality, and see a deer no more than 3 feet away from me. I slowly stand up with the log, our eyes locked onto each other, I start to move closer, it's ears perk, looking spooked it prances away. I don't know what I thought would happen, maybe out of a mutual loneliness I had hoped we could take on the world together and fend off the cold in his warm... WOW, I need food. I pull out a candy bar, pull of the wrapper and turn, about to take a bite. In shock I drop it, I meet the eyes of what actually scared off the deer, and it wasn't alone. Low growls resonate through their long snouts. Looks like I'm on the menu. With no Weapon, and only my will. I think fast. Log in hand, small lake cabin behind them, I throw the log, splitting them temporarily, I sprint, doing everything to keep my balance. One lunges at my right wrist and clamps down, I hit him a couple times he lets go ripping off a chunk of my coat and hopefully nothing else. I continue to try and out run them. Luckily my boots have a little more grip than their paws and I am able to make enough space. The cabin only a few feet away, I run past a broken dock and boat, a frozen man sitting by it. I make the quick decision to take his pack unsure if there's anything even in there and then scurry into the cabin. Clawing and biting separated by only a few inches of door,  I collapse on the floor. I start to shout profanity at them,  my adrenaline obviously still coursing through me, because in the slightest chance that door's hinges are frozen, they could break through and devour me, but I keep shouting. After what seems to be a few minutes I hear a bark, like a reminder that they'll be back with more of their goons. I sit myself up against a bed post, pull the other candy bar out of my pocket and take a bite. My arm slightly bleeding but not bad enough to need stitches or anything, I enjoy my victory chocolate-nut bar, and her words, " Settle into me, just settle into me," calm me down, I take a breath, looks like the cold isn't the only danger anymore....TO BE CONTINUED.....

TLD.jpg

Archived