There is a sufficiency in the world for man's need but not for man's greed

Valorfist

Let me begin by stating this is the most finished(almost complete) alpha game I've played. Hinterland raised the bar to a new high, but they keept fairly modest about it.

Back on topic:

That is my 1st enemy in this my game, my own greed. One more bullet, one more can, one more wolf/deer(rabbits are worthless after the mittens, and bears are a waste of meat), one more run thru a blizzard, one more hauling trip and let's not forget, one more STICK.

Sadly I don't recall my 1st death, but I assure you it was fast and messy. Blaze of glory(without the guns). From the beginning I played Stalker and Stalker only. I didn't used external maps for a while. I do remember my 1st spawn: near the Logging Camp.Those were some of the best moments: I died, but I know there is an hatchet in Deadfall, I died but there is a riffle under the Train Bridge. Can I just mention how absolutely magnificent is the morning from the perch of the Forestry Lookout.

Then I started using maps and I regret it. After a bit, I realized saved games can be 'manipulated' with the alt+F4 or quit the game: so as long as I was fast enough, nothing could have killed me. But then it became boring so all the 'cheated' games(50 and 63 days best clothes/supplies for months) were promptly deleted. 

I spoiled PV, CH and DP(only a little) with maps. 

For TWM I didn't, and boy when I slammed the door shut right in front of that growling beast was one of the most intense safety, mixed with fear/adrenaline feelings I've had in a while. I have only 30 days in TWM, but I had another another 100+ days on different plays that were deleted. 

So now, it's all about the challenges: Timberwolf, can't leave the map, and cannot open cargo containers. Hopefully I will avoid greed this time: will see how that goes.

"Bear" with me, English isn't my 1st language.

Hi Valorfist,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your impressions here with us. :coffee:

It is interesting to see how we react when given the kind of freedom we get in The Long Dark. Are we greedy? Are we risk takers? And then after awhile our perspective might even change as we spend more time in the sandbox. I find some of the best moments have surfaced by attempting to tell myself a certain type of "story" in the game. What kind of character is this? How would he or she react in a particular situation? It's a variation on a "challenge," I suppose. 

And it almost always leaves me with a memorable experience, even when the story ends badly, let's say. ;)

--Patrick

35 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hi Valorfist,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing your impressions here with us. :coffee:

It is interesting to see how we react when given the kind of freedom we get in The Long Dark. Are we greedy? Are we risk takers? And then after awhile our perspective might even change as we spend more time in the sandbox. I find some of the best moments have surfaced by attempting to tell myself a certain type of "story" in the game. What kind of character is this? How would he or she react in a particular situation? It's a variation on a "challenge," I suppose. 

And it almost always leaves me with a memorable experience, even when the story ends badly, let's say. ;)

--Patrick

That is how I play the game - what kind of character is she? Risk averse? Risk taker? Or somewhere in between? Loving how TLD gives me such a blank canvas - no NPC's to influence the player's choices, no main quest that must be completed to unlock the game's more advanced features - just the player and the game environment. Awesome work.

@Valorfist I agree that greed is the number one killer here, but it may be more than just greed. It may be fear - do I have enough food to survive the worst possible situation? What if I get socked in by a blizzard that rages for three days? Will I have enough food and firewood to hole up in a shelter? I find myself torn between exploring each map and planning for adverse conditions. I've spent over a week now in Coastal Highway, stockpiling items and curing guts and pelts so I can repair my clothing. I'm preparing to move on to the next map (Desolation Point, I think) from here, once my wolf pelt is dried enough to repair my coat.

Brave jumping straight into stalker, I've been like you when it comes to maps.  7 weeks been playing without then succumbed to greed earlier in the week as had spent days looking for those hidden bunkers.

As soon as I started using a map must have suffered 8 sprain injuries in one day, not just that but I got comfy, the map told me where wolves and bears spawn and I get attacked where I was not expecting,  kudos to @whiteberry-toarda for her hard work but gone back to playing without them again.

Can totally relate to that "just one more" feeling.  My undoing is usually "I can chop just one more log before dusk".  That "just one more" usually turns into a blizzard or a fog that causes landmarks to disappear, or the sun to set low enough where warmth fades fast.  I've got in the habit where I will face in the direction of safety before I start chopping so all I have to do is walk forward.  Or just not cut it so close to dark.  But the temptation is always there...!

Thank you for the quick replies guys. This sure is one very lively Community. Decent sandbox games tend to produce that...

Well I am back from a short 3 hour trip to TWM(restarted no cargo containers challenge and died due to 'saving' the flare)

Apparently wolves can kill you with 51% condition :)

I'll jump right back into it, at least the wood respawned :D

• 1 month later...

Hey guys I am back. Now I am playing The Hunted, but there is a catch: I just try to survive as long as possible.

I had around 10 days trekking in the froze wasteland so I was getting bolder and hungrier. I deployed a rope off the Forestry Lookout in ML and I killed a wolf at the bottom of it.

While chasing it I meet an Old 'Friend'. 8% Condition. I've been worse, so lets head back...Can't make it,too tired. Darkness and cold are engulfing me, I drink my last coffee and start running. I trip over a small ledge... so warm now all is bliss.

Again!

Archived