My 50 day run

craig_mclemore

Finished the end of a 50, almost 51 day run today. Spent 12-15 hours playing through. 8 of that all on my day off work. Once the youtube videos are up I'm sure people will say I should have done this, that but honestly I do point out a few things I could have done different but in the end I think I could have crammed maybe 10 more days being super OCD but I am happy with the run overall. In the end I'm sitting starving in the Camping office, buck naked atop enough firewood to burn a fire straight for a week and I started to fire my rifle in the air. I died how I lived.

screen_7dce2590-d4de-4789-a3a8-fb5657645

NICE RUN!!! Starvation huh? At what point did you start running around 'naked and afraid'?

Afraid at that point no lol I had survived 3 wolf attacks. I did run out of clothes around day 45 I think but my stockpile at the camping office was so huge as long as I didn't run around outside I was good. If I had been a little smarter earlier on I might have gotten maybe 10 more days out of it but I'll let the videos when there up tell the true story. Cloth is just the one thing that will lead to your end everytime no matter how well you manage. The one resource you can't renew.

Guest Alan Lawrance

Amazing work Craig!! Congratulations!

Really enjoy your videos, and your feedback on the game. We'll certainly need to analyze your epic run. :)

Cloth is just the one thing that will lead to your end everytime no matter how well you manage

TRANSLATION: "Add To Wishlist: Devs, can we make naked snow angels"

Snow_Angels.jpg

HOW HAS THIS NOT BEEN ADDED TO THE GAME YET!

This was supposed to be a completely silly reply, but actually I now think I would just about die laughing if I found a frozen corpse with a snow angel next to it. Just one on the map, random... sorta like, "Oh hell, I'm gonna die for sure...screw it, I'm making one last snow angel!"

Maybe a random roll chance (very rare), where if you're about to die outside that would interrupt the death screen and it says sometime like, "You're death is imminent, would you like to make one last snow angel?" Then, the death screen could say, "You died from exposure while making a beautiful snow angel".

A snow angle of some kind needs to be added! :twisted: (irony)

Wow, this is impressive! I've been able to survive for about seven days in my ongoing run but quickly running out of options. I suspect once all the loot is found it's all about hunting deer and foraging for wood. But there's only 10 rounds for the rifle to be found, and the guy apparently needs a deer every 2nd day to survive. IF you are careful with it and never miss...

Fighting wolves mano-a-mano for their meat can't be a very good idea... :mrgreen:

By the way, I saw mention of the "Steam Leaderboards" but I cannot actually find one on Steam for TLD?

Actually, you can find more rounds. On my current run, I first found a rifle in 96% condition plus 10 rounds at the Trapper's Homestead and after that, I've found 3 boxes more, which totals 25 rounds. Maybe not as good a deal as you'd imagine as I've only been able to find one sewing kit and the Trapper's Homestead was missing some stuff that's usually there.

For the leaderboards, go to TLD home page in Steam and select Achievements -> Leaderboards tab.

For the leaderboards, go to TLD home page in Steam and select Achievements -> Leaderboards tab.

Thanks. It's not easy to find - at least for me there is no Acheivements/Leaderboard tabs at all, or they don't work. Maybe because it's still Alpha?

It took some digging but I found it at last by manipulating the URL.

For anyone else it's:

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/305620/leaderboards/

It doesn't show up in the global list and there's not any (apparent) link from the store page that I can see.

http://steamcommunity.com/stats/

http://store.steampowered.com/app/305620/

I see I am at #21, that's pretty good. Usually in games I am in the six figures :oops:

:roll: My full run will be on the youtube channel by the weekend. It all basically comes down to a careful managing of food supply, wood and keeping that rifle and hatchet maintained. Also your luck can vary on the loot drop. No rifle can happen at the Trappers homestead so you'll have to try your luck at the Dam then with Wulfy guarding it is no mean feat. On this run I had no basic tool kit drop but luckily you can still repair without it though I wouldn't use scrap metal until your repair skill is around 90. One run I had no sewing kits which makes clothing repair impossible. The 50 day run I had like 9 sewing kits drop which is uncanny lol.

Leather is never a problem from hunting but only applies to boots. So OCD managment of your clothes is a must always take off and store what you can while your inside to maintain the min. temp you need to keep warm enough. But no matter what you do cloth will eventually run out so it's a careful guessing game but I did manage to live for about a week naked and that is a story in itself. You just have to see the run my words cannot do it justice was insane lol. :roll: :roll:

Heather you were a tough one to beat. You have crazy survival skills. Rewatching the run I can see alot of stuff I could have done better so I'm definitely thinking a 60 day run is not out of the realm of possibility with the current build in the game. Was just musing if there was some kind of craftable bow and a renewable cloth resource I could go on forever lol.

And just wait until we release the next Sandbox region. You're going to lose your minds!!!

Game Disclaimer: Playing The Long Dark may result in unexpected side effects, including: losing track of time wandering through winter forests, the urge to walk into strangers' homes in search of sewing kits and used cotton long underwear, an unusual compulsion to purchase 4 cans of peaches and 6 can openers when grocery shopping, poking sleeping people to see if they're actually asleep or frozen, moments of panic and terror whenever you hear a barking dog behind you (chihuahuas included), the habitual urge to close windows with every breeze even in the middle of summer because of the in-game wind effects, daily family meals consisting of nothing more than beans/candy bars/energy bars and water because you you figure that should be enough to get everybody through the night, if a bird chirps (even a parakeet) you search the area for a dead body, extreme nervousness whenever a neighbor calls out for their pet named Fluffy, contemplation every time you see a friend passed out at a party and you start thinking "I wonder how much raw meat I can stuff and store in them for later", and (for non-Canadians) the urge to explain to everyone why you want a toke so desperately [Hint] :mrgreen:

[bBvideo 560,340:2uq7uuvv]

[/bBvideo]

Chihuahuas have always provoked the flight-or-fight response whenever I see them. I think it's more about the kind of people who own the little monsters than the actual dogs though :mrgreen:

If the game had roaming packs of feral Chihuahuas, that would be something :eek:

Archived