[Poll] Fire making alternatives

SteveP

Primitive fire making techniques   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2016-03-15 at 4:52 AM, elloco999 said:

You must have started a lot of fires to be trained in numerous ways of primitive fire starting, while starting 99,999 out of every 100,000 fires with a lighter :P

"Do the math!" :o

Obviously a two-pack a day man! That's about 7 years of heavy smoking or 13 years of pack a day smoking. :/ Now that's assuming only making one fire the primitive way. If he makes 100 primitive fires, it works out to a very long life. I don't think most smokers last that long! :P

Good poll Steve. I voted that there is sufficient firemaking to survive indefinitely. I would however use a firebow during really bad storms indoors to get some coals and get a fire going. It appears it is on the roadmap and I am super excited about that. 

Well, this dependance on modern firemaking items stops me from buying this game more than 2 years. Iam wondering how hinterland gamedesigners still didnt implemented old ways of making fire? There are hundreds ways to get fire without these modern items. Most obvious and most ancient one is using two stones by clashing them against each other and getting sparks... There are also a lot ways of getting fire based on rubbing things... This gamedesign impotence really discourage me from even thinking to play this game. Whats the point of playing long run on maximum difficulty if u will die no matter how clever u are just becasue your character is some kind of freak who dont know how to start fire without matches, gasoline or magnifiyng glass...

There are also large trees making me sad... u basically cant do nothing to them... all mankind history people cutted trees in order to make weapons, tools and use it like a fuel source for fire. But in TLD u can only look at these trees with a sad face of impotent man. Give chainsaws and woodcutter axes to players, give them wood craft (spears, tools, traps), fill forests with a more predator type animals or monsters...

On the question of lighters, what is the average lifetime of the typical disposable lighter (BIC and the like)? I don't have any numbers, but as a smoker I know my Zippo needs constant refueling, but when I get lazy and just reach for a disposable, they always work, no matter how long they've been lying around the house or in my car. I usually lose them before they go dry, although one of them did explode and pop off its cap when I left it on the dash of my car on a really hot sunny day.

In the scavenging phase of survival, I think a disposable lighter would be a good find (and pretty common IRL), although game balance wise, I'm not sure if an easily found lighter that lasts hundreds of days would fit in with TLD.

13 hours ago, TheRealNFK said:

On the question of lighters, what is the average lifetime of the typical disposable lighter (BIC and the like)? I don't have any numbers, but as a smoker I know my Zippo needs constant refueling, but when I get lazy and just reach for a disposable, they always work, no matter how long they've been lying around the house or in my car. I usually lose them before they go dry, although one of them did explode and pop off its cap when I left it on the dash of my car on a really hot sunny day.

In the scavenging phase of survival, I think a disposable lighter would be a good find (and pretty common IRL), although game balance wise, I'm not sure if an easily found lighter that lasts hundreds of days would fit in with TLD.

Disposable lighters do not last very long if you're using them often. Usually the flint wears out before the fluid gets used up; the ones that make an electric spark are even worse.

They wouldn't be at all out of place in TLD, though.

I've often wondered if it ought to be possible to dismantle a lantern and use the sparking mechanism from that for starting fires?

Im currently using disposable lighter(electric) that i bought for 50 cents. I smoke 5-7 smokes a day and lighter is coming up on 2 months. Its rather light on fluid, but i think its good for another week, maybe two. Non-electric, with same usage, usually last for a month, maybe a bit more, then flint wears off, with half the gas still in the tank.

• 6 months later...

I smoke a lot. A flint might last a month or so, 20 lights per day. A zippo refill probably closer to 5 days. A butane lighter if used continuously lasts what 3 weeks? I scavenge the flints from old Bics and they work great in the Zippo. If you use a Bic for light, it will get too hot in about 2 minutes and the top can melt off. A zippo also gets pretty darn hot if used continuously. You can also flick it on, move for a bit and then flick it on again but in pitch darkness, I'd hate to rely on one. You are very likely to get injured trying to move about in a mine or cave in the dark.

I haven't played in a while. Is it possible to make fire everywhere in a cave or mine? Some have said not however that was not my experience.

Also some mines and caves have poison gas. Fire can warn you of low oxygen. There are huge risks but maybe we don't need that level of realism.

Archived