A quick Q on fishing?

illanthropist

So I thought I'd try to bag a few achys in one play through:

Pacifist
Survive the first 25 days without killing anything (single game)

Silent Hunter
Survive the first 50 days without firing the Rifle (single game)

Living Off the Land
Survived 25 consecutive full days only consuming calories harvested from wild plants and animals (single game)

and figured I'd add to that with

It was THIS Big!
Caught a fish weighing over 5kg (11 lbs).

After doing a spot of catch and release fishing to pass the time, just wondering if they actually count as a catch and release and won't ruin the Pacifist achievement.

Just worried might have ruined it so any help appreciated.

Apparently, the answer is...quiet in the house...drum roll please....

Yes, fishing counts as killing, which makes sense, because our fishy friend is alive, then dies as a result of your action and viola, any court in the animal kingdom would convict.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/611702631248332365/?insideModal=1

Check out that link though, it has an answer for your next question; does killing a wolf in self defense count?  apparently that is downgraded to wolf slaughter.

On the bright side, start a new game in Pleasant Valley, because there is plenty of loot and carrion that'll keep you going for 25 days.

21 hours ago, Scyzara said:

I've never heard of anyone who ever released fish in TLD to be honest.

Well, going for the two 25 and 50 achy's not using a rifle, not killing and living off the land leaves you with a little time on your hands as looting stashes early on is a little pointless so thought I'd have a crack at It was THIS Big! (Caught a fish weighing over 5kg) whilst at it.

Have a feeling I've messed it up, will ask the devs when they get back from GDC.

58 minutes ago, illanthropist said:

@Patrick Carlson would you be able to shed a little light on this please good Sir?

Being a friendly fisherman myself in The Long Dark, I am curious about this as well. I have to say, I almost always harvest the fish. But you certainly have the option to leave them. I'll look into the consequences of this in terms of achievements for you. 

--Patrick

On 3/17/2016 at 6:51 AM, illanthropist said:

Well, going for the two 25 and 50 achy's not using a rifle, not killing and living off the land leaves you with a little time on your hands as looting stashes early on is a little pointless so thought I'd have a crack at It was THIS Big! (Caught a fish weighing over 5kg) whilst at it.

Have a feeling I've messed it up, will ask the devs when they get back from GDC.

Catch and release fishing shouldn't stop you from getting the Pacifist achievement. Hope that clears it up!

Archived